protein powders and stuff.......

Options
bonjour24
bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
so, you know how in the book they talk about the necessity of having a protein shake after each workout? well,i can't justify spending an extra $40 (nzd) every week or 2 on the stuff. i'm thinking i might just have a hard boiled egg, because eggs are way cheaper and i usually have a bunch in the fridge already prepared. is there anything else that i need that an egg can't give me? i'm sorry if this is a daft question, but i did a search and all that came up was different types of powders and the best tasting ones.

TIA

Joni

Replies

• evedroid
    evedroid Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    are your macros set on 40/30/30? because as long as you meet them on a daily basis, i dont think it matters where are you getting your protein from.
    in fact the powder only supposed to be a supplement in case you are unable to reach the recommended amount, the important thing is to have something protein filled after a workout. but thats only my opinion so dont take it for granted.
    i personally wouldnt be able to reach my macros without a shake. (then again, im lactose _and_ egg intolerant so im a different matter.)
  • BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    You might try 2 boiled eggs. It's best to get around 20 grams post-workout (from what I've read).
    Here's some info: http://www.menshealth.com/mhlists/guide-to-protein/protein-after-workout.php
    It may not be the best article, but it's got a lot of good information.
  • lcuconley
    lcuconley Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    protein shakes and bars just make the consumption easy. eggs, lean meat, etc, totally work fine.
  • GreenTeaForDays
    GreenTeaForDays Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Technically not all protein is equal. Whey protein is supposed to be better absorbed by the body then other sources, especially vegetable sources, but honestly, I can't be bothered to think that much about it but some people might be. I really struggle to get a lot of protein in my diet because I love carbs and have a massive sweet tooth. Protein powder can make it easier, but isn't necessary.

$40 every 2 weeks seems like a lot. There are some places where you can find it cheaper. The cheapest I've ever found was at Sprouts which is a chain grocery on the West coast. A very large container of Whey protein was about $20 and it would last me quite a while and was pretty good quality. I'm not the type to have protein powder multiple times a day though. There are a lot of recipes I want to try with it, like protein powder pancakes, so even though I don't use it a lot it is nice to keep around.

Other sources of protein...

I really like fat free plain greek yogurt because I can add things to make it sweet (honey, fruit, chia seeds) or savory (hot sauce, soy sauce, basil, salt, etc) to use as a dip or topping on vegetables. You'll see about 20+ grams of protein per cup. [Greek yogurt + salt + paprika + cayenne + a little mayo is SOOOOO good topped on baked sweet potato].

I also eat a lot of eggs, especially when I am in a rush. I make fried rice and put 2 eggs in it for a quick lunch.

Beans and lentils have quite a bit of protein too and are CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP plus they have the added benefit of fiber.

For extra protein I shred poached chicken and add it to soups. I'll often buy frozen chicken breasts in bulk and then poach them in vegetable broth with vegetables. I'll shred a bunch of the chicken and add it to my meals all week and use the rest of the broth and chicken to make a soup. Add lime juice, white pepper, various vegetables and egg noodles for a tangy spicy chicken noodle soup, so good!

Tuna salad, cottage cheese, tofu... a few more sources....

I also really like Think Thin bars, 20g of protein for about $1.70. I save them for when I'm rushed in the morning or something...
  • Nefetete
    Nefetete Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    In all honesty, and I use protein powder myself its mostly due to convenience in making a quick shake then having to cook something. Other then that I believe that its always better to get protein from food first and foremost. smcknight listed a great list of protein rich foods already.

In regards to the cost though, I buy Body Fortress, Cookies & Cream 2 lb from Wal-Mart for 21 bucks and it lasts me a few months. I mix it with water and wola got my protein covered. So really it can be very affordable & quick.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 12,005 Member
    Options
    I do protein shakes because they are uber-convenient. I don't think it's as expensive as the OP is suggesting (I buy mine at Costco and so, I drink 1 x protein shake 5 x per week and the "container" lasts me about 6 weeks, I think....and maybe it's $39??)

Anyway, in my opinion, it matters not what sort of protein - so if eggs are your pleasure, I say GO FOR IT!
  • bonjour24
    bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    sorry, i should have specified that i live in new zealand. i've looked in the supermarkets and health shops, and all of the powders seem pretty expensive for a pretty small tub. but i've never used them so i don't know how long they would last. but when we're talking in 'scoops' and 'cups' (for protein bar recipes) there is no way that they would last longer than a week. no way at all. so i may just stick with a post exercise egg! until i get sick of them and they make me gag- then i may reconsider.

thanks for all of your replies. very helpful.
  • FitterTerri
    FitterTerri Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Hi bonjour24, I'm an aussie and I buy my protein powder from ebay. I paid $95 ($70 for the powder and $25 for postage) for a 3kg tub which is 75 servings. So that would equate to 3 months worth ($31 per month). I live approx half way between Sydney and Brisbane in a rural town so I'm not near any of our larger shops to be able to pick them up rather than post. If you search the internet, you will probably find a great bargain.

Hope this helps.
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    I'm in Australia and I agree, protein powders are expensive. I've started buying them as I can't meet my macros otherwise. I don't like shakes though and add the powders to my porridge at breakfast. So far I've just been buying what's on special at the supermarkets. My current one (Vital Strength chocolate blast) is pretty yuk! If you find a good one, let me know!!
  • jonesin_am
    jonesin_am Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I sometimes have a large glass of chocolate milk (supposedly good protein to carb ratio) for a quick shot of protein post workout. I get the kind that was made from milk from grass fed cows which (in my case) doesn't contain the corn syrup and other crap that conventional chocolate milk has. Don't really know if it's a good suggestion but works for me and gives me a little sweetness.
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Low fat cottage cheese is an excellent source of post-workout protein, because it contains a lot of casein protein, which is absorbed very slowly and evenly by your body.

As long as you are meeting your protein goals for the day, you should be able to go without a shake.
  • valeriewxy
    valeriewxy Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I'm in Australia and I agree, protein powders are expensive. I've started buying them as I can't meet my macros otherwise. I don't like shakes though and add the powders to my porridge at breakfast. So far I've just been buying what's on special at the supermarkets. My current one (Vital Strength chocolate blast) is pretty yuk! If you find a good one, let me know!!

Optimum Nutrition's double rich chocolate mixed with milk is awesome tasting! ^^ I'm not from Australia (am from Singapore), but I'd guess one could get ON anywhere? ^^;