How many times do you run per "week?"

Options
Angelsrose12
Angelsrose12 Posts: 37 Member
The Apps that I have seen for couch to 5k (and other 5k training programs) have had 3 days of running per week. But if you do it that way, you have at least 2 days where you don't run at all. This seems counterproductive to me. Right now I am doing strength training on my "off" days, but I ran 2 days in a row this week, so if I don't run today or tomorrow, I will be off for 3 days in a row. I feel like if I did this I would lose all that I gained in terms of stamina. Is there any reason you wouldn't recommend running daily, in particular in the beginning?

Replies

• likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Your muscles and joints need time to heal and gain strength. You will get the most out of your runs and best avoid injury if you have at least one FULL rest day a week and run no more than 3-4 times a week. Remember, though, each extra day you run is a day that your body doesn't get to repair itself.

However, the bottom line is to listen to your body and make the program work for you - if you feel energetic and healthy you probably won't have a problem with working in another day. I have two little ones, so my schedule was based on when I *could* run. Sometimes that was four days a week, sometimes three, once it was two. I wouldn't recommend that, based on the program, but I was fine.

In general, the length of time it takes your body to adapt is:
    - Blood vessels - 1-3 weeks
    - Heart/Circulation - 2-4 weeks
    - Muscles - 4-6 weeks
    - Tendons/Ligaments - 8-10 weeks
    - Knees - 18-20 weeks
    - Brain - 24+ weeks
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    The number one cause of injury in new runners is too much too soon. There is a reason why there are rest days between each day of C25K and one of the biggest things is to let your body heal.
    1. Doing too much too soon

One of the biggest mistakes new runners are seen making is not building a proper base. When first making the decision to become a runner and possibly deciding to go for a certain goal, new runners can get very excited. Adrenaline is pumping, enthusiasm is at his highest and motivation is through the roof. Motivation is so high that you can head out the door and easily find yourself running farther then you’ve ever run before, whether that be around the block or a mile or 10 miles.

However, it is important for new runners to reel in this excitement. Whenever starting a new activity such as running, it is important to ease into it. Do not make the mistake of going to far to soon or running too fast before you are ready. Ease into a training program by gradually building up both your distance and your running intensity or pace. By easing into your training program the beginning runner can drastically decrease their high risk of injury.

http://www.runaddicts.net/start-to-run/6-biggest-mistakes-of-beginner-runners

In the beginning stages of running, when you first start out you will actually be strength training your legs. Yes...eventually the strength gain will stall and you will no longer get a true "strength" train from running.

Also, to answer the topic question, I JUST started running 4 days a week. My current running schedule is:

Monday - 2 mile run
    Tues - 1 mile slow recovery run
    Wed- no run
    Thurs- 2 miles run
    Fri- no run
    Sat - 3 mile run
    Sun - no run

Every 3 weeks I am adding 4 miles, so next week it will look like this:
    Mon - 3 mile run
    Tues - 1 mile run
    Wed - no run
    Thurs - 3 mile run
    Fri - no run
    Sat - 4 mile run
    Sun - no run
  • Angelsrose12
    Options
    Thank you so much for that input! I did run/walk 4 days this week, three of which were back to back. I will try to space it out more next week. Obviously since it is the first week, I am not running the entire time and have been able to walk long distances for quite a while now. If I space it out more, do you think it would still be ok to do 4 days? Again, your post was super helpful!
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    Personally I don't recommend pushing the program. Your are building your base at this point and there's a lot of adjustment going on in your legs/feet as well as cardio system. Those rest days in between runs are important for healing and muscle growth/repair. You really need to build a solid 3-mile base to move on to other programs that often have you running 4 days a week. That's my plan for later this month when I start the 10K training. The program is 4 days a week but each run is different, with one day of fast intervals, one day of hill work, and two runs - one easy and one long.
  • jsidel126
    jsidel126 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    When I did c25k last summer, I started the first half of the program running 6 days a week since I had no issues with this arrangement. I didn't find the first half of the program very taxing. The last half of the program I dropped this to 4-5 times a week to give me time to recover. With recovery days, I could run faster on my run days than if I didn't rest. Most of the c25k program was done outdoors on fairly level paths. Once I finished the program and was able to run 3 mi., I added hilly routes into my run mix. These routes made my legs stronger, improved my breathing and improved my overall speed.

Now that the calendar says its spring, I am working on developing a 3 mi base again running 3/4 times a week...Then increasing mileage over time....
  • pet1127
    pet1127 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    When I did the C25K I ran every second day
    so three one week 4 the next always a day rest in between
  • fitplease
    fitplease Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    I run 3-4 days a week. I use c25k for three days and interval train (a long run/walk) one day. REST days are essential. If you are truly out of shape, I don't recommend adding a fourth day.
  • Stripeymitten
    Stripeymitten Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    i run every other day regardless of what day that then falls on.
  • Angelsrose12
    Options
    So can walking count as "rest?" Or strength training? I am not completely out of shape as I have been doing Chalean Extreme on and off for about 8 months. I have just never been a runner. I tend to walk between 3.5 and 4 mph as a natural stride (I am pretty tall with super long legs) Essentially I am training both for a 5k and also for a work trip to Costa Rica this summer where I will have to be able to hike up mountains and walk pretty decent distances.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Angel, when I went through the C25K I started on the treadmill and then transitioned to outside. But, I still did an extra 3 mile walk every day off work (and still do for that matter) at the dog park ON TOP of my run. Walking while you are doing C25K is really, really, really good. It gets you time on your feet Just make sure it is a brisk walk, but nothing too taxing. Walking a very good "active recovery" from running, especially when you get into the later weeks.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    You are asking all these really good questions that runners have spent pages and pages arguing about. What I've read steers me to one "full" rest day a week. I cross-train on the others (yogilates today).