Weight loss grinds to a halt when I exercise

Options
Hi,

I have about 14-17lbs left to lose (this is my goal, although I just about scraped into the normal BMI range).

I lose weight slowly but regularly without exercise, but the minute I add in exercise (I've done 30DS and various other Jillian Michaels workouts) I can't lose an ounce and even gain 1-2lbs. This isn't even temporary as it continues for months, although I do see inch loss. This has happened several times and ultimately puts me off exercising.

As my goal is to carry on losing weight, can you advise me? I eat to lose 0.5lb-1lb a week as this is just over my BMR. I also weigh and measure foods. Thanks!

Replies

• FoodandFitness
    FoodandFitness Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    If you are losing inches in the right places, that is certainly progress. If you would weigh the exact same you do now but have the look you want, would your weight even matter?

If you're not making any progress, it's time for a calorie cut at 5-10%. Don't worry about your BMR. It's just an estimation as are the calories. Your plateau is likely a result of consuming more calories without realizing it. Check out my video on fat loss plateaus if you want more info on that http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18hWej4e1u0
  • AllergicToExercise
    AllergicToExercise Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Thanks for taking the time to answer my post.

It certainly shouldn't matter, but as for many people, it's a hard habit to break!

I'll try cutting back a few more cals and see if there's any progress. The whole BMR/starvation mode talked about a lot on MFP has put me off from going too low, but what I'm doing now isn't working so I'm happy to try something else.
  • FoodandFitness
    FoodandFitness Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Starvation mode, meaning you can't lose any more weight because your calories are too low, is a myth. Your metabolism can slow, but its not so significant that you can't lose. It happens to everyone on a diet to some degree.