Supplements vs real food

Options
shorty35565
shorty35565 Posts: 1,425 Member
I know a lot of people who take whey & casein. I do take whey myself, but only a 1/4 of my protein comes from that supplement. 3/4 comes from meats & the like. Which is a better source of protein? Or does it even matter?
I ask because idk anything about casein, so I was reading the difference between it and whey. Bodybuilding.com sort of suggested that one take both. But I wouldn't even know where to fit in casein. Typically (if I'm not having a bad day & stay on track) I get in my body weight or close in protein with only 1 shake. So should I try to use casein too?

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    IMO, it is better to get your protein from food as it is...well, food, but there is nothing wrong with supplementing. Whey isolate is a very good source of protein and has something like a 99% bioavailability. The 'problem' with the protein from some other sources is that they have a lower bioavailability and may not have all the essential amino acids. Meat and animal products have a good bioavailability and will have all the essential amino acids (i.e. they are a 'complete' protein').

With regard to casein and whey, both have some evidence to indicate that one is better for different things. So, generally, I would say, use both to CYA if you are not getting enough from your diet. However, I know that, for example, Layne Norton has expressed a concern with the slow release of casein in that it does not release in large enough quantities in one go to stimulate muscle protein synthesis as well as something that releases quicker, like whey. However, you should note that most foods are slower release proteins.

You get casein from food as well (e.g. dairy), so if you are hitting your protein target with primarily meat and animal sources, there is no need to supplement with whey or casein.

Adding to clarify as I re-read the response and it may be misleading: you can get adequate protein from non-animal sources, but have to be more careful with your targets and sources to ensure your get enough due to the bioavailailty as well as the fact that some EAA's may be missing.
  • shorty35565
    shorty35565 Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    IMO, it is better to get your protein from food as it is...well, food, but there is nothing wrong with supplementing. Whey isolate is a very good source of protein and has something like a 99% bioavailability. The 'problem' with the protein from some other sources is that they have a lower bioavailability and may not have all the essential amino acids. Meat and animal products have a good bioavailability and will have all the essential amino acids (i.e. they are a 'complete' protein').

With regard to casein and whey, both have some evidence to indicate that one is better for different things. So, generally, I would say, use both to CYA if you are not getting enough from your diet. However, I know that, for example, Layne Norton has expressed a concern with the slow release of casein in that it does not release in large enough quantities in one go to stimulate muscle protein synthesis as well as something that releases quicker, like whey. However, you should note that most foods are slower release proteins.

You get casein from food as well (e.g. dairy), so if you are hitting your protein target with primarily meat and animal sources, there is no need to supplement with whey or casein.

Thank u :) Everything I needed to know!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Locking as I think (hope) you have got your answer and to help us track open/active threads better. If you want to add anything, please PM either myself or SideSteel, including the link, and we will reopen.
This discussion has been closed.