Realistically - this is mostly water right?

Options
BAMarsh
BAMarsh Posts: 72 Member
I'm eating about 2000 calories on workout days, which has been every day this week until today since I also run.

I JUST started lifting Monday - so M/W/F lifting and T/Th run.

I checked my measurements today - just for fun because I "felt" different.

I'm down 3.5 inches!

neck -0.25
boobs -0.75
chest (just under boobs) -1
ribs -1
waist (bellybutton) -0.5
hips -0.5
bicep/tricep/thigh no change
calf +0.5 (which is NOT what I need, at 16inch already)

I know not to expect this every week - but when you start something new, that although it makes me sweat and I can feel it in my breathing right afterwards, you wonder if it's really doing anything. Even if this IS all water - there's something making me lose that water, and since I wasn't losing like this before I started lifting, there's only one explanation, right?

Oh - and my weight only went down 0.2 in that week.

Replies

• BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    I lost really quickly the first month of NROL4W too. I don't know that it's necessarily all water weight...I did think mine was partly due to eating better (less bloat). But whatever it is from, it is a loss! Celebrate it and keep on lifting :)
  • becca2911
    becca2911 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I went from 123 to 121.5 in my first week, 1 inch off my waist and 0.5 inches off everywhere else, 0.5 inches up on my biceps. I think it was mainly the change in diet for me and less bloat!
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    Doesn't water usually go up when we start lifting?
  • becca2911
    becca2911 Posts: 149 Member
    Options

I've heard it goes up when you bulk, and then you lose it during the cut
  • BAMarsh
    BAMarsh Posts: 72 Member
    Options

I've heard it goes up when you bulk, and then you lose it during the cut

Yeah that's what I read yesterday on someone's blog...that she knew when she started to cut that the first part of weight loss would be a lot of water from bulking.
  • BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options

Weight =/= inches. Many people have an increase in weight due to the increase in water and glycogen going to the muscles for repair. Inches may not reflect this. Some women will lose inches drastically while staying the same weight or even going up in lbs. OP has only lost .2 lbs which could be normal fluctuation. Going from bulking to cutting can cause a sudden weight drop for a week or two.
    It really all depends upon how close to TDEE you're eating as well as other factors (how your body reacts to the cut, protein and carb levels, etc.).

BAMarsh, keep it up!