Measurements/ weight/ body fat% - NOT happy :-(

Options
jo_marnes
jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
Ok, so just started stage 3. I am doing this program having switched my workouts from 90% cardio and probably undereating for a few years. My weight was low (50kg), BMI lowish (18.5) but fitness level was great.

Recognised I was too thin, decided to a) eat more and b) do some lifting. Hence this program.

So here I am, 3 months in and I have gained 2.5kg. That's ok. I'm cool with that. Except that my body fat % is up 3% and my measurements haven't changed. WTF? I want to gain lean mass, not fat :-(

I'm eating approx 1900 cals. My TDEE varies between calculators, from being 1900 - 2400. Having increased from 1500 I'm hesitant to increase further at this stage. I am following a 40/30/30 which I meet protein wise but tend to fall short on fat most days. I log my workouts as burning 160 cals (thats what MFP has set for me when I log strength training). I am smaller and fitter, I do have lower burns than the majority.

My typical workouts are:

Mon- workout A
Tues - circuits class
Weds - off/ walk
Thurs - workout B
Fri - 40 mins cardio DVD/ walk
Sat - workout A
Sun - off /walk

I am a Mum of three, not working but active round the house. Although I am studying and do spend a lot of time sat down writing assignments etc!

My diary is open.

WHY am I gaining fat? I don't feel I am eating enough to gain fat? And even if I was eating enough to gain weight, with the NROL4W workouts, shouldn't I be gaining lean muscle too?

Fed up trying to guess what my body wants :-(

Replies

• breezedaze
    breezedaze Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    What are you using to measure..if you're smaller and fitter then I would guess that the measurements you are taking are not accurate
  • jo_marnes
    Options
    The scales @ the gym and a PT measures me with a tape. I don't own my own scales. I don't disagree that body fat scales are inaccurate, but my body fat% has always been 14 - 15% on these scales and today it was 18%
  • becca2911
    becca2911 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    a fluctuation of body fat % can happen due to hydration levels... so if were dehydrated your BF% will have read higher
  • swingsnatchlift
    swingsnatchlift Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    How frustrating. I know you've posted about this before and you are clearly bothered and not happy.

Setting all the numbers aside, are you happy with what you see in the mirror? How do you feel overall and when you lift? Maybe the 15% was wrong (I would think at that point you would maybe not have TOM anymore and possibly see other physical changes, for instance in your hair). Is there any reason why the 18% would be different, i.e. hydration, salty meal day before, TOM, eating just prior? I know my scale can fluctuate wildly each day. I don't concern myself because it's the long-term trend I'm concerned about.

Your measurements haven't changed, which is a really good sign. If you started out thin, then some of your measurements may have to go up as you put on muscle.

How long have you been eating this way and exercising this way? How hard are you pushing yourself in the workouts? I wear my HRM, so I know I'm kicking my own ars when I lift, as I should be because I keep the upping the weights as appropriate, as long as I have good form. Anyway, You need to give it 30 days before you tweak anything.

Overall, what is your goal? It's not clear to me. I would put a plan together to execute toward that goal, measure your efforts periodically, and tweaking your plan.

Can you get your body fat measured another way? Here, a local university will do a variety of things, including RMR testing and body fat testing with Bodpod, DEXA scan and calipers all for a reasonable fee.

FWIW, I looked at your log, and for the past two weeks you averaged 1874 calories per day, but netted 1684. You may need to eat more or less, but that's your decision and I don't have all the information to provide a recommendation one way or another. Personally, given your starting body fat, why not just do a clean bulk, knowing you'll gain fat and muscle, and then do a cut cycle?

Using the Katch-McArdle formula on Scooby, your TDEE is 2069 and BMR is 1335 (I used your height of 5'5" and weight of 120 from another thread that I posted on, and used 18% body fat, so I'm not a stalker :wink: ).

Really, I would just go with how your clothes fit, how things look in the mirror and your energy level. If you're still frustrated, have your body fat measured by a more reliable method and possibly meet with a Registered Dietician so you are able to eat properly to meet your end goal. GL, and keep us updated. :smile:
  • ASecretBobby
    ASecretBobby Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I have bf scales and weigh in every day to keep me on track, the bf fluctuates by 2/4 % most days so another day could be different, you might find calipers a better form for you
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 12,005 Member
    Options
    i don't think any of the ways you are measuring "body fat %" would be considered 'accurate'.

So, for me, it's difficult to see why you would be "upset" with a number that, at best, is a "phantom" number, anyway.

Go and get a DXA scan so that you can REALLY be sure as to what your body fat % is. You'll LEARN so much about what makes up YOUR body - you won't be disappointed!

Oh, and keep lifting heavy - THAT is a step in the RIGHT DIRECTION!
  • lcuconley
    lcuconley Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with beeps and others.

1. Bio impedance is inaccurate...don't get caught up by a phantom number.
    2. You are getting stronger! AWESOME.
    3. You recently started eating more and lifting. It makes sense that you have gained, but I really don't think it's fat.
  • jo_marnes
    Options
    How frustrating. I know you've posted about this before and you are clearly bothered and not happy.

Setting all the numbers aside, are you happy with what you see in the mirror? How do you feel overall and when you lift? Maybe the 15% was wrong (I would think at that point you would maybe not have TOM anymore and possibly see other physical changes, for instance in your hair). Is there any reason why the 18% would be different, i.e. hydration, salty meal day before, TOM, eating just prior? I know my scale can fluctuate wildly each day. I don't concern myself because it's the long-term trend I'm concerned about.

Your measurements haven't changed, which is a really good sign. If you started out thin, then some of your measurements may have to go up as you put on muscle.

How long have you been eating this way and exercising this way? How hard are you pushing yourself in the workouts? I wear my HRM, so I know I'm kicking my own ars when I lift, as I should be because I keep the upping the weights as appropriate, as long as I have good form. Anyway, You need to give it 30 days before you tweak anything.

Overall, what is your goal? It's not clear to me. I would put a plan together to execute toward that goal, measure your efforts periodically, and tweaking your plan.

Can you get your body fat measured another way? Here, a local university will do a variety of things, including RMR testing and body fat testing with Bodpod, DEXA scan and calipers all for a reasonable fee.

FWIW, I looked at your log, and for the past two weeks you averaged 1874 calories per day, but netted 1684. You may need to eat more or less, but that's your decision and I don't have all the information to provide a recommendation one way or another. Personally, given your starting body fat, why not just do a clean bulk, knowing you'll gain fat and muscle, and then do a cut cycle?

Using the Katch-McArdle formula on Scooby, your TDEE is 2069 and BMR is 1335 (I used your height of 5'5" and weight of 120 from another thread that I posted on, and used 18% body fat, so I'm not a stalker :wink: ).

Really, I would just go with how your clothes fit, how things look in the mirror and your energy level. If you're still frustrated, have your body fat measured by a more reliable method and possibly meet with a Registered Dietician so you are able to eat properly to meet your end goal. GL, and keep us updated. :smile:

Funny you point this out. I have just had my 2nd TOM in 2 years, I was definitely amennorrhic because of my weight. So that is a good sign I am getting healthier.

No dexa etc here in Adelaide. I have looked into this a lot in the past. There is no where I can go without paying $$$ for flights. I even asked my dietician!

I am fairly happy with what I see in the mirror. But I do feel I am looking bigger. Its ok at the moment but I don't want the trend of putting on fat to continue unchecked is all. My aim? To look incredible I suppose, lol. I want defined abs. Someone once told me it was impossible after 3 kids..... I'm out to prove them wrong!! lol

I will continue for now. Thanks for all your replies. I will re measure in a month and see where I'm at!
  • beckkotsch
    beckkotsch Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I think the other girls have great advice. I don't really have anything new to add other than I feel you. I'm at the end of stage 3 and I kinda just feel "meh" about my results so far. I know I would probably get better results if I cleaned up my eating a bit though and pushed myself a wee bit harder in some of the moves. The scale isn't moving for me either although I've been losing inches, which is great.

I've loved stage 3 and I'm almost tempted to re-do it. I feel like I kinda just was going with the motions and not really giving it my all. I feel a boost of motivation now though so hopefully my results will get better!

Hang in there and just keep lifting!!!