This may be a strange question...

Options
mjpbgtd
mjpbgtd Posts: 115 Member
I'm still new to lifting - today was my heaviest session yet. So I have to ask -- is it normal to feel totally out of it after a lifting session? I lifted during lunch and then had to hurry back to the office to get to a meeting. I got back, sat down with my executive and realized that I felt completely stoned. I sat in the meeting with a buzz - I didn't feel bad or light headed or anything, just - STUPID - or stoopid as the case may be. Thankfully I didn't have to run the meeting, just smile and nod! Please tell me this is normal.

Replies

• KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    I've never experienced that at all. Maybe that's something you should ask your doctor about.
  • mjpbgtd
    Options
    Hummm... will do - happens that I'll be meeting with him tomorrow. Thanks!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I have not experienced that myself. Will see if anyone else has/knows what may be going on.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    exercise brain. totally normal. it happens to me all the time.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I have never experienced this. It's generally been quite the opposite - after a lifting session, I feel tired but alert. Have you been eating properly?
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    I used to need to nap after a long run the first year I ran long distances, but now (a few years later) I don't need to as much. Not sure if its the same idea or not:)
  • j4nash
    j4nash Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    if i worked out really hard yes, or caffeine.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

I get that during, not after. For some reason adding up the plates becomes difficult..and I work with numbers!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

I get that during, not after. For some reason adding up the plates becomes difficult..and I work with numbers!

man, i've messed up adding plates so many times. i'm an engineer!! i used to be able to do differential equations in my sleep!!

but also afterwards. i've had problems remembering my locker combo. once after the gym i went to get coffee and breakfast, and the guy took my order and i paid him, and i walked right out, with no food!!!
  • mjpbgtd
    Options
    I used to need to nap after a long run the first year I ran long distances, but now (a few years later) I don't need to as much. Not sure if its the same idea or not:)

I've definitely had 'runner's high' before, this was similar but not as intense. It wasn't an unpleasant experience, just unexpected.
  • ladyace2078
    ladyace2078 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    When I push really hard and haven't stayed hydrated or eaten enough I sometimes feel that way. I notice it more if I don't get fat or if I do intervals without enough carbs.
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    When I have a particularly good, heavy sesh I definitely feel high afterwards. Not stupid high, just, elated, happily buzzed.
  • BikerGirlElaine
    BikerGirlElaine Posts: 1,631 Member
    Options
    That sounds like a your brain released a huge rush of beta endorphins, which is very normal.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    My soul temporarily leaves my body after heavy deadlifts
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Locking as I think (hope) you have got some decent input and to help us track open/active threads better. If you want to add anything, please PM either myself or SideSteel, including the link, and we will reopen.
This discussion has been closed.