Constantly sore

Options
bfitgirl
bfitgirl Posts: 138 Member
Hi all,
Just wondering what you all do to work out all those knots and sore spots you pick up from weight training. I'm been strenght training for 4 years now and do a bit of stretching pre/post workout but I always have pain, and not just cos I've just a new program, its just general body aches, I do x 3 workout per week and a stay at home mum so.

I recently had a full body massage, gift for birthday, I swear the poor girl was in a heap after working on me, she even found knots on my forearm, ouch! (Ooh I wish I could afford a massage every week)

Replies

• rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Check out "foam rolling". My physical therapist suggested it for my bursitis and IT band issues. You can foam roll just about your whole body.
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Check out "foam rolling". My physical therapist suggested it for my bursitis and IT band issues. You can foam roll just about your whole body.

^^ This
  • ukgirly01
    ukgirly01 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Absolutely foam rolling, I do it before every work out and usually after too
  • bfitgirl
    Options
    thanks, I do a bit of foam rolling pre workout but not after, maybe I'll try to do it post aswell and try not to rush out the door!
  • Cassierocksalot
    Cassierocksalot Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I foam roll too but also I found that adding glutamine to my water helps too. I actually haven't had to touch my foam roller since I started back with my trainer.
  • starbucksbuzz
    starbucksbuzz Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Yoga!
  • hayleyclare34
    hayleyclare34 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I definitely agree with yoga! They have relaxation/stretching ones which is basically the main component to a massage - relaxation. Some people don't realise the power of being completely relaxed - amazing! Yes working those knots out and having elbows in your back feels good, but relaxing can do as much if not more than that :)
  • MissPeppers
    MissPeppers Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Why do you stretch before weight training? Many believe that it's counter productive and it won't necessarily help your soreness. After I started with a "warm-up set" with lower weight before I go to my max I've not been sore barely at all. It's worth a try :smile:
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,943 Member
    Options
    I work-out all the time (always have) and, after age 40, I have (frankly) noticed that I am sore nearly ALL THE TIME.

The *only* time I'm not sore is if I'm on vacation and am NOT working out! (But, then, I don't sleep too well....) Very counter-intuitive! (Meaning: body should reward 'working out' WITH NO STIFFNESS, but, instead, my body is stiff all the time.)

I *do* foam rolling, but only my IT band, after every work-out. And, I stretch for about 8 - 10 minutes after every work-out, too....I can only IMAGINE how stiff I would be if I did NOT do even that!
  • erinsueburns
    erinsueburns Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I use a marble rolling pin to roll everything out.
  • ukgirly01
    ukgirly01 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Why do you stretch before weight training? Many believe that it's counter productive and it won't necessarily help your soreness. After I started with a "warm-up set" with lower weight before I go to my max I've not been sore barely at all. It's worth a try :smile:

My trainer wrote this blog http://nickgrantham.com/?s=Foam+roller on why to foam roll before training, it's an interesting read
  • stephaniemejia1671
    stephaniemejia1671 Posts: 482 Member
    Options

I vote for this.
  • bfitgirl
    Options

Hi, Yes I always do a warm-up doing 2 sets of my program working up the weights, and initially 4 years ago when I started weight training I didn't seem to pick up aches but in the last 2 years definitely feel it.
    My trainer gave me the stretches depending on what was bothering me.

I've just bought a Trekker Roller for home so hopefully it may work. But may have to think about doing yoga as others suggested.
  • tocara
    tocara Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    deep tissue massage to work out the kinks in my muscles. helps with recovery too.