48+ hour bump :flowerforyou:
  • pandorakick
    pandorakick Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Ooop- you are so polite, giving us a flower rather than calling us peckers. I will try to address the follow up tomorrow.
  • pandorakick
    Options
    Thanks Sara, looking forward to it!
  • pandorakick
    Options
    :drinker:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    :drinker:

Sorry - I was going to respond over the weekend but flaked. I will respond properly tomorrow as I am about to go into a food coma!
  • pandorakick
    Options
    Don't stress, I know you're really busy :wink:
  • AbbeyDove
    AbbeyDove Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Tagging along . . .
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Regarding lifting: as I wrote above, I don't see myself doing All pro's anymore come October. It's getting a tad boring to do the same workout day in, day out. So, what program to do next? 
    I was thinking of Wendlers 5/3/1 in a 3 day per week schedule, but I'm not certain I should shift from a full body to a split routine with the start of a bulk. What would your advise be?
    5/3/1 is an intermediate program and you will not make the same gains that you will on a program more in line with your 'lifting life'. You also need to be really careful at programming the assists, otherwise you just do not have the volume to make the most of the possible gains. A possible alternative would be a 2 day split - either upper/lower or push/pull repeated twice a week - so 4 days. However, I would still lean towards a 3 x a week full body where you can add hypertrophy range assists in.

How long have you been lifting in total?
    I started with ChaLean Extreme in October, and while I realise that it isn't a "proper" lifting routine, I did progress in the weights used. Then in March I started All Pro's.

Also, I prefer 3 days of lifting per week, leaving 3 days for any other workout of choice. I'm not apposed to another full body routine after All Pro's, suggestions?
    At the moment I'm still working out from home with my trusted dumbbells. However, I'm approaching the limits of dumbbells for some lifts (42 kg total weight SLDL anyone?) so I'm mentally preparing myself to join a gym again somewhere the upcoming 2 months.

How many days can you dedicate to lifting? You say you only want to do 3 days a week, so this makes your options limited. There are a number of alternatives but any full body would have you doing very similar lifts to what you are now...and often more simplified, such as SL. You could look to do a 2 day split, so you do each 2 x a week. I would not recommend splitting further as you really should be hitting each major muscle group more than once a week. A 2 day split allows more time for assist work than a full body but gives you enough volume/frequency imo.
  • pandorakick
    Options
    How many days can you dedicate to lifting? You say you only want to do 3 days a week, so this makes your options limited. There are a number of alternatives but any full body would have you doing very similar lifts to what you are now...and often more simplified, such as SL. You could look to do a 2 day split, so you do each 2 x a week. I would not recommend splitting further as you really should be hitting each major muscle group more than once a week. A 2 day split allows more time for assist work than a full body but gives you enough volume/frequency imo.
    Lifting for 4 days per week would be less ideal logistically, especially when going to a gym, but still do-able. Are there certain 2 day split routines youwould recommend for a beginner lifter?
  • clairemarie1016
    clairemarie1016 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Curious to hear response...
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Lifting for 4 days per week would be less ideal logistically, especially when going to a gym, but still do-able. Are there certain 2 day split routines youwould recommend for a beginner lifter?

So as I see it, there are two main options (and a myriad of choices within them):

1) full body for 3 x a week

2) 2 day split - like a push/pull split or an upper/lower split. I would go with a 5 x 5 format for compounds and a 4 x 8 - 10 format for assist/iso lifts.

I can get back to you with a suggested split if this is the way you want to go. You can also adapt a full body to add more assists in. You just need to play around with the timing of the compounds.

Are there specific muscle groups you want to focus on?
  • pandorakick
    Options
    So as I see it, there are two main options (and a myriad of choices within them):

1) full body for 3 x a week

2) 2 day split - like a push/pull split or an upper/lower split. I would go with a 5 x 5 format for compounds and a 4 x 8 - 10 format for assist/iso lifts.

I can get back to you with a suggested split if this is the way you want to go. You can also adapt a full body to add more assists in. You just need to play around with the timing of the compounds.

Are there specific muscle groups you want to focus on?
    For variations sake I think I would go for the 2 day split, I would really appreciate suggestions! Muscle groups that need some attention are legs and glutes. My squat is relatively weak and the bum could look better :laugh:
  • pandorakick
    Options
    :heart:
  • Barbellgirl
    Barbellgirl Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Panda, have you looked at Bret Contreras' Strong Curves program? It might be just what you are looking for. :)

ETA: here's a link to a 46 page PDF file with pages from he book. It's another 3-4 dy a week full body program.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/StrongCurves/Strong_Curves_Final_Sample.pdf
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Hi!

Sorry for the delay.

A 2 day routine could look something like this:

Push A:

BB Bench - flat (5 x 5)
    OHP - BB (5 x 5)
    DB Incline Bench
    Chest Fly
    Bicep brocurls

Pull A:

Squat (5 x 5)
    Deads (3 x 5)
    Cable Row
    Lat pull down or Pull ups
    Calves (optional)
    Abs (standing cable crunch)

Rest

Push B:

OHP - BB (5 x 5)
    BB Bench - flat (5 x 5)
    DB Incline
    Chest Fly
    Triceps (overhead cable or skullcrushers)

Pull B:

Squats(5 x 5)
    BB Rows (5 x 5)
    Face pulls
    Calves (optional)
    Abs (hanging leg raise)

Unless otherwise stated, sets/reps would be 3 - 4 sets (depending on time) and 8 - 12 reps (abs can be higher reps at 12 - 15).
  • pandorakick
    Options
    Hi!

Sorry for the delay.

A 2 day routine could look something like this:

Push A:

BB Bench - flat (5 x 5)
    OHP - BB (5 x 5)
    DB Incline Bench
    Chest Fly
    Bicep brocurls

Pull A:

Squat (5 x 5)
    Deads (3 x 5)
    Cable Row
    Calves (optional)
    Abs (standing cable crunch)

Rest

Push B:

OHP - BB (5 x 5)
    BB Bench - flat (5 x 5)
    DB Incline
    Chest Fly
    Triceps (overhead cable or skullcrushers)

Pull B:

Squats(5 x 5)
    BB Rows (5 x 5)
    Face pulls
    Calves (optional)
    Abs (hanging leg raise)

Unless otherwise stated, sets/reps would be 3 - 4 sets (depending on time) and 8 - 12 reps (abs can be higher reps at 12 - 15).
    No problem Sara, thank you for your input!

If I read it right this routine would consist of an "A" workout day and a "B" workout day? Does the order matter in which the exercises are to be done? The reason I'm asking this question is because for day A you put both the squats and DL's halfway through the routine. :smile:

Also, how to deal with progression? Keep something like the All Pro progression? Increase in reps for a fixed number of weeks, have a test day and then increase in weight with a set % or amount. Or would it be more the goal to increase every workout?
This discussion has been closed.