Step up step height

Options
Hi - quick Q - I'm sure this is in a thread somewhere but I can't find it.

Is it better to do a lower (not low but lower) step and have heavier weights for the step ups, or a higher step even if I can't up the weights as much?

Thanks!

Replies

• becca2911
    becca2911 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I would say step height is important. I use 16 inches consistently and have upped my weights each workout, starting at 6KG

16 inches is just under knee height for me..
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I would say to start with light weights and gradually increase your step height while maintaining good form, and once you're at the tallest step height you're going to use (a weight bench for me -- there's nothing higher at my gym) then increase your weight.
  • lcuconley
    lcuconley Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Step height is more important than adding weight. It is important to use the step where your thigh is parallel to the ground in order to maximize use of all of your leg muscles, especially glutes.
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    In conjunction with this, how many of you can actually step up, that is not push off with your trailing foot? I finally am perpendicular but I am not yet strong enough so that I don't use my trailing foot. I'm working on it tho.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    Step height is more important. When your foot is resting on the platform, your leg should form a perfect 90 degree angle. Meaning your thigh is parallel to the ground. Then it's best to increase the height again so your knee is slightly higher than your hips. Once you've mastered this height, then increase your weight.

I use 8 risers on each side of the step platform.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    I would say to start with light weights and gradually increase your step height while maintaining good form, and once you're at the tallest step height you're going to use (a weight bench for me -- there's nothing higher at my gym) then increase your weight.

Once you increase your weight, you should start back at the bottom again, right? I put my hip out for three days trying to step too high with heavy weight. OUCH!
  • bizco
    Options
    In conjunction with this, how many of you can actually step up, that is not push off with your trailing foot? I finally am perpendicular but I am not yet strong enough so that I don't use my trailing foot. I'm working on it tho.
    That's cheating! :smile:

If I can't step-up without pushing off the floor with the trailing leg, I decrease the weight. I focus on the actual step-up, pushing through my heels instead of toes and squeezing the glutes throughout the movement.
  • lcuconley
    Options
    That's cheating! :smile:

If I can't step-up without pushing off the floor with the trailing leg, I decrease the weight. I focus on the actual step-up, pushing through my heels instead of toes and squeezing the glutes throughout the movement.

agree...using the bottom leg to push off is not allowed. I find it hard from a coordination perspective...legs were meant to work together...but if you are actively pushing with your standing leg, reduce your weight.
  • bizco
    Options

Once you increase your weight, you should start back at the bottom again, right? I put my hip out for three days trying to step too high with heavy weight. OUCH!
    No, I don't. Once I reached the ideal height (knee is slightly higher than hip) I just kept increasing the weight as often as I could. You might have an issue with your hip flexors. There are exercises and stretches designed specifically to increase your hip flexor strength.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options

No, I don't. Once I reached the ideal height (knee is slightly higher than hip) I just kept increasing the weight as often as I could. You might have an issue with your hip flexors. There are exercises and stretches designed specifically to increase your hip flexor strength.

Thanks, will definitely have to Google those. Of course, I pretty short (5'0") so the bench I stepped up on was likely waaay to high for me.
  • SweatpantsRebellion
    SweatpantsRebellion Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Step ups are so hard. I started with the wrong height and had to decrease my weights once I got the right height. I find that I have to really really really focus on my core or I start wobbling to one side or the other as I'm pushing down and trailing leg is coming up. Anyone else have that problem?
  • Luvs_Rage_Phish
    Luvs_Rage_Phish Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the feedback everyone - super helpful!
  • RUNN3Rmom
    RUNN3Rmom Posts: 441
    Options
    I find that I have to have a slight push from my trailing leg but it is ever so slight...and then I use my heel & leg to get straight up. I use a 65lb BB...I have tried to lower weights but still have to have help from my trailing leg. I am only 5'2" and am using about 16-20 step. Now that I have read all these posts I am going to try using the weight bench instead and less weights to see if my form will improve.
  • kmsairam
    kmsairam Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I find that I have to have a slight push from my trailing leg but it is ever so slight...and then I use my heel & leg to get straight up. I use a 65lb BB...I have tried to lower weights but still have to have help from my trailing leg. I am only 5'2" and am using about 16-20 step. Now that I have read all these posts I am going to try using the weight bench instead and less weights to see if my form will improve.

I'm 5'2" as well and I use the weight bench. I would like to try a barbell but I'm nervous about losing my balance (do you balance it on your back??). I use 25 lb DBs.

I have to focus on not using my trailing leg and on keeping my balance -- I have to stare at a single point (usually myself in the mirror) without wavering. But my overall balance has improved immensely since completing NROL4W. Step-ups in Stage 1 compared to Stage 7 were done much differently. :)
  • Chameleongal
    Options
    How many step ups do you do per leg. I'm a novice and started using my dining room chair with 5lb weights. I'm at 15 lbs weights and feel like with each increase in weight, I should be doing more than 10 steps on each leg.
  • lcuconley
    Options
    How many step ups do you do per leg. I'm a novice and started using my dining room chair with 5lb weights. I'm at 15 lbs weights and feel like with each increase in weight, I should be doing more than 10 steps on each leg.

if you are at the beginning of stage 1, you should be doing 15 reps with each leg. 15 with your non-dominant leg followed by the same number for your dominant leg. that drops to 12 reps, then 10, then 8 for the rest of stage 1.

If you feel like you should do more reps, increase your weight.