Whole 30: No changes so far- love some support

Options
greenmeena
greenmeena Posts: 118 Member
Hi all,
So years ago I changed over to Paleo when I suspected I had a gluten sensitivity- and I was right. Well, I never gave up sugar etc at that time, so thought I felt better I didn't feel awesome.

Anyway- long story short- 2 years of grief and VLCD as a result of it, went off the wagon and was eating "gluten free" everything when I was eating. Discovered EM2WL, and began a reset... boy did I gain a bunch of weight! Lol! Nothing fits! Still, it was to be expected. Then when I came off the reset, nothing happened. This is while following New Rules of Lifting for Women too, so I'm active and working hard.

Well, I realized being a sugar junkie was probably the problem (i mean a real junkie) even though I was trying to keep my calories at 2000 per day (more or less).

So I started Whole 30 on March 25 to help me get back on track, to truly get into Paleo instead of Paleo Lite like I was doing. Anyway- I am following it to the letter, as described; not necessarily logging calories as they do not recommend that (and it makes me a little crazy). Nothing has changed. Maybe 2 weeks isn't enough time, and I need to be more patient? All these stories I read have people saying that their clothes were fitting better in no time. The whole reason my clothes don't fit is because of the reset, which I began in December... I just want to go back to normal!

If you followed Whole 30, what was your experience? Did you see changes? How long did it take? I am committed to this as a lifestyle, not just some fad diet to help me cut after my reset. So no matter what this is how I'll be eating. I'm just frustrated, I want to wear my favorite skirts by the time it really warms up.

:(

support appreciated, thanks.

Replies

• Lindsikin
    Lindsikin Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Green,
    Where can I find more information about Whole30? I have the book it starts with food on my kindle. Where else should I go for more information on the 30 days? thanks!
  • mikeroobuddha
    Options
    I noticed some pretty quick results but I literally went overnight in for a penny in for a pound!

I think I'm probably a bread junkie in the same way you like the sugar but I've gotta say although it was hard and there were some cravings, once it was out of the way I felt so much better for it!! :smile:
  • dancingdeer
    dancingdeer Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I tend to have a lot more success with Paleo eating when I cut way down or eliminate nuts in the beginning. I can end up eating 500 calories very easily! Also, too much fruit. I try to limit to one piece a day if at all.

Perhaps you need to get back to logging all your food and taking a look at your calories. They DO matter.

Also, maybe you're still detoxing all the sugar out of your system. How long have you been on the Whole30? I haven't followed that particular program, but I have followed the 21 Day Sugar Detox, which is by the woman who wrote Practical Paleo and has the Balanced Bites podcasts. Only difference I can see is the Whole30 allows a lot of fruit, where 21 DSD allows 2 fruit choices only.

I too am a sugar junkie! The only way I can stay away from it and keep on track is eating Paleo.

Good luck -

Feel free to add me if you like!
  • greenmeena
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I did some more digging today and found some information that may be helpful, which is fructose malabsorption. Seems like folk with IBS are more prone to it. After reading the symptoms, and the foods that trigger, it may indeed be the problem. That or SIBO (small intestinal bacterial overgrowth). Both of which are treated by elimination diet, healing the gut by starving it of sugars and taking probiotics, enzymes etc (and bone broth! Yay!) for several weeks, after which sometimes things can be added in slowly.

It would certainly explain a lot! Whole 30 does say to limit fruit to 1-2 servings per day but they aren't adamant about it. I am going to combine the FODMAP diet into the Whole 30 (since i"m already eating pretty clean) and see what happens. I'm actually not eating much fruit or nuts, ironically- thought I'd be hitting them hard!- but I was eating a lot of onions and other things which can apparently irritate that condition, if it is what's wrong. Guided by the fact that I have a terrific amount of bloat, I think so. Funny- one thing they did say is that fructose malabsorption can interfere with weight loss; so all the weight i put on intentionally with the reset that won't go, may leave once I get my poor belly all healed up.

I'll see how that goes, and I'll post when I feel better to let you all know how it went!
  • SnicciFit
    SnicciFit Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    ...Maybe 2 weeks isn't enough time, and I need to be more patient? All these stories I read have people saying that their clothes were fitting better in no time.

If you followed Whole 30, what was your experience? Did you see changes? How long did it take? I am committed to this as a lifestyle, not just some fad diet to help me cut after my reset. So no matter what this is how I'll be eating. I'm just frustrated, I want to wear my favorite skirts by the time it really warms up.

:(

support appreciated, thanks.

For me (and several others that I have gone through the Whole30 with, the "magic" almost ALWAYS happens in the 2nd half! Hang in there! I'm about to start my 4th Whole30 on 4/15. I'm not familiar with the "reset" program that you tried, but whatever it is, it could take longer than 30 days for you come back from it. I know that with every Whole30, my digestive issues get better and better. Some people go 45 days, some people 60, some even go 100! It's not a "quick fix" by any means, but most people do see SOME SORT of results after 30 days (clearer skin, better sleep, more energy, weight loss, less bloating, better bowel movements...etc.) Be patient and hang in there. Feel free to add me if you want.
  • Brieshon
    Brieshon Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Green,
    Where can I find more information about Whole30? I have the book it starts with food on my kindle. Where else should I go for more information on the 30 days? thanks!

The Whole 30 website with shopping lists and stuff is at http://whole9life.com/2012/08/the-whole30-program/. I think they charge for the full plan, but you can get the general idea, and google search around for the specifics. It's basically paleo-based. No grains, no dairy, no legumes, no sugar or sweeteners, no processed foods, no cured meats... So basically veggies, fruits, non-cured meats, and non-legume nuts, lol. Hope that helps!
  • Brieshon
    Brieshon Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I did some more digging today and found some information that may be helpful, which is fructose malabsorption. Seems like folk with IBS are more prone to it. After reading the symptoms, and the foods that trigger, it may indeed be the problem. That or SIBO (small intestinal bacterial overgrowth). Both of which are treated by elimination diet, healing the gut by starving it of sugars and taking probiotics, enzymes etc (and bone broth! Yay!) for several weeks, after which sometimes things can be added in slowly.

It would certainly explain a lot! Whole 30 does say to limit fruit to 1-2 servings per day but they aren't adamant about it. I am going to combine the FODMAP diet into the Whole 30 (since i"m already eating pretty clean) and see what happens. I'm actually not eating much fruit or nuts, ironically- thought I'd be hitting them hard!- but I was eating a lot of onions and other things which can apparently irritate that condition, if it is what's wrong. Guided by the fact that I have a terrific amount of bloat, I think so. Funny- one thing they did say is that fructose malabsorption can interfere with weight loss; so all the weight i put on intentionally with the reset that won't go, may leave once I get my poor belly all healed up.

I'll see how that goes, and I'll post when I feel better to let you all know how it went!

My best friend has IBS and (almost positively) has fructose malabsorption. She eats a vegan diet that helps her manage it - not sure of the specifics!

As far as Whole 30 goes, I felt like crap for the first 4 days or so, then started feeling more and more awesome after that! I did notice weight loss right away the first week, but I had a lot of retained water from eating junk, so I think that is why. I have consistently lost weight, but I have a lot to lose! ;) More importantly, my clothes fit looser, and I feel soooooo much less bloaty and lethargic.

I did cheat for some gluten-free cake on my birthday (I started over my 30 day count the next day, lol) and felt absolutely HORRID for about 12 hours - gassy, bloaty, exhausted... I couldn't believe it! When I am good on the plan, I am able to run around with my kids, my temper is more even, my skin is clearer (no dandruff!!), and my PMS symptoms are even better!

I don't limit my fruit, though - if I did, I'd barely eat 800 calories a day! I usually eat apple and almond butter for breakfast with maybe a hard boiled egg or two, a salad with steak or chicken for lunch, carrots and cucumber for snacks, maybe a few almonds, and usually either fish or chicken with a ton of veg for dinner (mmmm... roasted garlic broccoli last night!). Even eating as much of Whole 30 foods as I want, I barely get to my 1400 calories/day. It's crazy!

Anyway, good luck!
  • greenmeena
    Options
    Hi all! I thought I'd give a little update... it seems that fructose malabsorption was the problem. I now have a better guideline... I am still following the Whole 30 but have a list from the FODMAP diet on what foods are safe and which to avoid for fructose malabsorption. It's only been 3 or 4 days but already the bloat is gone. I literally lost 5 inches from my belly- all gas and water. What relief! Now I can finally see the progress of all my hard work, 3 levels of NROL4W so far! Yay!!!

Sucks though, because it means I can't eat things like apples, mangoes, nuts, avocados, coconut, cherries... some of my favorite things... oh and garlic and onions. Apparently if I can heal up my gut lining it may be possible to add those things back in slowly, one at a time, later and see what i react to. I feel so much better though!

I couldn't manage my IBS or fructose malabsorption without meat though... I'd never make it. One of the hardest parts is going to be making sure I get fat at each meal since I can't eat cheese right now, and avocado or coconut butter (so sad!!!!) and I hate olives. Sigh. I guess spoonfuls of coconut oil (which I don't react to).

So happy I've found reasons for the stall out!
  • pattyproulx
    pattyproulx Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    Great to hear you've figured it out! My wife and I are starting our first Whole30 tomorrow! I'm excited for it! :)
  • TotalBodyRenos
    Options
    I haven't yet started the whole30. I have read the book, but I wanted to take 1 step at a time. The only thing left to rid my diet of to start the whole 30 is the sugar, but it did take 2 weeks for me to feel better. week 1 of no gluten, grains, dairy, soy ect had me craving everything in the book!, week 2 was a crazy *kitten* detox...week 3 was great! now i'm starting week 4, then I will rid the sugar....But only during week 3 did I start losing the bloat, the inches and the pounds!