What can I expect from some added cardio?

Options
NikoM5
NikoM5 Posts: 488 Member
I'm well versed in the areas of lifting and diet but I've always hated cardio and have thus never really done any, unless you count my lifting. My goal is to drop a few more percentages of body fat. I'm well aware that I could do this through diet alone which is the most efficient way to go about it but I've reached my diet threshold. I make sure to get at least 1.5g protein per lb of body weight, I avoid excessive carbs, and I don't worry about fat too much. That is as accurate as I care to get with my diet. So this leaves cardio as my only option for fat loss. I have a beautiful Water Rower machine that I bought a few years back which I intend to finally start using. I'm planning on doing 3 x 30min HIIT sessions per week. Do you think this would be enough to drop a couple of BF%'s over a couple months?

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I'm well versed in the areas of lifting and diet but I've always hated cardio and have thus never really done any, unless you count my lifting. My goal is to drop a few more percentages of body fat. I'm well aware that I could do this through diet alone which is the most efficient way to go about it but I've reached my diet threshold. I make sure to get at least 1.5g protein per lb of body weight, I avoid excessive carbs, and I don't worry about fat too much. That is as accurate as I care to get with my diet. So this leaves cardio as my only option for fat loss. I have a beautiful Water Rower machine that I bought a few years back which I intend to finally start using. I'm planning on doing 3 x 30min HIIT sessions per week. Do you think this would be enough to drop a couple of BF%'s over a couple months?

Actually your other option is to make a diligent effort to upregulate NEAT. Since you hate cardio I would suggest this method.

(Cliffs: Get off your *kitten* more frequently, park further away, take the stairs, get up and go on a few walks (1/day would be a good start).

I find this method both effective and much more tolerable than cardio, but all that being said you could just do cardio if that's your preference. I'm mentioning the above because it sounds like cardio really isn't your preference =)
  • NikoM5
    Options

Actually your other option is to make a diligent effort to upregulate NEAT. Since you hate cardio I would suggest this method.

(Cliffs: Get off your *kitten* more frequently, park further away, take the stairs, get up and go on a few walks (1/day would be a good start).

I find this method both effective and much more tolerable than cardio, but all that being said you could just do cardio if that's your preference. I'm mentioning the above because it sounds like cardio really isn't your preference =)

I'd much prefer doing the HIIT rowing.
  • NikoM5
    Options
    Got up a half hour early and started my HIIT style rowing this morning! Felt pretty damn good too! Seeing results is the key for me I think. I haven't stuck with cardio long enough in the past to see results, whereas with weights I can see the negative results if I stop for even a week. So hopefully I can stick with this long enough to see some positive results and that should keep me motivated! As per my original question, do you think 3 x 20 or 30 min HIIT sessions per week would yield noticeable results?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I hate cardio also...except for 12 minutes of lazy arsed 'cardio' at the end of my lifting session, I never did it while cutting.

You could also look to do light conditioning work like complexes as long as it fits in with your lifting schedule. I found them far more palatable than cardio.

Plus, as SideSteel says, increase NEAT - it is a very underestimated tool imo.

Including the short sessions you note should definitely help some.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Eric Helms (aka SideSteel's man crush) youtube video: Balancing Cardio and Caloric Intake(Fat Loss) - a really good listen (and he mentions my favorite - complexes).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmEJGR1_sZc

An important thing to also consider is recovery from HIIT. Most people do not really do HIIT, but actually Interval Training, which has less of a negative impact to recovery. On the flip side, LISS *can* interfere with muscle and strength gains/maintenance if done excessively (endurance training).
  • fresh_start59
    fresh_start59 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I had to look up NEAT: Non-exercise activity thermogenesis

"Cliffs: Get off your *kitten* more frequently, park further away, take the stairs, get up and go on a few walks (1/day would be a good start."

These things really do help those of us who are extremely sedentary. The "get off your *kitten* more frequently" and "parking further away" are the biggest keys for me, especially since I can't think of a single public place in my city that has a flight of stairs.

But ...
    When it comes to burning fat, wouldn't 15-20 minutes of a more vigorous cardio activity provide more burn than a 30- to 40-minute walk? Walking is good and very healthy for people like me who are obese, but dang, it's BORING to walk just for the sake of walking. I was hoping to ramp up the activity (to a slow jog) so I can get in more calorie burn in less time.

Thoughts?
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I had to look up NEAT: Non-exercise activity thermogenesis

"Cliffs: Get off your *kitten* more frequently, park further away, take the stairs, get up and go on a few walks (1/day would be a good start."

These things really do help those of us who are extremely sedentary. The "get off your *kitten* more frequently" and "parking further away" are the biggest keys for me, especially since I can't think of a single public place in my city that has a flight of stairs.

But ...
    When it comes to burning fat, wouldn't 15-20 minutes of a more vigorous cardio activity provide more burn than a 30- to 40-minute walk? Walking is good and very healthy for people like me who are obese, but dang, it's BORING to walk just for the sake of walking. I was hoping to ramp up the activity (to a slow jog) so I can get in more calorie burn in less time.

Thoughts?

In terms of efficiency if you can burn more calories in less time then that's absolutely fine to do, but the OP in this thread originally mentioned not enjoying cardio in which case upregulating NEAT may be a preferred option.

I also hate cardio and I don't do it at all. Can't stand it.

But if you enjoy it, and you'd rather jog/run than walk, then go for it.
  • fresh_start59
    fresh_start59 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Eric Helms (aka SideSteel's man crush) youtube video: Balancing Cardio and Caloric Intake(Fat Loss) - a really good listen (and he mentions my favorite - complexes).

What an interesting video!
    Stuff he's talking about is for people way, way above my level. But what he's saying is all about facts, science, studies ... and he explains these things in a way that makes sense to a lay person, while making it really interesting.

Obviously, I'm much more geek than athlete. LOL
  • NikoM5
    Options
    Thanks for the replies guys! NEAT isn't going to work for me as it's a bit too random. I prefer a more regimented approach. My training is my training and my life is my life. I don't like to mix the two! This is also why the diet portion of this lifestyle is the hardest thing for me.

Anyhow, i wasn't really looking for suggestions on what to do, although I appreciate the suggestions. I have a Water Rower and I'm using it 3 mornings a week. I do a 3 min warmup, followed by 8 cycles of 90sec low/30sec high and then a 3 min warm down. I'll reduce the low time as I get better. I was mostly curious if people thought this was enough to see some results after a while. Mostly I'm looking to uncover just a little more abs for once!
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Anyhow, i wasn't really looking for suggestions on what to do, although I appreciate the suggestions. I have a Water Rower and I'm using it 3 mornings a week. I do a 3 min warmup, followed by 8 cycles of 90sec low/30sec high and then a 3 min warm down. I'll reduce the low time as I get better. I was mostly curious if people thought this was enough to see some results after a while. Mostly I'm looking to uncover just a little more abs for once!

I would just eat less, but, whatever floats your boat.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    How much are you lifting that you need 1.5 g pro/lb bodyweight? That's pretty high for most. I occassionally hit that, but not regularly.
  • NikoM5
    Options

I would just eat less, but, whatever floats your boat.

I've taken my diet as far I car to. I'm also not looking to necessarily drop any weight overall. A mild recomp if you will
  • NikoM5
    Options
    How much are you lifting that you need 1.5 g pro/lb bodyweight? That's pretty high for most. I occassionally hit that, but not regularly.

1 to 1.5g per lb of body weight is the recommended amount of protein for efficient hypertrophy.
This discussion has been closed.