Looking for more atheist friends!

Options
Hi,

I'm a fairly new MFP member and I'm looking to add more friends. I'd love it if they were all super-cool atheist folks!

Height: 5'3"
Starting Weight: 167lbs
Current Weight: 160.2lbs
Goal Weight: 125lbs

I've been an "out" atheist for about 3 years, but pretty much never believed in a higher power, despite being raised in a Catholic family. I'm interested in being part of a weight-loss support group but I'm also very interested in how others came to/realized their atheism. Please share your story with me and add me as a friend!

Replies

• soldier4242
    soldier4242 Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    I completely understand. When you are the sort of person that sees prayer as talking to yourself it can be annoying to hear person after person claim it helped them lose weight. I'll shoot you a friends request.
  • halflife1978
    halflife1978 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Well, you know, talking to myself *is* helping me lose weight.

It's more along the lines of DO NOT TOUCH THE CUPCAKE than WASH AWAY TEH SINZ though
  • soldier4242
    soldier4242 Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    I can agree with that but notice that when you say "Don't touch the cupcake." you are the person in control and actually making the choice. The advocates of prayer think that there is some sort of actual action being taken by an outside force every time they request assistance from they deity telepathically.
  • ohenry78
    ohenry78 Posts: 228
    Options
    Well, you know, talking to myself *is* helping me lose weight.

It's more along the lines of DO NOT TOUCH THE CUPCAKE than WASH AWAY TEH SINZ though

I lol'ed at "TEH SINZ". Nicely done.
  • Morgalla
    Morgalla Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    You, and anyone else who wants, can add me. I usually access MFP via my phone or Kindle, so there is not way to reach "community" (only friends you have already) from there. I'm from an atheist family, been raised by Freethinkers, and am surrounded by an ocean of zealots. I'm 43, joined in January, and have a long way to go, but am making progress. Plus my diary is open. It helps with accountability knowing anyone can just look at it and see I am eating a pound of gummi bears or something.
  • pineneedles
    pineneedles Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I will add you! I've only been an atheist for a couple of years. I was raised in a very fundamentalist christian household. We read through the bible more than five times... We were asked by our parents on a weekly basis if we "trusted Jesus as our lord an savior" and if we "really" believed and knew what that meant. It was tiring even for me, and I DID believe it so wholeheartedly. As I went into my early twenties I started noticing things about my beliefs and about the bible that just didn't make sense and really troubled me. I thought orthodox christianity had the answers, so I basically switched brands. I found more things that didn't quite make sense (now that I'm an out atheist I can't believe how much bull**** I actually swallowed, but anyway), as usual I tried
    to stuff my doubts to the back of my mind. I joined the Navy then and didn't attend church for a year or two and started thinking maybe I should go back. But at that point my mind had had time to clear a bit and the more I thought about all my beliefs, the more I realized that I didn't actually believe them anymore. All of it just seemed so shaky logically. It was like I was able to step back from the illusion. It took a while -maybe six months or more- to be comfortable as an atheist. To be comfortable without the "god crutch" so to speak and not afraid of consequences like hell or disfavor from a god. And it was painful, in a way. I lost my imaginary friend. ;). Anyway you asked, so that's my story in a nutshell!
  • abberwocky
    Options
    I will add you! I've only been an atheist for a couple of years. I was raised in a very fundamentalist christian household. We read through the bible more than five times... We were asked by our parents on a weekly basis if we "trusted Jesus as our lord an savior" and if we "really" believed and knew what that meant. It was tiring even for me, and I DID believe it so wholeheartedly. As I went into my early twenties I started noticing things about my beliefs and about the bible that just didn't make sense and really troubled me. I thought orthodox christianity had the answers, so I basically switched brands. I found more things that didn't quite make sense (now that I'm an out atheist I can't believe how much bull**** I actually swallowed, but anyway), as usual I tried
    to stuff my doubts to the back of my mind. I joined the Navy then and didn't attend church for a year or two and started thinking maybe I should go back. But at that point my mind had had time to clear a bit and the more I thought about all my beliefs, the more I realized that I didn't actually believe them anymore. All of it just seemed so shaky logically. It was like I was able to step back from the illusion. It took a while -maybe six months or more- to be comfortable as an atheist. To be comfortable without the "god crutch" so to speak and not afraid of consequences like hell or disfavor from a god. And it was painful, in a way. I lost my imaginary friend. ;). Anyway you asked, so that's my story in a nutshell!

Thanks for sharing! And to everyone else who posted or friended me, thank you! I'm still figuring out all of the nuances of this site, and didn't realize until just tonight that I had replies on this thread. :) You all rock!
  • megggsss
    megggsss Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I'm a fairly new MFP member and I'm looking to add more friends. I'd love it if they were all super-cool atheist folks!

Height: 5'3"
    Starting Weight: 167lbs
    Current Weight: 160.2lbs
    Goal Weight: 125lbs

I've been an "out" atheist for about 3 years, but pretty much never believed in a higher power, despite being raised in a Catholic family. I'm interested in being part of a weight-loss support group but I'm also very interested in how others came to/realized their atheism. Please share your story with me and add me as a friend!

Hey there!

I am 27. I have been against religion for going on 15 years now but just in the past few years have actually taken to calling myself an atheist, I am just not really a fan of labels!

Anywho, I will send a friend request!