Deload week--questions about food, mostly.

Options
Lupercalia
Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
Hello Sara and Sidesteel,

I'm going to take a deload week next week, and I'm not entirely sure how I should be eating during that period. I've been eating in a deficit since July of last year--no break. On previous deload weeks, I've stuck to my usual deficit, but I am wondering if that is the best way of going about things or not.

In the past when I deload, I leave the barbell alone entirely and instead do "light" exercise. Swimming, walking, yoga, bodyweight stuff. Having that entire break from the heavy lifting and my usual routine seemed good for me, so that's what I was planning to do again.

Should I continue to eat as I am, or perhaps a bit more in terms of calories or specific macros to aid with recovery? Or should I eat less (please, no) as I'm not going to be exercising as intensely?

Thanks in advance for your help...

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I would recommend eating at maintenance for the week - give your body a break from the stresses of both training and dieting.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    I typically eat about the same during my deload weeks as I would during an "on" week.
    I might burn less energy during a deload workout, but as sara said, it's nice to take a short mental break from dieting and I don't think limiting my cals even more on a deload would really allow me to do that.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    I would recommend eating at maintenance for the week - give your body a break from the stresses of both training and dieting.

This
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

This

^ Both of these.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone.
This discussion has been closed.