Question about complexes (dumbbell, kettlebell, etc)

Options
DaniH826
DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
So because I'm basically allergic to running ... and working on fitting in more cardio ... and I did a homebaked version of a dumbbell complex last week to grab some Fito badges, I'm thinking about doing some sort of dumbbell/kettlebell complex on my cardio days maybe once a week or more because I quite enjoyed it! My kettlebell specifically has been collecting dust since starting barbell training, and I'm itching to get back to it.

I currently follow a 3x5 compound barbell program on Tues, Thurs and Sat, and my question is how much that extra ... "lifting" ... would hurt my actual lifting progress.

If I keep things at low weight, high rep (somewhere around the 8-10 lb range), will that hurt my recovery?

Pardon the noob question, but I really have no idea how all those things work and where that line gets crossed (if there is a line). Just wondering what the smart approach is here and what I can realistically expect.

Thanks for any education/advice you can toss in my direction!

Replies

• PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Tagging to follow. I've been wondering the same thing.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    I think you're fine. As long as things are fairly light, they'll essentially serve as a recovery session.

Cleans are a great inclusion in the barbell complexes. I really get a good challenge from them.

My fave random things I do wtih my conditioning circuits:
    Light snatch grip deadlifts
    cleans
    pushups
    jumping jacks
    KB Swings
    Box Jumps
    Sled Dragging (if you train at home tire sleds are super easy to make)
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    They'll probably help with recovery if anything.

However, I wouldn't call 8-10 "high rep"
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    Jim wendler says to do complexes after your work out.

if you want to do complexes you can do your assistance exercises as a complex and combine that into a circuit with a bit of running or cycling in between rounds.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    I like to do easy complexes as warm ups, and the more challenging ones at the end of a barbell training session. I do stuff with bodyweight, KBs, and dumbbells. Sometimes I do them as timed intervals (as many reps as I can get), and other times for a set number of reps.
  • DaniH826
    Options
    However, I wouldn't call 8-10 "high rep"

The 8-10 would be the weight (lbs). I own two 8-pound dumbbells, two 10-pound dumbbells, one 8-pound kettlebell and one 10-pound kettlebell.

I was thinking of doing these on off days because I'm a deconditioned noobie lifter in my mid 40s, and my actual lifting sessions take up all of my energy already. I've been lifting for about 2 months now.

And what you fit people call "warm ups" would probably be my actual workout. :laugh:

It wouldn't be for any more than 20 or so minutes, probably, and working my way up from there over time. Would be willing to start with less, and limit to once a week for now.

Just wondering where to start, basically.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Keeping it light should not be an issue. I used to do bear complexes....I like them, I hate cardio.

I would play it by ear as to how much it may or may not impact recovery and when suits you best to include. Either after your lifts or on a separate day.
  • DaniH826
    Options
    Keeping it light should not be an issue. I used to do bear complexes....I like them, I hate cardio.

I would play it by ear as to how much it may or may not impact recovery and when suits you best to include. Either after your lifts or on a separate day.

So basically "try it a few times and see what happens?"

I can do that !!!

Excuse me, I'll be in my garage for a bit doing ... cardio ... yea, let's call it that. :bigsmile:
  • DaniH826
    Options
    Ok so ... doing those after my heavy day on Tuesday = not the brightest idea.

Will have to try another day and see if that goes over better.

I'm going to just play around with this. Feel free to close since y'all did answer my question and now it's really just a matter of trial and error.

Thanks! Love this group! So informative, always! Thanks for all you do for us noobsauces around here. :flowerforyou:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.