Interesting Reading

Options
jaygreen55
jaygreen55 Posts: 315 Member
Updated April 05, 2013
Unintended Consequences
When Good Management Efforts Go Wrong
by Wil Dubois, BS, AAS, CPT
http://www.diabetesselfmanagement.com/articles/General-Diabetes-and-Health-Issues/unintended-consequences/?ref=flashaotw/

“Best laid plans of mice and men often go awry” is especially true in the complex world of diabetes management. Here, medicines, behavior, quirks of the human body, and just plain luck collide, with results that can be hard to predict. Sometimes the best of intentions leads to the worst of outcomes.

But precisely because diabetes management can be so messy and complicated, using your wits can get you far ahead. Read each of the following “case studies” and see if you can guess what will happen next, or what led to the unexpected outcome. The correct answer and a brief explanation follow each case.

Follow link to full article:

http://www.diabetesselfmanagement.com/articles/General-Diabetes-and-Health-Issues/unintended-consequences/?ref=flashaotw/

Replies

• retiree2006
    retiree2006 Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Thanks...informative and interesting cases.
  • bdubya55
    bdubya55 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Great read, and important reminders. I can relate to a couple of those scenarios and experiences at one time or another.

I enjoy reading Wil Dubois' articles and hadn't seen this one.

Thanks for sharing!
  • koshkasmum
    koshkasmum Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    This is great, Jay! Thanks so much for bringing it to our attention. The case studies are interesting but I particularly like the summary at the end. This should be a must read. I hope everyone on this forum takes the time.
  • musicmuse58
    Options
    Great article! I know when I get unusually high blood glucose readings, I always wash my hands and try again. Almost all of the time now, it is because some residue is on my fingers mucking up the test, and the second test shows normal readings. Some good pointers there.
  • robert65ferguson
    robert65ferguson Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    As others have said, this was a very interesting article. Thanks for posting. The Diabetes Self Management site looks like a very useful resource for those members wanting to be better informed in how to deal with this condition.