Diamondback Podium 1 (2013)

Options
MDLNH
MDLNH Posts: 587 Member
Looking to get my 1st road bike (*currently on a MTB) and came across the Diamondback Podium 1 (2013) while getting some riding gear.

The price is in my range ($750 - $800 US dollars).

Any thoughts and/or comments on this for an entry level road bike ??

*also looking for other choices/options, so please feel free to share - Thank you.

Replies

• mirthfuldragon
    mirthfuldragon Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Most LBS will be having tent sales and the like this month and next - you should be able to wrangle some good deals there.

I just bought my wife a Novara Carema from REI - but it's a little over your price range; 105 shifters and rear derailleur, taiagra front derailleur and cogs, for ~$1,100; aluminum frame and carbon fork.

Try looking for a 2012 model left over from last year. At that level, you're probably going to wind up with a Sora groupset. Try to avoid the last generation Sora shifters, which lack the second index trigger and instead have it on the top of the hood - those are a hassle. Tiagra might be available, and anything with 105 stuff is a good bet at that price point. I'm not a SRAM guy, but their stuff is good too.

Fit is the most important thing - until you know more about how you ride (how aggressive, seat height, bar positioning, etc.), it's hard to predict what size you will wind up with.

At this price point, and unless you know a decent amount about bikes, I would avoid used bikes. Once you add in a $100 or $150 tuneup, chain, etc., to a $500 bike, you're basically at the price of a new bike, for tech that is probalby 5 or 6 years old at least.