most underrated parts of being single!

Options
2»

Replies

• AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    The fronts usually line up so there is no leaning over.

The front doesn't line up with the stove. The depth of a stove is 600mm (24in) min and the depth of the wall cabinets, which is what it is lining up with, is 300mm (12in)

IMO it's in a very dangerous position. Not only for children, or short people, elderly, disabled, but for abled adults with baggy clothes, long hair ........etc. Leaning over a hot stove, with boiling pans or just a hot top, is really not an ideal position for it.

Is this a modern (recent) design? Or has it been around for a while?

Don't you guys use extractors to get rid of steam/smells from cooking?

Apologies for sabotaging the thread.......lol I think the most underrated part of being single is you can put your m/w in your bedroom and cook while in bed.........:laugh:

j/k
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,064 Member
    Options
    My family has an oven hood but we use it mostly for light rather than to get rid of smells. But I would say most people have it built in above the stove or on a countertop.
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options

The front doesn't line up with the stove. The depth of a stove is 600mm (24in) min and the depth of the wall cabinets, which is what it is lining up with, is 300mm (12in)

IMO it's in a very dangerous position. Not only for children, or short people, elderly, disabled, but for abled adults with baggy clothes, long hair ........etc. Leaning over a hot stove, with boiling pans or just a hot top, is really not an ideal position for it.

Apologies for sabotaging the thread.......lol I think the most underrated part of being single is you can put your m/w in your bedroom and cook while in bed.........:laugh:

j/k

The extractor/vent is in the bottom/behind the microwave and the controls for it are on the microwave. I just looked at a picture of my kitchen and I guess they don't line up but it is eye level so I don't have to lean to get into it.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    Anna, this is a pretty common setup here

220px-Ponderosa_kitchen.JPG

With the microwave above the stove

Thank you for posting a pic!

American's do not like to clutter the countertops so they like to mount the microwave usually above the stovetop.

We just like mounting things, to be honest.

Oh, we like mounting things too!! :laugh:

TWSS! x2 >.>
  • jenbit
    jenbit Posts: 4,289 Member
    Options
    I think I know the guy in #14

I also like the starwars toliet seat cover and light saber plunger.

for jenbit
    enhanced-buzz-10044-1365535697-1.jpg

I want it
  • nolachick
    nolachick Posts: 3,278 Member
    Options

j/k

haha u are a total thread hijacker.
    I will take a pic of my kitchen and send to u but its the same set up: stove - m/w on top and there is a built in light and extractor. very compact and user friendly. I've never had any problems :)

back to the original post they are all pretty funny especially the being as filthy as you want part hahaha
  • AnnaPixie
    Options
    Ermmm, Nobody seems to be getting my point! It may be the 'norm' but that doesnt make it right, or safe! Lots of accidents/mishaps/deaths need to happen for things to change. This is the reason why designs evolve over the years. We used to cram stoves in corners and put shelves over them too. But now we don't.

I will never forget one kitchen sale I lost when I was guiding a daughter to create a safe kicthen for her elderly mother. She couldnt see past the "we have had it that way for 50 years" either. :noway:

So I've found this article from an 'American' designer !!! Perhaps you will get me when you hear it in an American accent!! ??

Making Room for the Microwave
    Where you choose to place this essential kitchen appliance determines how useful and safe it will be

Over the Range
    The most common microwave location, a couple of feet above the range, is the least efficient and the most dangerous. "This placement is bad because it's too high for many people," says Rhonda Moritz, spokeswoman for the National Kitchen & Bath Association in Hacketts-town, New Jersey. "You've got to reach up to put food in or take it out, so your chances of spilling something hot on yourself are greater. You also run the risk of burning yourself on the cooktop." Users who are elderly, disabled or short in stature may have trouble reaching a microwave at this height—or they may not be able to get to it at all. The NKBA's official guidelines recommend placing the shelf or cabinet the microwave sits on well below eye level, at 24 to 48 in. off the ground.
    "You can lower an over-the-range microwave so that it's more ergonomically correct, but then you can't use tall pots on the back burners," says Chet Basher, a kitchen designer in Sparta, New Jersey.
    This location also isn't conducive to a two-cook kitchen, because it increases the likelihood that people using the microwave and cooktop will be in each other's way. And if all that weren't enough, the advent of the increasingly popular 42-in.-wide, commercial-style range is another reason not to use the over-the-range location. A standard, 27- to 30-in.-wide microwave looks disproportionately small over a 42-in. range, and it also wastes space on either side.
    If an over-the-range location still makes sense for your kitchen, be sure there is plenty of open space on both sides of the range to serve as a landing area for items you take out of the microwave, and bring the unit down as far as you can without it getting in the way of pots.#

Here's the link if you want it.

http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/article/0,,202392-2,00.html

I'm not trying to say that America has it wrong. How dare I!! But what I am saying is there are FAR more safer places to house a m/w off counter top.
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    Anna, I promise if I design my own kitchen I will remember your words and will even try to hire you to do it for me (because I do NOT have a creative or artistic eye at all), but in the meantime I'm just a renter and I could care less what set up the landlord has hahaha!
  • AnnaPixie
    Options
    Anna, I promise if I design my own kitchen I will remember your words and will even try to hire you to do it for me (because I do NOT have a creative or artistic eye at all), but in the meantime I'm just a renter and I could care less what set up the landlord has hahaha!

Thank you darling.....lol......Landlords are the worst, in every country. Anything to save a 'buck''!!

:flowerforyou:

is that how you spell buck? or is it bux? lol
  • christine24t
    Options
    We have a cabinet over our stove haha.

There's the stove, the hood and the hood is attached to a cabinet.
  • TheKitsune6
    Options

Thank you darling.....lol......Landlords are the worst, in every country. Anything to save a 'buck''!!

It depends, are we mounting before we buck?
  • AnnaPixie
    Options

It depends, are we mounting before we buck?

:laugh: :laugh:

(ETA: I got the joke, but just to clarify.....)

A buck is a dollar, right? :huh: Or is that a British saying?? lol
  • christine24t
    Options

A buck is a dollar, right? :huh: Or is that a British saying?? lol

Yep, it's a dollar!
  • TheKitsune6
    Options
    Apparently I am ridiculously twirly today.
  • AnnaPixie
    Options
    Apparently I am ridiculously twirly today.

Try xhamster.com then pop to the ladies.

you're welcome :flowerforyou: