Hypothyroid Bodybuilders?

annemama
annemama Posts: 245 Member
Are there any hypothyroid bodybuilders out there? I would love to hear your stories. Here are a few questions I would love for you to answer:

What has your transformation been like?
What are your workouts like?
What nutrition plan do you follow?
Anyone Primal/Paleo?
What are your macros set to?
How did you adjust your BMR/TDEE/Cut values to account for your low thyroid issues?
Anything else you think might be helpful?

I've been severely hypo for 12 years now, and I'd just like to learn from some of you who have found a way to make this happen.
I will post this in several places on the boards to see who will have something to share.

Thanks!

Replies

• FUELERDUDE
    FUELERDUDE Posts: 150 Member
    I am not an expert, but I do have a group I can recommend. Eat, Train, Progress is a very good group in regards to strength training and eating. I have received a lot of good and supportive advice there.
  • annemama
    Thank you!
  • rogerfryer
    rogerfryer Posts: 2 Member
    Hi
    I don't know if this will help.
    I was an unfit 60 yr old., but all through the years upto my 50 I had trained. So my body had muscle memory.
    I take 200mg a day. Use slimming whey when I train. Watch what i eat. 1500 cals excl execise. Use HIIT tp keep my weight down, lost 42lbs in 3years, do 2 to 3 sessions per week with cardio as part. Keep medium weights , free and kettle bell primarily, some machines. Use high reps say 12 to 15, 3sets.
    Keep a log. Keep form. Most important. Work hard and you will be rewarded.
    I have put on 14lbs muscle.
    I use a PT frequently who keeps me on track.
    My max heart rate at 67 is173, was 150 3yrs ago.
    Vary your program, use free weights, cables, machines TRX, kettle bells, sandbags.
    Use drop sets and tire your trained muscle group. Don't overdo it. 5min warm up, 45 session, 5/10mins stretch.
  • annemama
    Thank you!
  • bradthemedic
    bradthemedic Posts: 623 Member
    I've been religiously training for 2 months with no real results yet. I've been on MFP watching my intake for 13 months and lost around 20lb. It's been slow.. I'd say around 6-10x slower for comparing myself to non hypo bodybuilders results.
    I just started ERFA and I'm excited to see the results as my TSH and t3/4 are way off. I'm doing a dhea saliva test soon as well as my naturopath thinks that is off as well.

It's been extremely difficult, very upsetting, and super depressing seeing people do less than me, eat worse and become incredibly fit in half of the time- while I am about 2 years out from my goal at this point. 3 years to 3 months.. It ain't fair but it's life with hypo.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    I haven't done any strength training for more than a few months at a time, but I can tell you that it is easier when you start slow. Most advice on body building is go big or go home, but I always get REALLY sore when I first get started. The first couple days are a lot better if I just do what I can, and wait until I'm further into the program before I really push myself.
  • annemama
    Thanks everyone!