Exp competetors - lower bf% question

Options
karrielynn80
karrielynn80 Posts: 395 Member
I have not yet decided if i will compete but am working to get a low body fat %. My goal is to have a "6pk" at one point in my life (hopefully the next month or month & a half). I've successfully cut from around 21% to 15.11 (last caliper reading was last wednesday) and am "causally" shooting for 13% - as i believe that is where i'll be able to see all "6" lol.

My question is - do any of you, that have experience w/ lower body fat, know how it effects your body? Seems as of the last 2 wks i've been very drained on energy, and have started to get sick this wk... I am not sure if i just happen to be getting sick or if maybe my energy & immune levels are down b/c of lower bf & thus i'm getting sick easier - but i want to make sure I'm aware of what changes could happen in my body the lower my bf gets.

here are some factors that might need to be factored in:
my current macros: 35(c)/20(f)/45(p)
my current cal goal: 1600 (but if my body is hungry i go over, just stay in my macros)
water intake: 120-140oz / day
workout sch: weights m,t,th,f; cardio: w; rest sat/sun (also off diet these days)
**i haven't really noticed any energy drain in my cut from 21-15% (jan - mar) and i don't even know if <15% is considered "low" body fat, low enough to be having side affects, but again - i'd like to know for possible future knowledge as well..

Thanks ladies.

Replies

• AbbyMomof2
    AbbyMomof2 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am not an experienced competitor, but your macros are very low in the carb/protein area, I would re-evaluate that.
    Also I would stick to your diet on the weekends, I know its hard, but it will be much easier to get you to your goal. and i think you would be able to bring up your carbs/protein during the week if you stuck to the same plan on the weekends, and just took one day to bring up your carbs on the weekend rather then throwing it out the window.
    Your low energy is probably your lack of carbs, and because you were getting sick.
  • karrielynn80
    Options
    I am not an experienced competitor, but your macros are very low in the carb/protein area, I would re-evaluate that.
    Also I would stick to your diet on the weekends, I know its hard, but it will be much easier to get you to your goal. and i think you would be able to bring up your carbs/protein during the week if you stuck to the same plan on the weekends, and just took one day to bring up your carbs on the weekend rather then throwing it out the window.
    Your low energy is probably your lack of carbs, and because you were getting sick.
    * i think you might be confused, my carb/protein is actually rather high - the break down i noted reflects %s not grams.

I have been at the same macros since jan, and have lost from 21.4% to 15.11%, i think that progress is great, as i don't desire to loose more than .5% a wk. I also have had no lack of energy during that time, I've had enought to get my workouts in, work 40hrs, and stay up late most nights doing schoolwork. The lack of energy is a new development . . . when i say "off diet" days it generally reflects a day where i am off macros - meaning i eat a lot more carbs & not as much protein. but i generally intake a lot more calories. This has worked for me.

I am merely wondering what are some affects having lower bf% will have, so i can be aware.
  • AbbyMomof2
    AbbyMomof2 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Oh yes, I was reading that wrong! I had thought you meant you were eating 35g of carbs and 45g of protein, I thought how is she still alive LOL
  • karrielynn80
    Options
    Oh yes, I was reading that wrong! I had thought you meant you were eating 35g of carbs and 45g of protein, I thought how is she still alive LOL

definately not a possibilty! lol thanks tho!
  • delonda1
    delonda1 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I also am having an issue with this! would love advice
  • karrielynn80
    Options
    I also messaged some exp'd ladies on my list and got some good feed back. 2/3 of them (i literally only asked 3 lol) said they've not had an issue & suggested i make sure i'm taking all my suppliments (vitamins & whatnot) + getting all my rest & whatnot. Even recommended maybe taking a rest wk, or longer to recoup (b/c of the possibility of my body just catching up w/ the last 3 months of hardwork) and one lady said that she looses her period and gets fatigued below about 17% - but never gets sick.

I'm going to chalk it up to not taking enough suppliments and lack of sleep the last couple days = just getting sick. So i'll give it a wk or so and see how i feel, if i get over this & still feel weak, i might maint, diet wise until school is out, they pick back up (when schools out i can get btr rest.)...
  • busywaterbending
    busywaterbending Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    experienced and award winning trainer/coach here, with stage experience. I am at 12% body fat currently and in excellent health. I'm thinking of getting on the competition circut this year... Here's my advice and experienced thoughts on your situation:

You may be experiencing fatigue due to low minerals. Up your magnesium and manganese intake. Too much water depletes you of your electrolytes AND over exercising will deplete you of mg and mangese, two VERY important minerals. I hate it when girls and coaches think that you have to drink water.... Idiots. Drink when thirsty. Research Mg and Mn. Too much manganese is not good in the long run, but if you are depleted of Mg, then you are also depleted of manganese. Both are necessary for energy output.

Hormones play a huge part in it too. If a compeitor has hormone problems, she needs to go on a specific food plan to regain her metabolism. Certain dieting and supplementation (especially those rampant in the fitness industry) actually destroy your pituitary gland and wreck your thyroid functions!

If you need help you can join my information website for just $30. I provide information, links, references and tons of tools to my clients on how and why you should be doing some things to achieve your goals. Health is more important than anything else when it comes to reshaping the body, and maintaining a low bodyfat percentage the wrong way will kill your thyroid.
  • karrielynn80
    Options
    experienced and award winning trainer/coach here, with stage experience. I am at 12% body fat currently and in excellent health. I'm thinking of getting on the competition circut this year... Here's my advice and experienced thoughts on your situation:

You may be experiencing fatigue due to low minerals. Up your magnesium and manganese intake. Too much water depletes you of your electrolytes AND over exercising will deplete you of mg and mangese, two VERY important minerals. I hate it when girls and coaches think that you have to drink water.... Idiots. Drink when thirsty. Research Mg and Mn. Too much manganese is not good in the long run, but if you are depleted of Mg, then you are also depleted of manganese. Both are necessary for energy output.

Hormones play a huge part in it too. If a compeitor has hormone problems, she needs to go on a specific food plan to regain her metabolism. Certain dieting and supplementation (especially those rampant in the fitness industry) actually destroy your pituitary gland and wreck your thyroid functions!

If you need help you can join my information website for just $30. I provide information, links, references and tons of tools to my clients on how and why you should be doing some things to achieve your goals. Health is more important than anything else when it comes to reshaping the body, and maintaining a low bodyfat percentage the wrong way will kill your thyroid.

All is well now. i'm chalking it up to a bug (which could definately be due to low nutrients, in the vitamin / supplament area as i am not very good at taking those). However, i am one of the water pushers - so i can't say i agree with you on the fact that water depletes mag in the body - or any other mineral for that matter. I do not have any certifications & have only done studies on myself for the past year - thru my own progress - but i can definately atest to the GREAT things water does for my body. without 120+ oz a day, i am sluggish & less productive - whether i make myself be active or not. my skin is 10X better while hydrated & i honestly believe it helps flush excess toxins from my body. I can understand the logic behind LACK of magnesium & other minerals in our water today - which is why vit's & supplaments are important - but i do not agree with your logic that water essentially strips away said nutrients.
    Again, i am only going on my experience and my past nutritional habits. but for now, i think i'll stick to chugging & pushing water, water, water. thank you for your input however, it is an interesting perspective.