Is there a FAQ for this group?

Options
rrsuthy
rrsuthy Posts: 236 Member
I've done Atkins in the past, tried WW (which was actually a success for me, until I ate my way through boxes of cocoa puffs during my divorce last year) and have now tried to go back to a low carb diet. I do find that when I eat lower carbs, my body responds better (meaning better skin, stronger finger nails, etc.), but I admit to seriously craving the occassionaly sugar fix (chocolate ice cream or chocolate yogurt) and popcorn (which was a staple for me on WW).

So, I've been reading through the posts in this forum and realize that I eat a lot of protein, but not a lot of fat. That's a paradyne shift for me and I'm not quite there yet.

I was wondering if there was a FAQ for people like me - who want to give this a go, but don't want to end up with a ton of protein, few carbs and minimal success. I've seen a few people mention "fat bombs" - I'm not sure what that means. I saw one post that had to do with coffee - I don't drink it (maybe I'd like it if I added fat?).

I should tell you that I don't cook a lot or spend much time in the kitchen. I work full-time and am a single mother to a very active child (ex. on Tuesday she came home from school, went to piano, went to soccer practice and then to goalie training). I do tend to use her longer activities for my exercise time, if I don't get it in during the day. DD is in activities 5 nights a week (I think today's soccer practice will be cancelled due to weather - yay!), so we're on the go quite a bit. However, we rarely eat out. I manage to throw something together for her. She LOVES her carb meals - especially spaghetti and cincinnati chili. I make her that and then eat my own meal (last night I had a hot dog).

I'm looking for tips or links to help me with this. The Atkins site is decent, but I think they've turned quite a bit mainstream and encourage lower-fat options now.

Replies