Rows, and row alternatives

Options
jonnythan
jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
I started lifting sometime in 2010 with Starting Strength. I did bent-over rows as part of the program. I remember them being tough on my back and legs, especially since I was doing them after deads or squats.

In 2011 I had some injuries and developed some back problems. I'm healed up and lifting again on a 5/3/1 big but boring style program. I still have some lower back soreness that probably won't ever go away. It doesn't seem to affect me on deads or squats, but I just can't get through a bent-over row session. It's not that it's weak, but the soreness just gets in the way of the exercise too much.

To compensate, I've been doing 3 sets of pullups once a week. Here's my overall program:

Monday
Squats (5/3/1 plus 3 sets at 60%x10)
Bench (85%x5)
Dips (2 sets to failure; I may be dropping these soon as they may be causing me shoulder issues)
Pullups (3 sets to failure)

Wednesday
Deadlifts (5/3/1 plus 2 sets at 60%x10)
OHP (5/3/1 plus 3 sets at 60%x10)
Curls (3 sets to failure)

Friday
Squats (85%x5)
Bench (5/3/1 plus 3 sets at 60%x10)
Leg raise (2 sets to failure)

So I guess my question is whether I should try in some fashion to work more rows into my routine somewhere. Or whether I should try to fit anything else in there, for that matter. The problem is I have limited equipment available. I have a bench, a rickety old squat rack, and one of those lever selectorized multifunction machines.

Any comments welcome, even if they're "holy crap Jon, I thought you knew what you were doing. WTF is that??"

Replies

• _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest posting a vid of your form in the relevant thread (forget its name) and see if changing your form helps at all.
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    ... out of curiosity, do you have the same issues if doing a bench-supported one-arm dumbbell row? (Yeah, I know, it's nearly as effective as Pendlay rows ... )
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    Bump to see replies.

For my upper back I do seated cable rows and shrugs.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    ... out of curiosity, do you have the same issues if doing a bench-supported one-arm dumbbell row? (Yeah, I know, it's nearly as effective as Pendlay rows ... )

To some degree. It's not as bad because I get the support from my arm, but the asymmetric load on the back is not very good either.

Combined with the fact that the heaviest dumbbells in the gym are either 45 or 75 lbs and it's not a great solution anyway.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Have you tried doing incline DB rows?

You basically lay face-first into an incline bench and row DB's at an angle towards your waist.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Thanks for the replies everyone. Since dumbbells aren't an option, I'll be adding the selectorized lever machine row on Wednesdays.

I'll also be dropping dips, as they cause some shoulder pain. I think it has to do with the width and angle of the handholds at the dip station. I'll be replacing those with seated selectorized flies on Mondays and cable pushdowns on Fridays.

New routine, with main lifts highlighted:

Monday
    Squats (5/3/1 plus 3 sets at 60%x10)
    Bench (85%x5)
    Chest fly (seated selectorized, 3 sets)
    Pullups (3 sets to failure)

Wednesday
    Deadlifts (5/3/1 plus 2 sets at 60%x10)
    OHP (5/3/1 plus 3 sets at 60%x10)
    Row (machine selectorized, 3 sets)
    Curls (3 sets to failure)

Friday