Do you measure your sugar intake?

Options
Jasmine_James
Jasmine_James Posts: 188 Member
Hi keto friends,

I have been closely watching my carb, fat, and protein intake -- but I'm wondering if I ought to also measure sugar grams? It's not something I've been paying much attention to, but I'm wanting to incorporate some almond and peanut butter here and there, and it has 3 grams of sugar. Also, on occasion, I want to have one bite of my fiances ice cream. I've also been craving blue berries, and want to see if I could get away with eating just a few.

Can sugar after keto-adaptation? Do you measure it? If so, how many grams do you allow yourself?

Thanks for the help,
Jasmine

Replies

• gmansmom2
    gmansmom2 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I don't. I assume anything with sugar has carbs and will show up under that so I don't. I do log everything so if I have a bite of my hubby's ice cream I would log it. Even 1 bite.
  • Jasmine_James
    Jasmine_James Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I've been good about tracking all carbs and watching that number, so I'll stick with that. Appreciate the perspective. I am just trying to slowly figure out how much I can get away with, because I was so strict for so long -- but that isn't extremely sustainable for me, especially when it comes to fruit. I don't want to have lots of fruit, but I miss it and feel it's a healthy and important part of life.
  • LauraDotts
    LauraDotts Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I don't track sugar and I'm a diabetic. The net carb count and my blood glucose meter tells me all I need to know. I actually had to make an effort to add in some food sugars to my diet to help repopulate my gut flora. I started taking a probiotic and feeding it some sugars. I do that with some dark chocolate (85% cacoa) just about every day and the occasional bite of sweet potato. I can't eat fruit at all as it spikes my blood sugar.
  • missyyclaire
    missyyclaire Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I'm not taking the chances with anything sugar for now.

When I eat sugary things, it's like fireworks exploding in my brain, like the 4th of July up there. I LOVE sugar. I love the taste of it in desserts. I love the way desserts come out when sugar is used... I HATE that once I start eating it, I can't stop.

So...I'm not taking any chances with sugar right now, I'm helpless against it...unless I avoid it altogether, then I have strength to resist it

OH! Your question was do we track our sugar intake!!! Well, I don't track my foods everyday, but I certainly watch that factor when I do
  • fitnessbugg
    fitnessbugg Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I'm with Missyclaire. I avoid sugar at all costs. I tell my family I don't want to wake up the sugar beast within me because then I can't say no. This does not mean that I avoid fruit, but I don't eat it very often either.
  • tanigrrrrr
    tanigrrrrr Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I only make sure my carbs are low enough.
    I try to have a little bit of fruit in my day - maybe berries or an apple but make sure that I plan for it and fit it in.
    Theyre so delicious and theyre my daily treat.

Otherwise i have a small chocolate - i like the atkins chocolates and know that theyll be low carb!
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I also don't specifically track sugar. I find my total and net carbohydrate intake more important.

And kudos to those that avoid sugary foods. Those who KNOW they are carb/sugar-addicts (which is not yet an 'accepted' addiction according to the DSM-IV or V, but recognized by certain groups now, and science/evidence-based) ... and avoid it at all costs, are wise to do so.

I do have berries every now and again - just small quantities once or twice a day - usually in a smoothie pre- or post- workout. Other than the VERY rare slice of granny smith apple (never a whole apple, max 1/2 at a time), berries are the only fruit I eat. Mostly because they're very low-glycemic (the lowest of the fruits), about 1/2 fiber by content and very high in antioxidants. I track their carb count like I would anything else though.