diagnosed today

I went to the doctor today for check up on blood work.. I knew something was wrong with me physically but thought it was minor, but they said I have type 2 diabetes I thought nothing of it until I got my glucose machine.. I just started crying I don't do good with needles or medicine. I am hoping I can get it down with exercise.. I am thinking about not doing the meds and just keep an eye on my sugar.. I need food suggestions PLEASE:flowerforyou:

Replies

• jessiekanga
    jessiekanga Posts: 564 Member
    I'm sorry. It's pretty overwhelming in the beginning. Hang in there. Before food suggestions, just spend a little time with the med stuff. What were your actual levels (fasting and/or A1C) and what have you been prescribed? No one here (I don't think) would give you medical advice, I wouldn't. But depending on your levels, you might get some recommendations/thoughts/considerations.

Food, there's a lot to learn, and we're all different, but for day 1, low carb, low sugar, low on refined foods.

Hang in there, it does get easier.
  • LaserMum
    LaserMum Posts: 133
    I'd agree with jessiekanga. Low carb, low sugar.

Other websites good for advice are www.diabetes101.org and I've found www.diabetes.co.uk very useful too.

Hope this helps. Feel free to add me as a friend if you want to.
  • retiree2006
    retiree2006 Posts: 951 Member
    Welcome to the group. You'll find a lot of great support here. I hope you will be able to take a class on diabetes, offered by most hospitals....unless you already have done that. A class can give you good information and answer many of the questions you'll have about how to eat and handle diabetes. And if you can meet with a nutritionist or diabetic counselor, that would be a great first step.

We're all working on improving our health and controlling the things we can. You're taking a good step with bringing down your weight, getting more active and eating healthy. Many of us have been able to reduce medications, etc., by taking those same steps. It's not the end of the world...but it does present you with a new challenge that you can begin to handle.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Bummer. Yes, it's a lot to process when you're diagnosed. The good news is that T2 can be managed. As already mentioned, a low carb diet is the best strategy. Think "lifestyle change" not diet. Changes in diet are critical for controlling blood glucose levels.

My T2 is under control using diet and regular exercise. I can recall when my T2 was not well controlled I was tired and lethargic all the time. Now I have a lot more energy than I did before.

This is a good group. They can answer your questions and offer advice which is helpful when faced with the challenges of being diagnosed T2.
  • robert65ferguson
    robert65ferguson Posts: 390 Member
    Hi Midge and welcome to this group. Many of us in this group can identify with the range of emotions we experience on first being diagnosed with Diabetes. You already know from your own experience how important it is to gain a good level of control over your blood sugar. It's also crucial that you take the advice of your medical advisors. Diabetes is a very individual condition, which makes it very frustrating, and each of us has to work out what does or does not work for us. This takes time and patience. MFP is a fantastic tool for helping us to adopt a change of lifestyle leading to healthy and active lives. The good news is that the programme, if applied correctly, really does work. It requires the HONEST logging of ALL food. It also requires pateince, persistence and determination. Take a deep breath and take time to read over the various threads and get a feel for the site. When you're ready to ask questions, you will find lots of genuine people on here who will be willing to share their experience and to offer you encouragement and support. I wish you well on your journey to a healthy and active life and am willing to do all I can to help you achieve your objectives.
  • LauraDotts
    LauraDotts Posts: 732 Member
    Low carb, low sugar, diet. Read the articles at bloodsugar101.com.
  • ldg323
    ldg323 Posts: 101 Member
    Hi Midge

I will never forget when the Dr told me I had Type 2. It is quite a shock. This site has a lot of great information and you already have some from the posts above. Good place to start is low carb, low sugar. When I was diagnosed I didn't know about this site and my first stop was a book store. I got the book Diabetes The first year. It had a lot of good information in it and I still go back to it from time to time.

You will learn about how your body reacts to different foods and what will work for you and what won't. There will be frustrating times but as Robert said, if you follow the guidelines, it really does work. Feel free to add me as a friend if you would like. There are great people here.
  • nczuczu
    nczuczu Posts: 611 Member
    Midge, thank you for reaching out to us here on this discussion group. It is very scary and a lot to take in. Like others have said, a course or a session with a nutritionist will help you better understand what you should eat. A lot of it will also be trial and error. You will eat something and it will spike your blood sugars, so you also have to listen to your body.

You are not alone. We are here all you need to do is ask. If you would like to send me a friend request, I would love to support you through this.

I'm adding that there is no need to be afraid of the needles or the glucose lancets. You'll get used to them. Remember, you are doing these things for your health. I am on insulin and so if that is what your doctor prescribes, it's not so bad. The needles are usually so fine, I normally don't feel it. In my experience, the lancets really shouldn't hurt, unless it is going too deep.

Don't be overwhelmed, you'll be fine.

Nancy
  • bdubya55
    bdubya55 Posts: 506 Member
    Hi Midge,

A warm welcome from me to you, I'm so glad you've decided to joined us. I hope you'll make yourself at home here.
    This is a wonderful group of people sincerely eager to offer you any help they can, on your new lifestyle journey.

Bob:smile:
  • rachelamedley5
    rachelamedley5 Posts: 27 Member
    hi midge

Like you I was recently diagnosed with type 2 I was really depressed and all the information is overwhelming you just feel like your life will never be normal again. I haven't yet got my blood glucose monitor as am quite pathological about needles and even the thought of pricking my finger makes me feel queasy. I have asked the doctor for a 3 month break to come to terms with it. I am doing exercise and eating vegetarian, low carb and low sugar diet a real change for a qualified chef. If you need support feel free to friend me and maybe we can go along together and see how we go. MFP has been a godsend it has been the best thing ever!!! Also there are so many supportive really nice people so when you feel like you've lost there will always be a shoulder to cry on and someone to celebrate your good days. Give yourself time.:heart:
  • tlangenfeld
    tlangenfeld Posts: 2,330 Member
    Hi Midge,
    welcome, this site and group is a good one and the support on this group beats no other.
    You will find a wonderful support group and some great advice and friends who all have started where you are. I think I cried for a week when i found out that i had type 2 diabetes, had no idea where to go what to do but my doctor started me out with a diabetes education course with a nutritienest and others who where new to being diabetes if your clinic or doctors office offers that i would strongly encourage you to attend it. As with me i walked away from the class with new hope. You can eat ALMOST anything as long as it is portion controlled. a cup or 1/2 a cup does not sound like much but once measured and put on the plate looks like alot. good luck and you will be okay again welcome too the best support group that i myself have found