How do you train to run/jog for a long time?

Im really struggling to keep going. The longest i jogged was 7 minutes outside without stopping. On the treadmill I can do 30mins but I've stopping using those now. I'm on week two at the moment. I can run a mile as fast as i can with breaks in 8.30mins and I did my first 5k last october in 37,38. It was very windy and i didn't help myself by eating weird combinations for breakfast so i didn't do as well as i could have done. I feel like I'm not improving! Thats why i started this couch to 5k. Is 3 days a week enough? I feel dizzy after it as well. Is it ok to go for a jog for 30mins without water if i drink beforehand and after? My heart recovery rate is ok, the last run it was 188 and dropped to 144 in 2 minutes. Im female

Replies

• timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    You train to run longer by running longer. Seriously tho, just as the C25K program does, you add a little to the previous week's run to slowly build endurance. The walk breaks are in there to help your recovery while still getting time on your feet but eventually you won't need those breaks. It's part mental and part physical.

Three days a week is plenty, with rest days in between. Don't try to run more at this point. You really need the rest in between. If you are dizzy maybe try slowing down the pace, but also see a doctor to be safe. Your heart rate of 188 sounds high to me so you might be pushing it a bit too much. My HR max for my age is 177 and I sometimes come close to that if I am really pushing the pace but usually I keep it around 160. You can definitely go 30 minutes without water if you are properly hydrated first.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    I would suggest judging your HR. If you are running so fast that you are completely out of breath and dizzy then you are going WAY TOO FAST and your body is telling you to slow down. Slow down to get faster, believe it or not. And to be honest, moving from treadmill to outside, 3 days is plenty. You need days to rest and let your legs heal. You should be running just enough to get your breathing up but slow enough that if some one were running with you that you could hold a conversation with them with out gasping between each word.

As far as water, if you hydrate effectively daily then you shouldn't need much water during the run. I usually take a bottle with me and keep it in the truck for when I get back from the run (or on the counter if I take off from home). If you are becoming completely parched just from the short jogs outside, then that is an indication that you are not hydrated enough before hand. Believe it or not, hydration starts days before your run. You can't hydrate during the run and expect that to be enough.
  • Im 18 so i think the maximum is 200? I get a bit lightheaded after and sometimes during. Im never thirsty though. How much water should i drink after the run? I drink about 1.5-2 litres a day but obviously id need to drink more with exercising to replace the water lost. I never know how much i should be drinking. The other day I did push it too much towards the end i guess yeah. Problem is I'm also in a youth organisation that I do military training with and they make us keep going, no stopping unless its a good reason and i usually get so dizzy, last time they made me run 2k without stopping and i thought i was going to pass out at the end and it was sprinting up a massive hill to start. I want to be able to keep up with a lot of the fitter people there. Thanks for your reply :)
  • Thank you, i thought id try running home for about 3 mins without stopping just to end. My instructors tell me to finish harder. Not sure if thats a good idea anymore though at the moment. Thanks for your reply :)
  • msfaithful
    msfaithful Posts: 88 Member
    You train to run longer by running longer.

^^^THIS...

I'm no running expert but if longer distance is your goal then you may need to lower your pace. My thought is it should be a comfortable run because it's going to be a long run. If you're running fast and your HR is high it doesn't sound comfortable at all. Not saying you need to be doing 13 mins/mile but 8 mins/mile seem a bit too fast for long distance.

just my 2 cents :flowerforyou:
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    I am in the military, and while they stress you to push you, never, ever, ever should you go beyond your capabilities if it causes you to get dizzy. Even when I had Company Commanders screaming in my ear, I gave forth the 100% that -I- could give. They will yell in your ear because that is part of the military training and the stress they are trying to give, they will give it to you even if you were able to run a marathon.

After my runs, I usually down at least 8oz, sometimes more depending on how I feel.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    When training, an "easy run" should be a conversational pace and a distance that you could easily run again. A "long run" should be at a conversational pace and a distance that is about 25% more than your easy runs. Speed work should be at a level where you feel that is challenging but maintainable. You should feel capable of maintaining it, though you really want to drop it down a notch. MOST of your running should be easy runs. You should have one long run a week. Once you're logging at least 7 miles a week, you can add a day of speed work every other week. You will get stronger and faster only if you give yourself the time and experience to do so. Pushing yourself hard will result in injury.

The Couch to 5k program should be done at an "easy run" pace. It sounds like you might be a little advanced for it - the 10k program might be better suited to your current level. Yes, you should be able to run 3-4 miles or 30 minutes without hydrating during the run.