Tools of the trade

Options

Replies

• rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Socks are super important. They are the #2 cause of blisters. Second only to the shoes themselves. Friction is naturally caused with your foot hits the pavement. Now put sweat on your feet. Without the right socks to wick that sweat away, you could end up with the blister across half your foot (trust me I have one lol).
  • bcl003
    bcl003 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Bumping, lots of good info.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Best Undies for Runners

To avoid chafing and possible overheating, I go commando. Most run shorts have a liner.
  • NickeeCoco
    NickeeCoco Posts: 130
    Options

To avoid chafing and possible overheating, I go commando. Most run shorts have a liner.

I'm with you on that one.

What I run with:

1. My shoes - I just got the new New Balance 880v3, and I love them. Yeah, there's a 12mm drop, but I don't notice it when I'm running. There's enough cushion in there for my already battered knees. They are a little heavier on the heel, and when I first got them I had to be more conscious about ensuring I did a midfoot strike, but I've gotten used to them now.

2. Nike Hydration Belt - With the humidity levels around here, I need as much water as I can get. That and it gives me a place to put my house keys (with an elastic around them so they don't clink the entire time).

3. Music - It helps me maintain a pace, and I don't have to listen to myself breathe. :)
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    1. My shoes - I just got the new New Balance 880v3, and I love them. Yeah, there's a 12mm drop, but I don't notice it when I'm running. There's enough cushion in there for my already battered knees. They are a little heavier on the heel, and when I first got them I had to be more conscious about ensuring I did a midfoot strike, but I've gotten used to them now.

Cool - I did a "test drive" of those shoes back before they were released. I really loved how they felt. The high drop worries me a little but I am thinking about getting a pair for my long runs. I am going to compare with the 1080v3 which has 8mm drop and the Saucony Kinvara which is a 4mm drop. I just got some Inov-8 240's for the gym which have a 6mm drop and I really liked how they felt when I ran on the treadmill to warm up.
  • NickeeCoco
    NickeeCoco Posts: 130
    Options

Cool - I did a "test drive" of those shoes back before they were released. I really loved how they felt. The high drop worries me a little but I am thinking about getting a pair for my long runs. I am going to compare with the 1080v3 which has 8mm drop and the Saucony Kinvara which is a 4mm drop. I just got some Inov-8 240's for the gym which have a 6mm drop and I really liked how they felt when I ran on the treadmill to warm up.

I've heard from a few people that the Kinvara's don't last for very long. I tried the 1080v3, and they were nice. I have a high arch, and I felt the support in this shoe was a little too far back for my foot, which is why I ended up going with the 880s. They're a good shoe for someone with a mid to high arch, I think. As for the drop, really, you don't notice it. If anything, it helps me get a good lean in. :) As for the Inov-8s, I don't have any personal experience with them.
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    I am pretty basic.

Shoes.

Socks.

Hat. Keeps the sweat off my face.

Cellphone with armband for music and tracking

Gizmo.

150453_10151751192006054_117385009_n_zps03d37770.jpg

Everyone needs a running partner that will never flake and push you the extra mile.
  • pinkstp
    pinkstp Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Great tips, thanks :D I'm into week 3 (and horrified looking forward to week 4!) of c25k and am just doing treadmill running inside for now (it's too hot outside!). Will definitely look into more of these things as I start heading outdoors!
  • LindaGTaylor
    LindaGTaylor Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I have shoe's, arm band, water, and phone with tracking and a running app.
  • stellalagerfeld
    Options
    Nike Running app on my phone for tracking since I'm on the c210K program.
    Headband to keep the sweat off my face (and keep my earphones in my ears when I decide to run listening to music)
  • lw2134
    lw2134 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    so, this isn't gear, but it's definitely a tool:

there's a new site, called PhantomRunner (https://www.phantomrunner.com/) that has free weekly virtual races (monthly paid races too). It links with RunKeeper, so you can participate with your smartphone. It's a fun way to stay motivated week in and week out, it's a good way to ease into running if you're just getting started, and it's all free.

In full disclosure, I made the site, but I made it because I'm a runner and wanted to use something like this. I just released it a few days ago and will be making plenty of improvements and modifications in the near future. I hope some of you find it useful and fun!
  • stellalagerfeld
    Options
    I am pretty basic.

Shoes.

Socks.

Hat. Keeps the sweat off my face.

Cellphone with armband for music and tracking

Gizmo.

Everyone needs a running partner that will never flake and push you the extra mile.

Gizmo is adorable! and lucky to have you, I'm sure. :D
  • likitisplit
    Options
    so, this isn't gear, but it's definitely a tool:

there's a new site, called PhantomRunner (https://www.phantomrunner.com/) that has free weekly virtual races (monthly paid races too). It links with RunKeeper, so you can participate with your smartphone. It's a fun way to stay motivated week in and week out, it's a good way to ease into running if you're just getting started, and it's all free.

In full disclosure, I made the site, but I made it because I'm a runner and wanted to use something like this. I just released it a few days ago and will be making plenty of improvements and modifications in the near future. I hope some of you find it useful and fun!

That's kind of cool. My first 10k was virtual and it was a nice way to "ease in"
  • yamsteroo
    yamsteroo Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Gizmo is beautiful! :)

After the usual wicking top and capris and a decent pair of shoes I've treated myself to a Garmin Forerunner 210 with HRM.

I love how easy it is - just put it on, press start and off I go, changing direction at will without worrying about remembering the route to map it out later. It doesn't lose signal (I'd tried some apps on my phone but without exception they all lost signal for hefty amounts of time as I run in the woods, making the information kind of redundant - I did a 2min mile once lol) and gives me all the information I could want.

It will really come into it's own when I graduate as I can load intervals into it before hand then just use my ipod for music.

It was £153 here in the UK so I'm hoping it will give good service for a few years but already I can't imagine being without it :)
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    This is my review of the iFitness Hydration Running Belt:

83280_BLACK_LG.jpg

I got the belt about a month ago, and have done several of my runs using it. One thing I love about it is that you can kind of personalize it to your liking. The standard belt holds two 8 oz bottles and has a small zip pack to store your house key, your phone and a few dollars. It has two bungee clips to hang gel packs from, and the elastic waist band seems pretty durable.

My first use of it was on a small 3 mile run. I filled both bottles and took off. I had to stop and adjust the waist band a few times before it would sit properly on my waist and not bounce or slip over my butt.

Pros
    -Stylish
    -Compact
    -Sits well
    -Durable
    -Can add attachments

Cons
    -Bottles don't have a stopper, so if you squeeze them too hard when taking them out you can water yourself.
    -Pouch isn't in a good spot for GPS coverage

In all I defenately recommend this pouch.
  • Lyerin
    Lyerin Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Things I don't run without:

1. Brooks Adrenaline 13 GTS shoes. I love them with a fiery passion. The best shoes I've ever had. Ever.

2. Bottoms. I usually wear a variety of capris to run, mostly purchased at TJ Maxx on deep sale. I have two SparkleTech Sparkle Skirts, and I love them a whole lot. Bonus that they have a zippered pocket for my house key (which I don't need to carry when I run in the early AM because my DH is still home, but if I run later in the day, I need to carry my key). The pockets in the legs of the attached shorts are awesome too. I can't wear them everyday though because I only own two. LOL

3. Top. Today I wore a free technical t-shirt I got at my 5K. Most of the time I wear tanks or t-shirts from either TJ Maxx or Wal*Mart (I love the Danskin stuff). Nothing too fancy, but I generally don't wear just plain old cotton t-shirts anymore because I prefer something wicking.

4. Sports Bra. Moving Comfort and Under Armour are my favorites, but I prefer the older styles of Moving Comfort bras. I'm always on the hunt for a new, inexpensive brand that keeps everything in place.

5. Socks. I wear cheap Danskin ones from Wal*Mart, and I really love them. They are ultra thin and don't cause any chaffing or blister issues.

7. HRM. I have a super-old Polar F7 (they don't make it anymore). It is still chugging along, and I'll use it until it dies a natural death or until my Mom buys me a fancy new one as a gift (hey, if she asks what I want . . . ). I covet a Garmin with HRM strap.

8. Headband/hair tie. I wear Sweaty Bands head bands every time I workout/run. I prefer the 1" thick ones, but unlike every other kind I've tried, they NEVER SLIP OUT OF PLACE EVER. I hate my hair sticking to my face when its sweaty and these bands totally keep it out of my way. I prefer the Scuncii black hair ties (the kind with no metal). I buy them at the drugstore by the card that has like 25 on it.

9. My glasses. I wear my glasses, which have transitions lenses, and they double as my sunglasses.

10. My iPhone. I use the C210K app, the Zombies, Run! app and MapMyFitness when I run. I love having my phone right with me.

11. Yurbuds ear buds. I love these things because, unlike my regular apple ones, they never fall out of my ears, ever.

That's all. It looks like a lot, all written out, but I swear I don't think I bring/wear that much. I just wear my regular underwear. As long as it doesn't ride up, it's fine for me to run in.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    I love love love Sweaty Bands!!!
  • Lyerin
    Options

They are so awesome! I pretty much can't workout now unless I have one. I am addicted to the blissful feeling of NO HAIR IN MY FACE. :smile:

I ordered 3 new ones this weekend because they had a 20% off sale. I got the out of this world one (blue with night sky stars) and two wicked exclusive solids (turquoise and fuchsia - I already own the tangerine one). I think that is going to be it for a while for me. I mostly want to have enough that I can rotate them so I always have a clean and dry one to use.
  • likitisplit
    Options

They are so awesome! I pretty much can't workout now unless I have one. I am addicted to the blissful feeling of NO HAIR IN MY FACE. :smile:

I ordered 3 new ones this weekend because they had a 20% off sale. I got the out of this world one (blue with night sky stars) and two wicked exclusive solids (turquoise and fuchsia - I already own the tangerine one). I think that is going to be it for a while for me. I mostly want to have enough that I can rotate them so I always have a clean and dry one to use.

I hunted through their site a couple weeks ago. A few of them are priced at $12 instead of $15, so I got an assortment of the cheaper ones. I just rinse them out after a run and hang to dry. They usually dry within a couple hours.

Oooh. Now I want this one: http://www.sweatybands.com/en/shop-sweaty-products/floral/florals/blossom.aspx
  • Lyerin
    Options
    The "Celebration" one is probably my favorite right now and it is only $8 on the site.