Hey, Fat Girl

Options

Replies

• happypam
    happypam Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    WOW, thank you for posting that! I REALLY needed to read it!

I did my first outdoor run this past weekend and I swear I was more nervous about people seeing me run than the run itself! Every car that drove by felt like their eyes were trained directly on me, judging me, watching my body parts jiggle as I moved, and if they drove by as my pattern changed from the jog to walk I was certain they were saying "Oh look at the fat girl, can't run for very long, go eat another cheeseburger!"...

But the look of pride in my husband and son's eyes when I came back in the door after completing my run made it all go away! And I'm going back out again TONIGHT! :bigsmile:
  • Sweetchar417
    Sweetchar417 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Wow. *tears* Loved it!
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I must confess that Everytime I run I do tear up because I never thought I could run without killing myself.
    Yeah. Me too.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Bumping because I need an inspirational cry.
  • kar328
    kar328 Posts: 4,159 Member
    Options
    Good timing with bumping. I just got in from doing W6D2 of C25K and reading it made me tear up again.
  • SaishaLea
    SaishaLea Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    bump
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Let's bump this for those who haven't gotten a chance to read.
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I teared up too when reading it a week ago. It is definitely an emotional thing for me still.
  • Lyerin
    Lyerin Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I love this every time I read it. I actually really like his blog even though I have no interest in being an ultra runner. He seems like a great guy.
  • teamAmelia
    teamAmelia Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Clap...clap....clap.

I'm glad that I'm not the only one who teared up reading it. It was definitely motivational.
  • phoenixgirl81
    phoenixgirl81 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I wish I could go back and tell this to myself as I was just starting out. Oh boy did I need to hear this.

Now, on the other side of it, having just finished a first "long race" (14km - approx 8 miles) in 1 hour 47 min 48 sec, I can say it's so true. I DO look at the runners who are just starting out with immense respect and admiration. I mentally go back there to where it all started for me and I want to go up to them and tell them they're totally rocking this course and they truly are my heroes because they are starting to believe that they are worthy...and it only gets easier once you do that.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    The sheer courage to start without a guarantee of success is pretty astounding
  • Raasy
    Raasy Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    I love this blog.. I actually copied and pasted the full thing in my blog when I first started my journey. And when I was going through my C25k training I went back to it often, just to remind myself that others may be judging me, but more are probably secretly cheering me on.
    Now that I am training for my half marathon, I need to make sure I read it a couple more times, this is truly inspirational
  • mmipanda
    mmipanda Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I will try to think of this every time I want to break down in a fit of self-loathing and perceived judgement. I hate being at the gym or exercising in public because I think everyone is secretly laughing at me.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Not really. Mostly they are you a year or two from now.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Bump.
  • letzdothiz
    letzdothiz Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    that was beautiful!! great words to start my journey on thank you :flowerforyou:
  • jigsaw_me
    jigsaw_me Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    wow .. thanks for posting that ...
  • saratague
    saratague Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this.

I've seen it before and it reminds me of GOOD things every time.

I am one of the heavy girls that hates (HATES HATES HATES) working out in front of other people because I totally think they are judging me.

When I had a gym membership I stopped going because I was the only fat person there - What I didn't realize is that people WERE judging me, but POSITIVELY.

Like someone else said, it's nice to remember that this isn't high school anymore and that people generally are good and will commend you if you are trying to better yourself.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Thanks for posting this.

I've seen it before and it reminds me of GOOD things every time.

I am one of the heavy girls that hates (HATES HATES HATES) working out in front of other people because I totally think they are judging me.

When I had a gym membership I stopped going because I was the only fat person there - What I didn't realize is that people WERE judging me, but POSITIVELY.

Like someone else said, it's nice to remember that this isn't high school anymore and that people generally are good and will commend you if you are trying to better yourself.

Many of the people there were the fat person there at one point. It doesn't take long to not be that person.

Some day, you'll go to the gym and you'll see this person timidly trying out the elliptical for the first time. And you'll want to run over and say "right on!!!" but you know it'll just scare them even more....