Irritated

Options
jadeblack81
jadeblack81 Posts: 27 Member
I did W3 D2 yesterday. I noticed during the first run, my legs got sore right off the bat. I started thinking maybe as I move ahead in the program, I might need to add another rest day in or something. As I went on though, I realized that the soreness seemed to feel similar to what I felt the first week when I spent a lot of my workday standing. But I really didn't spend much time on my feet yesterday, couple parking lot walks back and forth to car and bathroom. I'm frustrated because that soreness/achiness in my lower legs took away from my run and made it less enjoyable and harder to get through. I'm wondering, as I move ahead, will my body adjust? Right now, I'm seriously thinking of spending more time on my butt if that's what it'll take to avoid those aches. I am really enjoying my runs so far and am feeling so good about sticking with it! I know not everyday is perfect and I cannot control everything, but it was a serious drag on my enthusiasm....

Replies

• rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    It will get easier yes. When you run you use different muscles than when you walk, so because you are just now starting to use them they kind of have to get used to the use. Just like when you start a new exercise routine and you feel the aches and pains from that, same thing here. Honestly, you just have to take the rest days and keep going. It does get easier, I promise. W3 and going on from there is where the runs will start to affect you more and more, push through if you can, if you can't scale back the prior week. Don't be afraid of the pain, but listen to it.
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    It will get easier yes. When you run you use different muscles than when you walk, so because you are just now starting to use them they kind of have to get used to the use. Just like when you start a new exercise routine and you feel the aches and pains from that, same thing here. Honestly, you just have to take the rest days and keep going. It does get easier, I promise. W3 and going on from there is where the runs will start to affect you more and more, push through if you can, if you can't scale back the prior week. Don't be afraid of the pain, but listen to it.

Exactly this! Especially the "don't be afraid of the pain, but listen to it". It isn't easy but it isn't impossible is what I tell myself!
  • kristafb
    kristafb Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I'm halfway through week 3 myself and have found that my legs, especially shins, are getting stronger. That said I have found that on busy days, where i'm on my feet a lot, I find it harder to do my run and I've had to start icing my shins afterward,which helps a lot. I also take 2 days between runs, instead of 1.
  • TimeForMe99
    TimeForMe99 Posts: 309
    Options
    Consider stretching a bit during the walking times. I tried this today and it made a world of difference. You body will adjust but it takes time and sometimes you will take a step back.

I assume you're wearing proper running shoes? If not, go to the nearest running store and get fitted. This alone will alleviate the leg pain.