What do you think of my workout routine?

Options
Annelies11
Annelies11 Posts: 174 Member
So I work out at home, and have a set of dumbbells that go up to 50 lbs each, 100 lbs total. I have been doing several different exercises for a couple of weeks that I found here and there (nothing structured). I have slowly been integrating this into a program that I think I can do. Here it is:

Workout A

Squat with weights high
Stationary Lunges with weights
Deadlift with weights
Calf-raises with weights
Wall-sit till fail
Standing crunch w weights
Bent-over row with weights
Shoulder Press with weights
Plank till fail, 3 times

Workout B

Squats with weights high
Stationary Lunges with weights
Deadlift with weights
Calf-raise with weights
Bridge till fail
Bicycle Crunch (slow till fail)
Side&Front Lateral raises with weights
Full pushup
Dips

I alternate workout A and B, and have at least 1 rest day in between. Anytime it mentions 'with weights' that means I use the dumbbells, and use the highest weight I can manage for 3 sets of 10 reps, with 1 min rest in between each set.

Do you think this routine will give me results (increase my muscle mass and help my lose body fat?) Do you think I am doing anything horribly wrong? Is there anything I am doing too much and should eliminate? Is there anything really important that I am leaving out? The reason I made up my own program was because the programs that already exist (starting strength... nrol4w... stronglifts... ets...) all require more equipment than I have, or require you to go to the gym. I do not have room in my house for anything but the dumbbells I have.

Any advice would be much appreciated!!

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    How long have you been strength training - the couple of weeks you mention? Did you do any before?
  • Annelies11
    Annelies11 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    How long have you been strength training - the couple of weeks you mention? Did you do any before?

Yes the couple of weeks, and only with 8lb weights. I just got my new dumbbell set this week so have only done 1 workout with heavier weight. No, I didn't do any before. I have heard that since I am a beginner, I should stick to higher reps for the first couple of weeks to get used to good form. Should I do that? Right now I am doing 10 reps of most exercises, but more reps of some of the easier ones.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Sorry for the delay in the response.

I would suggest the following routine, as adapted for dumbbells.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=4195843&page=1

"A Simple beginner's Routine
    You will do 3 work outs per week on non consecutive days. The first work out is your heavy work out. The second work out is your medium work out, use 10% less weight for your work sets. The final work out for the week is your lite work out, use 20% less weight.

Do a lite warm up with 1/4 of your work sets weight. Do a medium warm up with 1/2 of your work sets weight. Do 2 work sets with the same weight. Choose a starting weight and start light.

These are the seven exercises you will be starting with.

Squats
    Bench Presses
    Bent-Over Rows
    Overhead Barbell Presses
    Stiff-Legged Deadlifts
    Barbell Curls
    Calf Raises

You will be running this program on a five week cycle as follows:
    The first week do all 4 sets for 8 reps.
    The second week do all 4 sets for 9 reps.
    The third week do all 4 sets for 10 reps.
    The fourth week do all 4 sets for 11 reps.
    The fifth week do all 4 sets for 12 reps.
    If you got all of the required reps on the fifth week then increase the weight by 10% and

repeat the cycle. If you didn't get all of the reps on the fifth week then repeat the cycle with the same weight. You shouldn't need more than one minute rest between the warm up sets and you shouldn't need more than one minute thirty seconds between the work sets.
    Do some cardio and abs work on non weight training days."

You can use DBs for most - but for the ones that it is not really effective do the following swaps:

Squats = bulgarian split squats
    Calf Raises (I would actually swap this out for tricep dips). If you want to do calf raises you can do them on a step where your toe is on the step and you basically drop your heel low and then stand on tip toe.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    ^^Solid advice above me.

I've done some calf raises using DBs before. Not the most efficient movement ever, but it can be done. I'd either find a step (as she recommended) , or use mats or a board so you can increase the range of motion. I typically stand on the edge of my deadlift platform or a plate so I can have an extra 1-2" of ROM.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Locking as part of our new procedure to try to help track open threads: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/914180-thread-locking-and-intake-follow-ups

Feel free to PM either myself or SideSteel to unlock if you want to add anything or have questions. Please link this thread in the PM.
This discussion has been closed.