4th of July Weight Loss Challenge Anyone?

Options
pal00ga
pal00ga Posts: 139 Member
Hey guys, so I miss having weight loss challenges. I was thinking of just doing a summer one to June 1 or something, but then that just seemed too short. I like having 2 to 3 month long challenges myself, and I figured the 4th of July is when a lot of us will probably be hanging out with family and friends who maybe haven't seen us in a bit or at least not with shorts/bathing suits on!
The 4th of July is actually on a Thursday, so I'll probably post updates every Thursday, but I see no harm in starting early to let some people jump in as well :)

I know my family usually gets together for a big cookout at the lake with fireworks, tubing, riding around on my brother's boat, volleyball, etc. I would really like to be at my goal weight (below 160) by then and feel good walking around in a bathing suit.
We have 11.5 weeks, so let's get this started!!

Starting Weight: 171.2
Goal Weight: 159 (anything less than 160)

Replies

• annwyatt69
    annwyatt69 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I'm in! I hope to see better results by that time than I did in the months of February and March!

Starting weight: 158
    Goal weight: 145
  • MaggyMaizy2
    MaggyMaizy2 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I'm in, too! I don't have much to lose (wow - this is the first time I've ever said that!!) but, I do need to get back to the gym. Hmmm... maybe I can tighten up some of this saggy skin!

Starting weight: 156.5
    Goal weight: 150
    Overall Goal: daily exercise
  • spfldpam
    spfldpam Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I am in. I signed up for the other personal challenge on here but not many posted to it.
    I don't have much to loose at this point but I would like to get to 130 and then maintain (the tough part).
    Current weight: 131.2
    Goal: 130 and maintain and continue to walk 2 miles at 5:30am to walking dvd, 100 or more squats a day, go to the gym to workout for cardio and weight machines 3-4 times a day.
    Good luck to all!
  • TriciaAllen7251
    TriciaAllen7251 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Hello all! What an awesome challenge. I am currently stalled (no weight loss in the past 3 weeks). This may be what I need to get over that hurdle.

I am 48 years old and in Aug 2011 I had gastric banding at 380 pounds. I have lost just under 130 pounds when I get to a loss of 150 pounds I am going to have my first tattoo done.

Starting Weight: 251.7
    Goal Weight: 231 (or lower)

Lofty goal but it can be done. Good luck everyone!
  • bel738
    bel738 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    OK I AM IN...I WILL INPUT MY WEIGHT ON THURSDAY..AND GET STARTED TODAY....I NEED TO BE COMMITED TO SOMETHING SO COUNT ME IN...
  • pal00ga
    Options
    I'm so glad to see all of you joining me! I do so much better when I have a goal in mind and people sharing in with me. I believe we can all do it! With it being the end of a semester, I've been super busy and unable to find time for the gym, but now things are calming down a bit with finals coming up, so I'm finding time to hit the gym. My workout goal is to keep a routine of going to the gym 2 or 3 times a week for an hour to hour and a half each time. It's hard with school, but I'm going to try!
    I kept thinking of getting a tattoo when I reach my next goal as well, but I'm not so sure what I would get, so I'm going to hold out on that. Plus I'm going to be in Europe next year for a few months, so I'm saving up for that. :)
  • spfldpam
    spfldpam Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    4/11/13-Current weight: 131.2
    Goal: 130 and maintain and continue to walk 2 miles at 5:30am to walking dvd, 100 or more squats a day, go to the gym to workout for cardio and weight machines 3-4 times a day.

4/18/13 130.20 loss of 1 pound. .20 pounds from my personal goal weight!
    Walked 2 miles at 5:30 M-F the last week, 100 squats done daily and went to the gym Thursday, Sat, Monday, Tuesday and today Thursday doing cardio and weight machines. Met with the trainer at the gym Tues after my workout to change it up some since I have been doing the same cardio and weight machines for three months now. Will start the new workout program today after work!
  • pal00ga
    Options
    wooooo hice!

Starting Weight:171.2
    Goal Weight: 159

4/18/13: 171.2
  • bethlaf
    bethlaf Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    i am in !!!
    Start Weight 281
    Gaol 259
    loss 22 lbs.
    In 11 weeks, i think i can do that!!!
  • sbbanded
    sbbanded Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I would love to do this with yall! I have had my band for almost a year (5/8/12) and am not even near my goal but no worries I will get there!

Today - 214.2
    Ultimate goal - 160-150

I hope to reach onederland between now and the 4th =)
  • MaggyMaizy2
    MaggyMaizy2 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Checking in!
    SW: 156.5
    CW: 154.5
    GW: 150

Have a great day!!
  • Kalah7Renae12Vera
    Kalah7Renae12Vera Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    What an excellent idea to reward yourself for meeting your goal... I may have to follow suit!

Hello all! What an awesome challenge. I am currently stalled (no weight loss in the past 3 weeks). This may be what I need to get over that hurdle.

I am 48 years old and in Aug 2011 I had gastric banding at 380 pounds. I have lost just under 130 pounds when I get to a loss of 150 pounds I am going to have my first tattoo done.

Starting Weight: 251.7
    Goal Weight: 231 (or lower)

Lofty goal but it can be done. Good luck everyone!
  • Kalah7Renae12Vera
    Options
    I have a standing goal already for July 4th as it is my son's birthday, so I may as well join you ladies so I can have some encouragement!

Starting Weight (Today): 240
    Goal Weight (July 4th): 200
    Ultimate Goal (Baby Time): 160

I know this is a bit of a stretch for a little over 2 month's time, but I am training for my first 5k & the weather is getting nice so I am hopeful. I would love to hit that 200 mark to celebrate my son's 1st birthday, as I weighed 360 pounds the day he was born.

Good luck everyone! Please feel free to add me here or on Facebook (where I am most active) so that we can do this together!
  • Kalah7Renae12Vera
    Options
    Hold me accountable: I have made a personal goal to lose 40 lbs by my son's birthday on July 4th. I understand this is an extremely optimistic goal, but this wouldn't be any fun if all of you believed I could & none of you doubted it. I am willing to bet burpees, reps, miles, you name it... if I don't weigh 200 lbs when I wake up on July 4th, I will do them all... but if I win, you have to complete the challenge you bet me... who's ready to get down and sweaty? (Posted this on my Facebook and my MFP to get bets in... a good way to stay motivated!) Who's in?
  • pal00ga
    Options
    Oh wow! I never thought of betting each other or having consequences if we don't reach out goal.
    Well instead of really betting anyone, I am going to say that as a consequence, if I can't reach my goal by July 4th, I will...
    Well, I'm a little lost on good ways to really punish myself that will really matter to me. I'm thinking:
    Not allow myself to watch ANY TV/movies for the entire month. (I don't watch a lot now, but it is my weekend chill out activity)
    Instead, make myself go to the gym on the weekends as well.
    Not allow myself on Facebook for a week (this will actually be difficult).
    I think these should really keep me motivated. Maybe they sound silly to you, but I'm hoping they will help me focus.
  • Kalah7Renae12Vera
    Options
    Normally people focus their attention on rewards if they make the goal... but some of us just learn to live without the prize so I find punishment (especially in exercise form) to be very effective. It would be so hard for me to stay off Facebook, that's a good one! Whatever works for you!
    Oh wow! I never thought of betting each other or having consequences if we don't reach out goal.
    Well instead of really betting anyone, I am going to say that as a consequence, if I can't reach my goal by July 4th, I will...
    Well, I'm a little lost on good ways to really punish myself that will really matter to me. I'm thinking:
    Not allow myself to watch ANY TV/movies for the entire month. (I don't watch a lot now, but it is my weekend chill out activity)
    Instead, make myself go to the gym on the weekends as well.
    Not allow myself on Facebook for a week (this will actually be difficult).
    I think these should really keep me motivated. Maybe they sound silly to you, but I'm hoping they will help me focus.
  • Agate69
    Agate69 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Sounds interesting. Can i still join in

Starting weight. 178
    Goal by july 4. 1165
    At 5'2". That will move me out of the obese and into just over weight. After being stable at 178 for 32 months, trying to move downward is why i started MFD an d food journaling. If summer or even spring ever happens here in Mn. I have challenged myself to add 1 hour ouside in the evenng to my regular 60 min gym routine.
  • pal00ga
    Options
    Kalah, I definitely focus on rewards.
    I am allowing myself to get a new special piercing once I reach 160.
    But I like the idea of having consequences as well just to keep me on my toes.

And Agate, of course you can still join! We have plenty of time until the 4th of July. I just like having people with common goals to keep me paying attention to my goals. :)
  • GastricJoy
    Options
    Okay I am so totally in. I am pregnant (35 weeks) baby due on May 30.

I will be 1 year post op on June 4, 2013. So for me it is going to be a challenge.
    I have been able to maintain my weight at 179.6. I want to get to 160 by July 4, 2013.

With breastfeeding and working out I think it is a realistic goal.

Any thoughts????
  • GastricJoy
    Options
    Super Excited