Hello, New and Recently Diagnosed

Options
GunJJacks
GunJJacks Posts: 5 Member
Hello, my name is Jessica and I'm 27. About a month ago, I was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes. My dietician said I should join MFP so here I am. :) I hope to learn more about diabetes by talking with other people that have it.

I first gained weight after my grandma died almost three years ago. About a year ago I started to eat very healthy and get in shape. I made great progress and I am probably in better shape now than I have been in a long time. I also suffer from bi-polar disorder but I have been recovering nicely for almost five months now which is huge for me. Anyways, I got a big boost from my recovery and how well I was doing with eating right and exercising so it was a huge blow to find out that I developed diabetes sometime in the past year.

I feel a lot better about my situation now and I am feeling inspired to make even healthier changes to my lifestyle.

Anyways, that's me. Nice to meet you all.

Replies

• robert65ferguson
    robert65ferguson Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Hi Jessica and welcome to this group. It's good to know that the benifits of the MFP programme are being recognised by the medical profession. Diabetes is a very individual condition which makes it very frustrating because what works for one person may not work for the next. It really is a case of using trial and error to identify problem foods and working out an approach which suits you. If you haven't yet been booked on a Diabetes education course then I suggest that you follow this up and try to get a place as soon as possible. The vast majority of people in this group have found great benifit from the courses they attended. Information is power and the more you know, the better equipped you will be to get better control over your blood sugars. I f you are on medication for any other condition then it would be necessary to work closely with your medical advisor to work out an effective plan. There is a lot of conflicting information out there and it's necessary to use wisdom and discernment to sort the wheat from the chaff. Take some time to read over the various threads in this group to get a feel for the site. When you're ready to ask questions you will find lots of genuine people in the group who are willing to share their experience and provide support and encouragement. The really good news is that the MFP programme, if properly applied, really does work, *kitten* countless people in this group can testify. I wish you well on your journey to a healthy and active life and will do all I can to help and support you.
  • djshari
    djshari Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    welcome!!
  • retiree2006
    retiree2006 Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Hello Jessica,
    I'd also like to welcome you to the group. There are a lot of caring people here who are happy to share their experiences and support you as you begin to figure out your diabetes. It sounds like you're working on healthy eating and exercise already. As Robert mentioned, a class on diabetes which is usually offered by your local hospital, is an invaluable step. So again, welcome to the group!

Barb
  • nczuczu
    nczuczu Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP and to this support group. Like Robert mentions, educating yourself is a very important step and a class or a visit with a diabetic nutritionist would be invaluable. You can get better control of your diabetes by watching what you eat, tracking everything you put in your mouth and exercising. I was diagnosed with Type 2 about 7 years ago and it is only recently that I decided to take better care of myself. In just the last 3 months, I have dropped 24 lbs and more importantly have gotten my bood sugars under control. You too can do this!!!

You have posted on the site and you will have a lot of people wishing you well. You will find that there are some very supportive people that will help you along the way.

Add me as a friend, if you wish!

Nancy
  • bdubya55
    bdubya55 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Hi Jessica,

Thanks for taking the time to introducing yourself, congrats on your recovery progress, you've got a great attitude.
    It's my hope you find as much success, support and friendship as I've enjoyed working this program.

Welcome!

Bob
  • wcucats77
    wcucats77 Posts: 180
    Options
    Hi Jessica and welcome to our group. MFP is a wonderful place for people like ourselves to share information and answer questions about our condition. If you ever have any questions, please don't hesitate to post and I think you will see what I mean by support and education as to everyone's history with Diabetes.

Good luck on your journey and we are all here to help each other going forward :smile

WCUCATS77
  • GunJJacks
    GunJJacks Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for the welcome and great advice! I've been reading some of the threads and it's nice to hear about how people manage their diabetes.
  • BigG59
    BigG59 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the group Jessica.
  • RaineyLaney
    RaineyLaney Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Welcome Jessica :) Feel free to add me as a friend if you want also my food diary is open to all.