question on exercise tracking

Options
Djproulx
Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
I'm hoping to get suggestions from this group around exercise tracking.

Currently, I do not use the MFP tool for exercise tracking. The reason is that my gym(and trainer) use a different software tool and I have a weekly exercise plan that I follow based on the type of training I'm doing during any given time period.

I've entered my 2000 cal/day goals and macros manually and I know the MFP tracker will take exercise calories into account and adjust my net amounts. I don't know if I want that to happen. I've also built a worksheet to track my own workouts and cardio minutes to be sure I'm hitting my cardio goals each week. Lastly, I"m considering using a running tool as I start to ramp up for races this summer/fall.

So, my question is: is it worth the effort to use this tool vs. others? Any thoughts on the pros and cons of the MFP exercise tracker would be appreciated.

Dave

Replies

• spatticus
    spatticus Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Hm it sounds like you have a lot of options! Are you eating 2000 a day no matter what you burn during exercise? A heart rate monitor might be something to invest in too!
  • sk2775
    sk2775 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    It may be worth it to invest in a HRM. They are not too expensive. I bought a polar Ft4 in amazon for 60 dollars and it was one of the best investments that I have made. If you do get a HRM, make sure that you buy one with a chest strap.
  • Djproulx
    Options
    Hm it sounds like you have a lot of options! Are you eating 2000 a day no matter what you burn during exercise? A heart rate monitor might be something to invest in too!

Yes, my goal has been to eat between 2000-2100 calories/per day, with one "cheat day" of 2500 cal as needed. I am pretty militant around getting exercise time in 6 days/wk. The cheat day is not supposed to occur during a rest day from training, but I'm far from perfect in that regard.

Last week, we decided to change it up, since I've been stalled out lately.. (its taken me 75 days to lose 6 lbs.) I will now try to keep each workout day at 2000-2100 and move down the calorie intake to 1600 on days off from training. I need to refocus myself to achieve consistency at this reduced level of intake, since I eat 6 times/day and love every calorie.

I have seen people wearing HRM's but never thought about getting one.. I will have to give this some more thought. And thanks, sk, for the tip on finding the F14 via amazon.
  • mljacobs23
    mljacobs23 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I'll also give a plug for the polar heart rate monitor. Love it!
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    People also enter their exercise as 1 calorie burned so you can track it here and not have it adjust your macros .
  • oldy76
    oldy76 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I don't use MFP for tracking my exercise at all. My calories are set to my TDEE -15% and I just eat to that number and ignore how many cals I've burned. I do use an HRM though so log my exercise via the PolarTrainer website.
  • Djproulx
    Options
    It sounds like your method or 970michaela1's may be the right approach for me. Since I know what my calorie and macro goals are (2k/day 50/30/20) and don't plan to modify them based on exercise inputs into MFP, then I guess i have to decide what my goal is for tracking the exercise information.

If I commit to training for a half marathon or sprint distance triatholon, there are websites that provide a handy format to track. Otherwise, the 1 calorie burned per workout approach might be simplest since it will keep macros steady and provide a historical record for me over time. Of course, investing in a HRM would be another way to capture work done.

Thanks again everyone for your tips and suggestions.