New personal best single day distance

Options
fishgutzy
fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
Saturday I went to my Y twice. At 6AM is did 90 laps (4.11km) and went back at 2:30 for another 75 laps to bring the distance total to 7.54km. In between I spent several hours working in the yard, digging up and old basket ball hoop pole and general spring yard cleaning.

Replies

• SkinnyBubbaGaar
    SkinnyBubbaGaar Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Great Job. Keep it movin'.
  • kimpossible471
    kimpossible471 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Wow - that's AWESOME!!
  • bojkoj19
    bojkoj19 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Great work! I just started swimming and today I just swam my first mile straight!!! I'm so happy :)
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    Great work! I just started swimming and today I just swam my first mile straight!!! I'm so happy :)

Wicked awesome! Now getting to 2 miles will be a piece of cake. :bigsmile:
    Breathing and pacing. When I was doing a mile, I breathed the way I did for 4+ decades. Every other stroke, always out the left side. When I stated going beyond that I had to force myself to relearn breathing. Every third stroke, alternating sides, to help keep better balance. Took a couple months before it felt as natural as the old way.
    I also had to start bringing a bottle of water to the pool edge. I found that by lap 65 (25 yd pool) my calves would start cramping. Water stopped that. Every 12 laps I take a sip.

Good luck getting to the next mile :drinker:
  • bojkoj19
    bojkoj19 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Thanks :) And that's great advice, I still have to work on my breathing and alternate breathing sides. I already keep a bottle of water next to the pool cause I get really thirsty while swimming. I'm checking out www.swimsmooth.com to help work on technique.
    Have a great day!
  • indigo_mouse
    Options
    Great Job!

Every year my Masters team does the 100x100. Most of the time its yards (which makes it 9.1 km or 5.7 miles).

We don't swim continuously - we break it up in sets of 10x100 with different times for each set. I think I have done it 3 times, but the last 2 years I have either been sick or injured. Its fun to do once a year, but my normal day is more like 2,000 to 3,000 yards.
  • underwater77
    underwater77 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Hi! I am new.

My latest workouts are 3000-4000, but I would like to increase that by about 1000m.

Doing the Sharfest Swim in SF next spring!!