A Smoke Free Mee

Options
CeeCeeMee
CeeCeeMee Posts: 356 Member
Good morning all,

Today is day one of "Smoke-Free Mee," and day 13 of losing weight through MFP. All I can think right now as I chomp away at my sugar free gum is, "Why am I doing this at the same time?"

Now that I've officially introduced myself here, I'm going to go scanning around in the threads to see what kind of helps and suggestions I can glean. Thanks in advance for any/all support.

CeeCee Mee

Replies

• dmarie1181
    Options
    Hey there! Way to go on deciding to become healthier!! I have been smoke free for 1 year and 3 months now! It feels a little hard at times in the beginning but before you know it you won't even think about them any more! You can do it! :flowerforyou:
  • CeeCeeMee
    Options
    Thanks for the comment.

On to "Day 2" So far, so good. I've only told a couple of people here at work that I've quit. Just the ones who are (or could be) supportive. I have many co-workers who love it when quitters fail.

I'd say that close to half the people here are smokers and a good number of those have tried to quit and not been able to for one reason or another. So it seems that when others fail too, it makes them feel better. Nice co-workers, huh?

I've been looking at several different apps that will help me track my smoke-free days/weeks/months/YEARS. Does anyone use any smart phone apps for this that they could recommend?
  • strawberrytoast
    strawberrytoast Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Well done on getting through day 1 :smile:

I use the app cessation nation. Just so I can peek how many days its been, how much money I've saved ect.

Gum is a great idea. Keep coming back and let us know how your getting on. Stopping smoking and losing weight together is a fantastic idea as many people put went on when they stop so you are getting in there first :bigsmile:
  • Absonthebrain
    Absonthebrain Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your quit CeeCee! I found this site to be very helpful, quitsmoking.about.com, its a community similar to here and there is so much support and information on there. It really has helped me stay quit, I have been smoke free for almost 8 weeks now :)
  • CeeCeeMee
    Options
    Thanks, I'll check these out.

So far, I'm doing all right, but I miss taking my breaks at work. The only protected outside place at work is the smoking area. We've had so much rain this week that I just haven't taken breaks at all until this afternoon.

I waited until everyone had left for their routes and then grabbed my book and headed out. Before my break was over, a sub driver came out and lit up. While she wasn't trying to blow her smoke at me, the wind brought it in my direction.

Since I was in the smoking area, I just went back inside and went to work. If anything, the lack of breaks will be my downfall, even more than the smokes could ever be.

On the other hand, Day 3 is over with and I survived. And so did my co-workers. :-D
  • angel_of_harmony
    angel_of_harmony Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Good morning all,

Today is day one of "Smoke-Free Mee," and day 13 of losing weight through MFP. All I can think right now as I chomp away at my sugar free gum is, "Why am I doing this at the same time?"

Now that I've officially introduced myself here, I'm going to go scanning around in the threads to see what kind of helps and suggestions I can glean. Thanks in advance for any/all support.

CeeCee Mee

I also quit smoking the day I decided to change my lifestyle. I will admit that it was very tough for me to handle the stress and have had a few days that I thought I was going to fall off the band wagon, but I never gave up. I have not had much success with my weight loss as of yet, but am making an effort to eat healthier. It's been about two months since I've had a cigarette and I do not regret the stressful days; they were worth it compared to other health problems or an early death.
  • CeeCeeMee
    Options
    Good for you! Tow months is a great achievement. You're right, cutting back on health problems makes the stressful but smoke-free days totally worth it!

I still can't quite believe that I'm trying to tackle these two major issues in my life at the same time. :ohwell: However, it was one week ago today that I had my last cigarette, and so far I'm doing okay.

Since I mainly smoked at work (very seldom on the weekend or evening), work has been interesting this past week. I'm having some issues with what I'm sure is withdrawal, which makes me have a bit of a short temper. And I'm normally the level-headed person in the office. LOL

However, I still haven't told most of my co-workers that I've quit. The four people who share an office with me know, but I've not told anyone else in the building yet.
  • CeeCeeMee
    Options
    It's now been 10 days, 17 hours and 46 minutes since my last cigarette.

However, with my Dad back in the hospital and all the stress involved there, I'm quite surprised that I've made it through yesterday without a ciggy, and so far today as well.
  • Xineoph
    Xineoph Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Hi I joined MFP in december with about 20 pounds to lose. At the back of my mind was the idea that IF I could just get my weight under control stopping smoking would be a doddle... And, surprise , surprise, it was!

But then after the initial euphoria wore off the munchies came to visit and pounds started returning.

It's been a struggle. But it can be done. Things are slowly turning around. My food choices are improving. I have develed a love of physical activity - mostly trail walking in the local hills. When you quit, can be like signing up for a complete makeover. But it seems to improve one's chances of success the more components of the makeover one says "yes" to.

Yes to not smoking. And yes to whatever life changes becoming smokefree might involve.

Good luck!

Oh yeah, it's been 101 days for me, so far.