Opinions...Twice Per week routine

Options
ryry_
ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
So my current goal is losing fat but heading into the summer my activities are picking up. Right now my schedule is looking like this.

Monday: Free
Tuesday: Free
Wednesday: Basketball (for about a month)
Thursday: Softball
Friday: Free
Saturday: Free/Baseball Practice/Lawnwork day/SO Hangout day/
Sunday: Baseball

So with all this I'm worried about fitting it all in and was wondering if anyone has tried it or thinks its a viable option. If so, any info/links you can provide is appreciated.

Replies

• Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Take a program like stronglifts or starting strength and do it twice a week. Your gains won't be as good as if you did it 3x per week, but you will still get stronger. And once basketball is over, you can go MWF, if you can handle it.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Take a program like stronglifts or starting strength and do it twice a week. Your gains won't be as good as if you did it 3x per week, but you will still get stronger. And once basketball is over, you can go MWF, if you can handle it.

^^also, to add to this - for LBM retention, 2 x a week should be sufficient.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options

this should work fine. I've got a full 7 day schedule but I keep my weight training in there at all times. Just try to avoid heavy squats/deads the day before any competitive sports and you're fine.

I'd try to do a 5x5 type program on tues/fri.
    or you could do something like

Mon- lower
    Tues- upper
    Wed- Basketball
    Thurs- softball
    Fri- upper body
    sat-free/practice
    sunday-baseball

Keeps you busy the whole time, and doesn't wear your legs out the day before sports.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options

Agreed. It's always better to do less than do more and risk overtraining/burning out. Doing stronglifts you'll still get good gains doing it twice a week.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the feedback...I think I will continue to do my routine (not stronglift's but the same style) but only twice per week and then return to 3x per week once bball is over.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Locking temporarily so we can keep track of active threads better. Please PM myself or SideSteel if you have any further questions and we can unlock the thread.. Please link the thread in the PM.
This discussion has been closed.