how many calories a day to lose weight in ketosis?

Options
arykh4778
arykh4778 Posts: 6 Member
Tired of yo-yo diets and going back to the basic...LOW CARB is the only way to go for me. Today is day #2 not bad granted I also have TOM. My question is, in the past when I did low carb I often didn't lose because I think I was eating more calories (mostly cheese-late at night). I am also having a difficult time getting into ketosis. Any suggestions? I did hear coconut oil helps get you there faster. Thank you for your help.

Replies

• tanigrrrrr
    tanigrrrrr Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Try a few good workouts, maybe interval training to get all of those existing carbs used up.

I personally only like to eat around 1500 cals... you obviously cannot be eating 3000 caloriies a day and still expect to loose weight.
    If youre struggling with the calories.. maybe try cutting some celery up with your cheese and bulk it out more so you feel more full.
    I have a massive salad with everything - nutrients and it fills me more- its also delicious with a great big dob of maynoaise....

If youre only two days in, be patient.. keto can take a week for some..
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    ...My question is, in the past when I did low carb I often didn't lose because I think I was eating more calories (mostly cheese-late at night).
    'Generally' speaking (I can't speak for everyone) if you're eating the proper macronutrient ratio for optimum nutritional ketosis, AND eating enough calories, you shouldn't really be hungry or need snacks late at night.

The optimum ratio for many people to ENTER ketosis is 75/20/5 - meaning 75% of calories from fats, 20% of calories from protein and 5% of calories from carbohydrate.

Once IN ketosis, you can usually eat a little more carbohydrate, but I find it best if people stay well under 10% of calories.
    I am also having a difficult time getting into ketosis. Any suggestions? I did hear coconut oil helps get you there faster. Thank you for your help.
    The above poster is correct that exercise can help you get there. Remember, what you're going for isn't just ketosis, but keto-adaptation.

Ketosis is simply the state of being low-carb enough to have a measurable increase in ketones in your system. However, it takes a while of being in ketosis before you become keto-adapted. During this stage (in ketosis, but not yet keto-adapted) your body is STILL using glucose for fuel, not primarily using fatty acids yet.

Keto-adaptation is when your body undergoes a metabolic shift to burn those ketones (primarily in your brain) and use fatty-acids (from body-fat) for cellular respiration. THIS is what you want for optimum low-carb weight-loss.

The reason exercise - especially high-intensity exercise - can get you into ketosis faster is that once low-carb, that exercise depletes your glycogen stores and they can't get replenished easily. Having less glycogen in your system means your liver has less to draw from (your liver releases glucose into your bloodstream while fasting, between meals, etc.) and once that supply is diminished, the body starts the process of keto-adaptation.

Without exercise you won't even be able to start getting into ketosis for a fewdays, let alone start the shift to keto-adapation.

As for calories: We'd have to know height and weight (and if you have any metabolic conditions that could affect you) to make an accurate estimate.