I'd love to hear your success on Keto

Options
I'm frustrated today and would love to be inspired by those who are further into this than I am.
Thanks!

Replies

• missyyclaire
    missyyclaire Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I've been fairly low carb since Jan 2012, and have dabbled in a ketogenic diet, but never had much success with it til now. I'm 2 weeks into this 'really good college try' version, meaning I'm being very particular in what I eat. No dairy except butter, no cured meats, no grains, no sugar, no beans. What am I eating? Yumminess...
    Beef
    Chicken
    Lamb
    Fish
    Coconut oil
    Unsweetened shredded coconut
    Cocoa Powder
    Stevia Extract
    Eggs
    Sausage
    Veggies like Asparagus and Brocoli
    Avocado
    Butter
    Almond Butter
    Macadamia Nuts
    Brazil Nuts

I try to get grass fed beef and butter when possible. Since I'm doing this all from hotel room I'm a little limited ( I tour with musicals, so I'm on the road most of the year). I have a tiny electric skillet and most times have a fridge and a microwave and try to eat most all my meals in my hotel room. Being a traveler is why you see a rather limited list of foods...yet, they are very satisfying.

I also supplement with Lemon Cod Liver Oil. It's not as gaggy as you'd think and I hear it helps raise our blood ketone levels.

In 2 weeks, I've happily dropped 10.4 lbs. I realize this may very well taper off. I'd like to drop another 40. My blood sugar reading have been amazing (I was diagnosed type 2 diabetic 10 years ago, and have done so well with low carb that my doc took me off my meds last April...and now he's taken me off my high blood pressure meds too!) This morning my blood sugar this AM was 81. I also test my blood ketone levels, which seem to be around 2.

I am sticking with this!

Faith, Do you have a blood ketone meter? It is really worth the money if you can afford it and the test strips. I see you're pretty new here. I hope you find the kindness and support that so impressed me about MyFitnessPal. This is a great place to explore. Welcome aboard and know that we're rooting for you!
  • SadKitty27
    SadKitty27 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Keto is just about the first time I've ever had the weight come off after many attempts. I can easily stick to it, and I'm always full (which is a big thing for me.)

Other diets, and restricting just my calorie count never worked, because I was always HUNGRY and would give up after a month or two and binge.

Fast forward to the present...I started late Dec. of 2012...Now I'm not by any means there yet, but I have made some progress. I started at size 18, and am now a size 12. I've lost a total of 35 pounds and counting :smile:
  • Jasmine_James
    Jasmine_James Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I just started keto this year. On Jan. 2, 2013, actually. It has been interesting. I started at 175 and dropped 10 pounds within the first 3 weeks. Then it was about 1 pound a week or every few weeks. I took some "breaks" in between (a weekend here, a week there).

I've lost 20 pounds so far. That may not seem like a huge number, but I have dropped several sizes. One thing I love about keto-living is that you're literally melting fat. So even if the scale doesn't seem to move really quickly (though for some it does), know that you are losing actual fat cells.

Plus, this is an enjoyable and sustainable way of eating. Anywhere I go I can avoid breads, grains, etc. I can go to most restaurants and get a nice, juicy steak, a pat of butter, and some vegetables. (And it's a good reason to always justify paying more for a filet mignon than some cheaper menu item.)

The last thing I will mention is stick with it and really give it time to work its magic.
  • candicegrant1
    candicegrant1 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I've been doing Keto since Feb 27 of this year. It's almost 2 months in (I take 1 cheat day a month where I have some carbs - I still stay under 100 for sure on those days though).

I've lost a total of 20 lbs so far.

I love this way of eating. It is so easy to stick with and I get to enjoy the things I love while still losing weight. Sure I miss the carbs every now and again, but I make it through to my carb day, get a bit of a fix and then I can go straight back to Keto easy.

Some weeks I lose more than other weeks, but it is consistently going down on the scale :)
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    I've been doing it since August of 2011, though I fell off the wagon pretty hard around halloween last year. I had gone from 222 to 162, but I got back up to the 180s. I'm getting that under control now, but my girlfriend who had been doing keto with me and saw it work decided that she was bored and switched to just low-calorie "if it fits your macros" sorta thing. She's gained 20 pounds from eating lean pockets and lean cuisine.

Since being on keto, my blood pressure has gotten awesome, my cholesterol is amazing, my endurance has increased, strength has increased, my acid reflux disappeared, skin cleared up... There is no downside. :)