Diagnosed on April Fool's Day

Options
2rottndgs
2rottndgs Posts: 21 Member
The title says it all... wish it was a joke. So I'm here to learn, be supportive and be supported. My grandpa and my dad both died from diabetic complications...not a road I want to go down. That being said, I think I'm still on De-nile...I'm not floating down it... my boat is docked, but I'm still there. I "hear" I have diabetes...I "hear" everything the doctor and diabetic counselor have told me, but I'm not sure how to process all this. I think part of the problem is that I don't really feel any different. I don't feel sick or ill...I feel like I've always felt. I don't think I'm doing a very good job of explaining how I feel. Perhaps with more time I can get it out better.

So I'm here...trying to do the best I can.

Replies

• jessiekanga
    jessiekanga Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    You're explaining yourself just fine. Just days before I was diagnosed my PCP asked me "On a scale of 1 to ten, 10 being the best you've felt in your life, how do you feel?" I gave myself an 8.5. She called me with a FBS result of 300 a few days later. 6 months later I was in her office, sugar numbers normal, 20 pounds lighter. Wow, I had no clue how sick I was until I wasn't.

3 years later, sugar good, still losing weight, I can reflect back on how much I didn't feel well, but I didn't see it at the time, it creeps in so slowly. The good news is that you can "feel" denial without making choices from there, so feel however you feel, but make some good choices and see what happens.

Good luck!
  • BigG59
    BigG59 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I can relate to everything you say. Your story is so similar to mine. When diagnosed I did not believe it, I felt normal, I too didn't feel sick or ill. I was only diagnosed because I had my first health assessment in years and only went then because I was made to!

It is only now eight months later almost 70lbs down and A1C in normal range, that I realise how unhealthy I had become. With the complications that come with this disease, I am so pleased I was diagnosed when I was, before any complications set in, and look on it as the kick in the *kitten* I needed to get fit again.

I wouldn't have been able to do it without MFP, so you've made a good first step signing up.
  • retiree2006
    retiree2006 Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Welcome and I'm glad you joined! Even though you had other family members with diabetes, when it comes to you it still can be hard to accept. But you're determined to work on your health at an early stage and that can make a huge difference. And when you don't have any "symptoms" that you can feel it does make it more of a mystery. But you'll definitely benefit from taking control now rather than waiting for something to show up! So ask for all the help you need but begin with healthy eating and activity...which are good for all of us no matter our circumstances. This is a great group of people who understand.
  • djshari
    djshari Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Welcome... I am in the same boat... my dad and Grandpa had diabetes and for some reason I thought it would only effect males in our family... WRONG! Shortly after my diagnosis last year my doctor told me "we'll get you feeling better soon"... and I thought but I don't feel that bad! I have lost about 10 lbs since then and gotten my A1C down but still feel about the same tbh... but I'm hoping to lose more and get my A1C down even farther (it was 6 at last appointment).

We are here for support!
  • bdubya55
    bdubya55 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Welcome, what a great looking Rott in your av!,

It's great you've made the decision to take control of your diabetes, I'm glad you've decided to join us. I think I rented that same boat your in, and on that same damn river too, 30 years ago. The resources and medications available to us today, is nothing like it was when I was first diagnosed. This is a wonderful supportive and encouraging group here, eager to see you succeed.

Working "The My Fitness Pal Program" has been a great and an invaluable tool to me in achieving tighter blood sugar control and weight loss by honestly logging everything I eat. I wish you the same success I've enjoyed.

Best of Luck!
    Bob
  • robert65ferguson
    robert65ferguson Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    @2rttndogs Hi and welcome to this group. Being diagnosed with Diabetes affetcs us all in different ways and our reaction can aslo vary greatly. You start with a great advantage in that you realise that Diabetes is very serious condition which demands an equally serious approach. If you haven't yet been on a Diabetes education course you should take steps to get a place as soon as possible. The great news is that the treatment and awareness of Diabetes has advanced greatly with new drugs when they are required and a much higher level of awareness of the value of mutual support and the need to be well informed. As other have said MFP is a fantastic tool in the management of Diabetes. To be successful it must be applied correctly. Take your time to read over the various threads and get a feel for the site. When you're ready to ask questions you will find lots of genuine people on here who are willing to share their experience and provide support and encouragement. I wish you well on your journey to health and will do all I can to help in any way I can.
  • nczuczu
    nczuczu Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I spent nearly 7 years in denial. I would try to watch what I eat, but I would slip up all the time. I would try to remember to test and then I would "forget" for days and wonder why my control was bad. I would try to get exercise, but I had a million excuses why I didn't have time. FINALLY, in January, it clicked. I knew that I did not want to be 50 years old and start to have more health issues.

When you are ready and willing to make the committment to your health, it will click. Like the others have said, use this tool to help you and you will begin to see a change. You can do this!

Glad you found us...