Got my rmr tested

Options
aliciab307
aliciab307 Posts: 370 Member
Ok so I got my rmr tested and its 1683. I thought it would be worse because of the 5-6 months on the vlcd. Its surprisingly high to me. Now I wanted to use this number to calculate my maintenance for my reset and wanted to know what multiplier to use. I'm lightly active. But I think I'm between light and mod activity.

Replies

• GracefulDancer4Christ
    GracefulDancer4Christ Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I would probably use moderate that is what I use. I do 30 day shred.
  • aliciab307
    Options
    Oh ok I wanted to use moderate but didnt want to up it and find outvthat that isn't my activity level. It may be my activity level as I've leveled out at 2200 so I will probably up to 2450 in 2 weeks
  • GracefulDancer4Christ
    GracefulDancer4Christ Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    you can try it and see then if your not happy with you can always drop to lightly active.
  • aliciab307
    Options
    I know I'd like it, more food yummy! :-) lol
  • aliciab307
    Options
    Also wanted to add tht I'm looking for a number multiplier since the online calculators doesnt provide one. Does anyone know if 1.35 would be considered lightly active? And would 1.5 be considered moderate?
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    MFP levels, which don't include exercise:
    1.25 - Sedentary
    1.35 - Light Active
    1.45 - Active
    1.55 - Very Active

Harris TDEE levels, from the 1919 study commonly used, which doesn't include daily activity differences:
    1.20 - Sedentary
    1.375 - Lightly Active
    1.55 - Moderately Active
    1.725 - Very Active
    1.9 - Extremely Active

WHO from 1985 study and Durnin and Passmore from 1967 study, which includes daily and exercise differences:
    Infinite
    What the spreadsheet uses as basis for 3 possible daily activity levels, 3 cardio levels, and lifting level.
    And what will report the resulting BMR multiplier for comparison needs.
  • aliciab307
    Options
    For the harris multiplier is there a great difference between the inclusion of daily activity calories or not including them?
  • heybales
    Options
    For the harris multiplier is there a great difference between the inclusion of daily activity calories or not including them?

I'll put it this way.

Those that start using FitBit or BodyMedia and don't change their daily activity, have reported that even on their normal average sedentary desk job days with no exercise, their BMR multiplier was actually 1.35 or about. Now that may have been because they do have kids at home, so evening and morning was much more active than they thought, or the store shopping and others made more movement.

That is a big difference when you start out at 1.35, and then add on exercise hrs on top. Basically bumps you up a level to start with.

So take your BMR x 0.15 (the difference between 1.35 and 1.20) and decide if it's that many. Could be 250 or more. Just enough to scare your body and not allow metabolism to raise and therefore no deficit to happen.
  • aliciab307
    Options
    Oh ok i see. I will do that. Thanks!
  • aliciab307
    Options
    Ok so i have a question. Looking for suggestions. I was doing a reset to raise my bmr because I thought it was abnormally low. So since my rmr is in a normal range I am more interested in finding my tdee than completing a reset for my metabolism.
    I wanted to know if I should still continue with the 'reset' ( for 6 more weeks) since I did eat a vlcd for some months or should I go about figuring out my tdee and when I get there, do a reasonable cut?
  • Bettyeditor
    Bettyeditor Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Ok so i have a question. Looking for suggestions. I was doing a reset to raise my bmr because I thought it was abnormally low. So since my rmr is in a normal range I am more interested in finding my tdee than completing a reset for my metabolism.
    I wanted to know if I should still continue with the 'reset' ( for 6 more weeks) since I did eat a vlcd for some months or should I go about figuring out my tdee and when I get there, do a reasonable cut?

I guess it would be helpful to know if eating at TDEE like we are doing for a reset can temporarily raise your RMR but that it won't "stick" at the higher level until you eat at TDEE for the full 8 weeks? If you did decide to stop your reset and eat at a cut, it might be workwhile to check your RMR again after a couple of weeks eating at cut to make sure it didn't go down.
  • aliciab307
    Options

I guess it would be helpful to know if eating at TDEE like we are doing for a reset can temporarily raise your RMR but that it won't "stick" at the higher level until you eat at TDEE for the full 8 weeks? If you did decide to stop your reset and eat at a cut, it might be workwhile to check your RMR again after a couple of weeks eating at cut to make sure it didn't go down.

I've only been eating at tdee for 12 days and from what I've read if tdee was really suppressed it would take a while to get back into a normal range. The doctor said my rmr is right on target for bf and weight. I wouldnt go into a cut now though. I want to find my tdee so i'd up my calories sooner than later. The dr also said rmr will not change much as long as I eat at a reasonable deficit and I should come back in september to see any changes.
  • heybales
    Options
    I've only been eating at tdee for 12 days and from what I've read if tdee was really suppressed it would take a while to get back into a normal range. The doctor said my rmr is right on target for bf and weight. I wouldnt go into a cut now though. I want to find my tdee so i'd up my calories sooner than later. The dr also said rmr will not change much as long as I eat at a reasonable deficit and I should come back in september to see any changes.

Very true, with reasonable deficit and enough protein and lifting, all the things that help retain muscle mass in the face of a deficit, automatically helps RMR stay put too.

Some people's metabolism does move quickly though, down, and sometimes up. Sadly it seems down is faster.
    Anyway, I'd agree, you should have gotten your water weight gain by this point. So anything extra gained is a result of eating extra.
    2 weeks would show up one lb of eating 250 over or below TDEE depending on gain or loss.

So I'd say stay at this estimated TDEE with the workout you plan on continuing to do for 2 weeks or no gain.
    Then add 250 more daily for another 2 weeks. If partial lb, go another 2 weeks and see what it really is and how long.

That gain and what you actually were eating for those weeks will best nail your TDEE for that level of workout.

And if LBM can be retained, then RMR stays the same, eating level stays the same for TDEE.

Take the cut then.
  • aliciab307
    Options
    Thank you! I think I did eat a bit more calorie wise over the weekend esp with sodium. The weight is already going away and I'm on my way back down to the 2/3 lbs range I was staying in beforehand. This week will end week 2 and if I get back into the range and stabilize again then I will up tdee by 250 and proceed from there. Just wanted to know whether I should be in reset mode or finding tdee mode. While I'm not in a rush to cut, I just like knowing what my focus is. Love food, so i'm excited to up tdee to maximize food intake. Thanks again
  • heybales
    Options
    Thank you! I think I did eat a bit more calorie wise over the weekend esp with sodium. The weight is already going away and I'm on my way back down to the 2/3 lbs range I was staying in beforehand. This week will end week 2 and if I get back into the range and stabilize again then I will up tdee by 250 and proceed from there. Just wanted to know whether I should be in reset mode or finding tdee mode. While I'm not in a rush to cut, I just like knowing what my focus is. Love food, so i'm excited to up tdee to maximize food intake. Thanks again

There are not 2 separate modes.

A reset is eating at TDEE, which implies you are trying to find TDEE - one and the same actually.

I just think many are eating at estimated TDEE with a right or wrong guess.
    And either slowly keep gaining the whole time because really eating in surplus, and then the deficit isn't as big as it could have been.
    Or don't gain weight, but still suppressed metabolism and not as high as it could be to actually create a deficit.
  • aliciab307
    Options
    Lol yea i know I guess in my head theyre consider to different things although they are doing the same thing. Eating at tdee. With the reset my focus was fixing my metabolism as much as possible. With just trying to find tdee I'm not worried about my metabolism, just on a quest to see how much more I can eat to maintain.

I think a lot of people think because they are maintaining on the estimated tdee that it is their tdee when they never try to increase and find out what it really is. And sometimes cut and wonder why they arent losing weight.