Starting Week 1 4/21/13

Options
2»

Replies

• likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Yes to the treadmill. Many people on here did the whole program on the treadmill due to weather or other issues. I do about one to two runs a week using the treadmill due to time/weather constraints. If you both outside and on the treadmill regularly, it's pretty easy to switch between them. However, if you do one exclusively for awhile, you'll find that you need a period of adjustment when you go from one to the other.
  • pandabear7486
    pandabear7486 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    A lot of treadmills also have a button or quick setting so you can toggle between speeds quickly. If you can't figure it out, ask someone working at the gym. They should hopefully be able to help.
  • pandabear7486
    Options
    Here's week 2:

Warmup
    Jog 60s
    Walk 90s
    Repeat for 20 mins (6 times)
    cool down.

Good luck!
  • ShinyDragonfly
    ShinyDragonfly Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I started week 2 today. It was challenging but good. Thought about quitting but stuck with it and it felt great. Seems to keep happening to me haha. Anyways, I bought an app to tell me what to do while I'm working out. Like when to run and when to walk to follow the program. The app also lets me graph my progress but says I'm slower than the goal pace. I was wondering, what pace do you do when you run and what do you do when you walk?

I'm currently running all of mine on a treadmill but when school is out on May 10th I'm going to start running outside. I'll also probably increase to 4 times a week from 3 to speed the program along. Nervous about being ready for that marathon in April 2014. I'm nervous about running outside of the gym because there's a lot of traffic around me and no good areas for long runs that wouldn't just be a continuous loop. For those of you who run outside, where do you go/how did you find it/how do you cope with traffic and crossing busy streets?

Someone mentioned it but one thing I love about the treadmill is the accurate pacing, time, and distance intervals. How do you judge milage when you run outside? How do you pace yourself? I realize these are all things I'll need to deal with in running races so I want to get some input.
  • pandabear7486
    Options
    When i was doing it on the treadmill I was running on average at like a 4.5 or 5, walking around a 3.5. Outdoors, I run at what I'm comfortable at. I would focus on the time periods, not so much the pace at first. When you have the endurance to last the length of time, I would look at pushing your speed. I use a free app on my phone, not as fancy, but guides the time intervals. One magazine/website you might like is Women's Running. I bought an issue a couple of weeks ago. I like them. Lots of different topics accessible on their website. Several training guides as well. http://womensrunning.competitor.com/ I'm looking at doing a marlborough splash of color run in early June (about 2 weeks before the program is over) and waiting to see the color run for boston date.

In terms of outdoors distance, a couple years ago I mapped out my block to figure out distance. I found an approximate 1 mile loop to do. Sites like MapMyWalk are useful for that and they also have an app. Since it was a relatively quiet area, even being close to a middle & high school, I just stuck to the sidewalks. Currently we have a local park that has a 1/2 mile track for people and use that.
  • waterfaeriegirl
    Options
    Whew. I am so tired today (I didn't sleep well last night). I am trying to start getting myself excited about W2D1 tonight. Last week felt great and reminded me how much I missed running in the first place. Any words of encouragement for getting my act together and running after work tonight?
  • waterfaeriegirl
    Options
    W2D1: Best run yet! Feel great, good time, perfect weather, and Pandora chose perfect songs. :)
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    That's how it goes :)
  • pandabear7486
    Options
    great job waterfaeriegirl!!! I'm doing w2d2 tonight. hopefully less killer than w2d1 was!
  • pandabear7486
    Options
    Winding down week 2 here. How's everyone doing? Here's a look to what next week holds. Remember, even if you can't complete the whole length of time, shoot for a power walk or even just keep going! You're still doing more than nothing!

5 min Warm-up
    Repeat 2x:
    Jog 90 sec
    Walk 90 sec
    Jog 3 mins
    Walk 3 mins
    5 min Cool-down

Is anyone looking at a 5K to complete at the end of this? I may do a local Splash of Color the 2nd weekend of June, and eyeballing a Color Run when they have dates for my area.