I desperately need help with C25k!

Options
marinadanielle
marinadanielle Posts: 127 Member
Sorry that this is super long!

In any case, I've been doing C25k for about 6 weeks, but I'm still only on week 2 (Did Week 1 on treadmill, transitioned outside, started week 2 a few times and tried to divide up week 3 to see if that would help me advance, then finally realized I needed to go back to week 2 and keep working up from there). When I run, the part that really makes it hard isn't my muscles giving out, it's a combination of not knowing how to breathe efficiently (I have exercise-induced asthma and have no idea how to diaphragm breathe when running) and me feeling like I can't do it and overthinking. Today I restarted Week 2, and although I'd done some of Week 3 and knew I could do 3 minutes, those six 1.5 minute intervals were kicking my butt! I completed the first three running intervals, finished 1:05 of the fourth, 1:25 of the fifth, and finished the sixth. So now I'm not sure what to do. I know I can do a full 3 minutes, but today, I just couldn't do it! I took my inhaler as usual and as usual it didn't do much, I tried to stop thinking but I kept waiting for the timer to end, I tried to set landmark goals but for the two intervals I stopped before I reached them. I desperately need help! I only have 1 week from the time I'll supposedly finish the program and the date of my first 5k, so I need to get myself together, and fast! I'd really appreciate any help or suggestions if anyone has them. Also, with those two missed intervals, should I could Week 2 Day 1 as completed, or do it over again?

Thanks for reading all of this and thanks for any help!

Replies

• Laurayinz
    Laurayinz Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    when I did C25K in the miserable heat and humidity of last summer, and even now, I noticed my breathing pattern was approximately 3 steps for each breath in, and 3 for out. that seems to work for me. Also, how fast are you going? I'm not fast at all, just trying to get it done without dying. So maybe you're overexerting yourself? The point isn't to go for speed, it's to get through it, so jog instead of sprint Even now, my top speed is only around 5mph unless I'm TRYING to go fast for some insane reason. :laugh: . Hope that helps?
  • KReduced
    KReduced Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    when I did C25K in the miserable heat and humidity of last summer, and even now, I noticed my breathing pattern was approximately 3 steps for each breath in, and 3 for out. that seems to work for me. Also, how fast are you going? I'm not fast at all, just trying to get it done without dying. So maybe you're overexerting yourself? The point isn't to go for speed, it's to get through it, so jog instead of sprint Even now, my top speed is only around 5mph unless I'm TRYING to go fast for some insane reason. :laugh: . Hope that helps?

I agree. I started/stopped on and off because I was running too fast. At 205lbs and 5'2 I couldn't run at 6mph. I run at about 5.1 now. :wink: Find a pace that works for you. If you don't think speed is the problem I would suggest talking to your Dr. about a different type of inhaler. Also, if your at a gym, maybe talk to one of them? Hope something in there helps!
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    A few thoughts:

* I have asthma too and really understand the breathing issues. I do, however, think you have hit the nail on the head about over thinking things. So much of running is getting your mind in the right place. Try to relax when running, let your shoulders drop a bit and loosen up and have some good music on your iPod or phone to take your mind off the process of running.

* Then, learn to diaphragm breathe. Do it now! While you are sitting tapping away on your keyboard breath deeply and instead of moving your ribcage in and out, move your belly in and out. This pulls the diaphragm down and really gets the oxygen in. Practice it whenever you think about it: sat at your desk at work, while driving, while watching TV. You will soon get the hang of it and will remember to do it when running.

* Run outdoors. Much easier to take your mind off the time on your clock or your breathing when you are outdoors taking it all in.

* Check with your doctor/nurse that your asthma meds are right for you. I'm sure they are and mentally it will put you at ease. But for me, I got my asthma under better control when I started running as I became much more aware of how my body was reacting to exertion. Now I use a steroid inhaler more regularly than my reliever inhaler, so I prevent the asthma being triggered in the first place. However, I still always have one blast on my reliever inhaler 10 mins before setting off running - it seems to help.

* Consider not doing C25k for a while. I had a break from running over Christmas and really struggled to get back into it. I re-did Week 3 several times over without progressing. So I switched to interval training for a couple of weeks. I do it in my local park and walk/run between lampposts. The difference is I sprint as fast as I can in the running bit. It is short bursts of 15 seconds each time but I've found it to not only be really good fun but my fitness has got better. When I went back on C25k I found I could run for longer. So now I usually either do an interval session once a week or cut my normal run short to do some sprints at the end.

By the way, most of my marathon-running friends have said they think 9 weeks to build up to 5k is unrealistic (took me closer to six months from starting, if I'm honest). Just keep at it, try to enjoy it and remember that running is doing you the world of good, even when interspersed with walking. You are only competing with yourself so try not to focus too much on reaching 5k by a certain date. It will come, it just takes time.
  • kristafb
    kristafb Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I'm mid way through week 3 and I also have exercise induced asthma. I'm having a hard time as well but I do see improvements, but slowly. I slowed my running down a lot. I started running around 5.5 or 6 & I"m now around 4.5 or 5 at most and it has really helped me. I only run on my treadmill, I"m not even close to ready for outside yet. It is such a mental game and I just can't wrap my head around how to even run & propel myself forward if that makes sense. Right now I'm concentrating on getting thought without losing a lung. Each week I do at least 1 or 2 days more than once. I refuse to move on if I had to stop even once. And I do stop, usually the first time i move to a new week I stop after every run and catch my breath but contiue on.

Its not easy, trust me I know, but it feels awesome to get it done when I do. Add me if you like,we can cheer each other on. :)
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Jesu, you all are fast! I graduated in early February. I do temp runs at about 4.9 or 5, speed intervals at 5.5 and most of my running at around 4.6/4.7 (or a 12:30 mile outside.) I was doing 20+ minute miles most of the way through C25k. I also have exercise induced asthma but it really only flares up anymore when I'm overdoing speed work.
  • bttrthanevr
    bttrthanevr Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I have asthma too and I was 224 pounds at 5' 8" when I started in January. I just ran 3.46 miles last night up and down some serious hills. However my average pace was only about 15-16mins per mile. You can do this!

You probably are trying to run way to fast. I did that too at first. You should be running SLOW. If you try a day and fail, do it again BUT very consciously try to SLOW DOWN. Slowing down is hard. You will think "Is this even running?" But it will build your endurance and by week 8 you will be speeding up again AND running 2-3 miles without stopping! :-)

As for the asthma meds...I take Singulair daily to control my asthma in addition to having a Pro Air inhaler. The singulair decreased my need for the rescue inhaler in general. But I had to pre-puff when I first started running. One day about 6 weeks in, I forgot to puff and went for my run...I realized it just as I was beginning so I thought I would just continue and see how it went. It was fine! Running has helped my asthma tremendously. I don't even have to use my inhaler anymore! :-) Well, rarely.

I was also over thinking the breathing thing. The best advice I got on that was to just stop thinking about it. Focus on keeping your chest up and open and your chin lifted with your eyes focused 20 or more feet ahead of you. Don't let yourself hunch over or your shoulders creep up to your ears. That will allow your lungs to work freely. As for timing breath with steps, that too can come later. Actually for me it just happened naturally as my fitness improved.
  • pet1127
    pet1127 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    slow down that is all
  • marinadanielle
    marinadanielle Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Sorry it took so long for me to reply to all of the wonderful answers in this thread!

To answer a question a lot of people have asked: I'm actually going really painfully slow. Just reviewing my log from my app, my first attempts at doing half of Week 3 had me walking around 3mph and runninng a litttllleee over 4mph (14:32 min mile on average). Yesterday's attempt at Week 2 had me at a 13:11 minute mile, so while I was going a bit faster than usual, it was still not even close to 5mph! Is it physically possible to run slower than 4mph and still end up with both feet off the ground at the same time?

I'll definitely have to practice the diaphragm breathing from day to day to get used to it, and I'll talk to my doctor about my rescue inhaler and about possibly taking Singulair! Like I said, my main concern isn't even so much my body, but the fact that I get that metallic taste in the back of my throat and my throat closes up and I'm gasping for air, so I think if I can breathe more efficiently maybe that'll improve.
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Sorry it took so long for me to reply to all of the wonderful answers in this thread!

To answer a question a lot of people have asked: I'm actually going really painfully slow. Just reviewing my log from my app, my first attempts at doing half of Week 3 had me walking around 3mph and runninng a litttllleee over 4mph (14:32 min mile on average). Yesterday's attempt at Week 2 had me at a 13:11 minute mile, so while I was going a bit faster than usual, it was still not even close to 5mph! Is it physically possible to run slower than 4mph and still end up with both feet off the ground at the same time?

I'll definitely have to practice the diaphragm breathing from day to day to get used to it, and I'll talk to my doctor about my rescue inhaler and about possibly taking Singulair! Like I said, my main concern isn't even so much my body, but the fact that I get that metallic taste in the back of my throat and my throat closes up and I'm gasping for air, so I think if I can breathe more efficiently maybe that'll improve.

You're doing all the right things :)

I've found Singulair really good (a lot of my asthma issues stem from nasal drip down the back of my throat - ew!). I also rarely average 5mph. In fact I'm certain I could probably walk faster! But I've found a HRM really useful. Even if I'm going really slow I can see my calorie burn is much greater when running rather than walking, so even if I am very slow I know I am improving my fitness.

Mastering your breathing is definitely going to make the world of difference (and is as much about mental strength as physical strength).