Just want to check ive got this right !!

Options
Hiya

Im new to this group - im Sonia and live in Essex, UK. I previously followed weightwatchers and lost 14lb but then got stuck around Christmas time.. I put on a few lbs and then in January discovered I had high cholesterol so overhauled my diet and started seeing a trainer 3 times a week. I feel much better for it but my weight has been stalled at 156lbs for around 4 or 5 months now despite upping my exercise. My goal weight is around 140lb.

So I calculated on WW my calorie intake was around 1400 per day - I often ate less. My BMR is 1447 so I guess Im a classic case of eating below BMR and stalling my own weightloss. So Im going down the EMWL route. My TDEE is 1990 so a 20% cut is 1590. Ive gone straight in at 1590 as of yesterday and wont be eating back my exercise calories. Wish me luck !

Would be great to chat to anyone who is new and also trying this for the first time as I am a bit nervous about eating what feels like a lot more !!

Replies

• StephieWillcox
    StephieWillcox Posts: 627 Member
    Options

So I calculated on WW my calorie intake was around 1400 per day - I often ate less. My BMR is 1447 so I guess Im a classic case of eating below BMR and stalling my own weightloss. So Im going down the EMWL route. My TDEE is 1990 so a 20% cut is 1590. Ive gone straight in at 1590 as of yesterday and wont be eating back my exercise calories. Wish me luck !

Good job in realising you mistakes. However with only 16lbs to go you REALLY shouldn't cut more than 15%. Most people will tell you a 10% cut would be better. I do fear though that you won't lose cutting this amount unless your metabolism is ok.

have you considered a reset? Eating 1990 for 6 - 8 weeks?

I know that upping will seem scary, but we've all been through it, and even if it feel like hell for the first few weeks (especially if you addicted to the scale) you will look back in 3/6/9 months time and realise how much better you feel (and inevitably look).

I would suggest a full reset, have a look at the stickies, and good luck.
  • DesignerToast
    Options
    I'm doing a reset after working out for too long on about 1400-1600 cals, when my TDEE is 2200. I figured the reset was the right path for me as I'd been having other symptoms of over training. While it's true, the first two weeks are really tough mentally, they are soooo worth it. I'm sleeping better. Way better. I no longer need coffee at 2 pm just to get through the rest of work. My digestion seems to have improved some and my body temperature is up to nearly 98 after hovering around 95-96 for the most part.

I can't say what is the right path for you, but as far as eating more, it starts to become really enjoyable. I'm eating avocado, peanut butter, trail mixes, even a little ice cream. All things I wouldn't touch when I was trying to "watch it". There are some really delicious, healthy ways to add in the cals if you take a little time to plan (And making things more delicious makes it easier to want to eat!).

Good luck to you!
  • aliciab307
    aliciab307 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I'm eating avocado, peanut butter, trail mixes, even a little ice cream. All things I wouldn't touch when I was trying to "watch it".
    Same here, I have trail mix, ice cream yumm. It feels good to have a balance of healthy foods and not worry that a serving of half baked ice cream will throw you off. Yumm lol
    I agree that 15% would be a better route. You wouldn't be so close to your bmr and would probably feel better with more foods

The reset, or even a diet break for 2 weeks will help your body by giving it a break. And if you do gain the weight back then as kiki says, it wasn't a success.

We want this weight off for good so I know its hard to not see the scale move, not see fast or huge losses but you will feel so much better eating more and not fretting about every singe calorie
  • Sonic_1971
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your replies - this is exactly why I wanted to post and get opinions :)

I will up to TDEE - 15% as suggested and see how it goes for a while. I guess I wont know how screwed my metabolism is unless I try it. I have read about re-setting but like everyone else Im scared of eating that many calories after so long. Im going on holiday for a week in a months time and wanted to relax things a bit anyway so may use that week away to up calories and start the re-set if the -15% cut isn't working by then.

So wow 1691 calories per day - I wont know what to do with them all - but I bet it wont take me long to start enjoying them though !!