Hills

Options
fluffykitsune
fluffykitsune Posts: 236 Member
Anyone else despise hills? I can jog for ~20 minutes on flat ground, but when I try to jog on hills I can barely go more than half a mile, my feet get all achy and dumb lol ):

How to master hills?

Replies

• jsidel126
    jsidel126 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I am also working hilly routes into my running schedule. I started doing this the end of last running season after c25k but lost my gains over the winter. If I can conquer hills, then my flatter course speed should increase.

I have difficult time with the steeper uphill portions. Don't have ay magic message. I have searched the web for this answer and have not found anything but put in the time and it will come. I just plan to practice, practice, practice.

Good luck!
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    I just take shorter, quicker strides and sort of "push off" a little on my toes.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    I'm also adding some hills into my routes. Any advice on the downhills? I find those hard on the knees.
  • jsidel126
    jsidel126 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    No expert...

I tend to lean slightly forward and it reduces the pounding from the foot strikes that I get if I am hesitant (and typically leaning slightly back on steeper hills) Forces your legs to turn over faster. If you are leaning forward, your knee is bent and absorbs more of the shock. If your weight is back, your leading leg is more straight and transmits the foot strike up your leg into your knee/hip. This is similar to pushing your weight slightly forward on downhill skis so you have more control over your skis instead of your weight being on the ski tails.

I also try to avoid cement sidewalks on downhill segments because they are so hard on the feet/legs. I use asphalt or grass instead. Asphalt and grass will give, cement has no give on the foot strike.

My technique, good or bad...
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I'll take notice to lean forward a bit next time. I don't think I was doing that.
    Sadly, the roads are concrete with no sidewalks and lined with people's yards, which I don't think I should jog on. This isn't the only route I jog (luckily for my knees). I've been using it for hill training mainly. One day, I'll find another hilly route around home that isn't all concrete.

I appreciate the advice and will give it a try.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Scott Jurek in his book suggests thinking about it like bicycling: cyclists put their bikes into the smallest gear on hills and keep the same cadence with very little effort (granny gear). Runners should do the same - small, fast, light steps with little "push" behind them. I live in a hilly area and this has helped me a lot.
  • Just_Alyssa
    Just_Alyssa Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Hills suck. I can't avoid them where I am. Those guys up there ^^ seem to have the right idea. I'm just pretty much repeating I guess...

From experience (not a master runner AT ALL), slow down a bit and take those short, push off steps on the uphill. Also, mental motivate yourself. I have this one hill I hate, and I count the mailboxes. "It's only 5 mailboxes, suck it up"

From my kids Cross Country coaches, I learned about the leaning on the downhill thing. They used to always yell "open up" when the went down. They were supposed to just not be afraid (hard when these kids were going so fast) and to open up and let themselves go with the downhill.

Good luck!