Nutrition on the YAYOG plan

revaddict
revaddict Posts: 3 Member
I'm about to start YAYOG next week. I'm a male, age 43, about 5'7" and 170 lbs. I've kept my weight down for several years now, but I don't have as much muscle as I'd like to have. This looks like a program I could handle.

I'm skeptical about the nutritional information in the book though. According to the calculator on the YAYOG web site, I should eat over 2500 cal/day. That's a LOT of food! Still, I think I will want to increase my protein intake to build some muscle.

I looked around on the web site for a while and found that when the book tells how much protein you should eat (1-1.5g per pound) it refers to pound of LEAN IDEAL body mass, not total body mass.

So I played with the numbers a bit to get a calorie total that sounds more reasonable to me. I'm shooting for about 2200 cal/day. This on average is more than I'm eating now. It increases my protein but doesn't go as high as the 2500 number I found on YAYOG's web site.

Has anyone else here had success with YAYOG while modifying the nutritional suggestions in the book?

Replies

• NCchar130
    NCchar130 Posts: 955 Member
    I am doing Body By You (9 weeks in) which is Mark Lauren's YAYOG for women, I guess you might say. I'd been eating according to MFP calorie guidelines and almost immediately had to make changes because I felt so weak, sick, irritable, etc. I was definitely eating too low for this workout!

There's a nutritional section in this book too which I read and thought was reasonable but I ended up going elsewhere for figuring out how much to eat.

I'm in the Eat More 2 Weigh Less group now here on MFP which has made a huge difference. Not sure, based on your stats if you are trying to cut fat too or just build muscle which would be entirely different things. I'm still trying to cut quite a bit of fat and preserve muscle as much as possible in hopes of total body recomposition.

Anyway, I'm a 5,6" 34-year-old female currently weighing 168. I went to this link: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
    and calculated my calorie requirements using '3-5 hrs of moderate exercise' and a 15% cut which gives me about 2076 calories a day as a goal. I later refined this based on my actual numbers of calories eaten and weight lost over a period of a few weeks to discover I could eat a bit more than that and still lose weight! There are options at the link for 'clean bulk' and whatnot if you are trying to get bigger and not lose. This should give you a good starting place if you intend to use the MFP food diary (I see this is your first post) and you can take the numbers from here and manually change the goals in the food diary to reflect both calories and macros (for more protein than the standard settings will set you). Once you have a few weeks of logging and working out, you can adjust again based on real-world results, if necessary.

I'm a woman so my results so far may not be interesting/applicable to you, but since beginning this program (Body By You), I lost 7.8 pounds in 8 weeks and I also dropped 2 pants sizes. Prior to beginning this I had lost about 42 pounds...and only two sizes. That is pretty spectacular to me, that eating low and doing cardio and losing 42 pounds only dropped me two sizes but I went down 2 more with 7.8 pounds and strength training!
  • revaddict
    revaddict Posts: 3 Member
    I went to the site you referred to. Thank you for showing that to me!

I notice that this calculator also gives me a higher caloric intake than I expected. (I told the calculator that I want to gain muscle and lose fat while doing 3-5 hours of moderate exercise.)

I will try eating a little more and see how I do.

I started the YAYOG exercises this morning. The push ups aren't hard for me at all, so I will use the book's suggestions to kick those up a notch. By the end of the other exercises though, I could tell that I had worked out.

It sounds like you have come a long way in your fitness goals. Congratulations!