new rules of lifting for women do you follow the diet

Options
tammymusic1
tammymusic1 Posts: 243 Member
SO those of you doing new rules of lifting for women do you follow those recipes in the book. Or do you just use it as guide.

Replies

• rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I don't really follow the book...I do it TDEE/BMR and I eat more than what it wants me to in the book, but it is working. The only thing I have changed though is really hitting that protein mark on lifting days.
  • shanster23
    shanster23 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I didn't follow the diet in the book, no. I did try and stick to similar amounts of carbs/fat/protein. I still saw progress :) their diet is just a guide, not a requirement.
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    I just use the macros as a guide.
  • cphaneuf16
    cphaneuf16 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    No, I don't (eta: because I have a lot to lose). I used the Scooby and IIFYM calculators to figure out my TDEE and am doing around 20% less. I calculated one number for workout days and another number for non-workout days. I also have a FitBit, so I take that into account.
  • acrowder99
    acrowder99 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I also do not follow the book; I do try to stick to the 40/30/30 but I don't try too hard.

I did exactly what cphaneuf16 did to figure out my calorie intake goal. That put me at 1896 on workout days but I am having a really hard time getting up that high on the weekdays while I am at work. The weekends are a little easier since I can just wander around the house and snack! I am not tired and I still push through my workouts with good energy so I am just going to keep going with it.

I do plan to get a BodyMedia Fit soon too so I can see what it says.
  • GoGoGadgetMum
    GoGoGadgetMum Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Personally for me it was too little I felt. I follow my fitbit which actually is very close to scooby calc (katch mcardle)and go from that. But on lifting days I eat tdee.
  • Nefetete
    Nefetete Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Same here, I follow TDEE-20% and have my macros set at 40/30/30.

Some of the meals in the book are pretty good though :D
  • athenalove46
    athenalove46 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I follow the book as far as workouts and as to the "how much" I should be eating, but I eat a Paleo/Primal diet and my macros consist of 25% protein/ 20% carbs/ 55% fat. It is working VERY well for me!
  • lobo_a_gogo
    lobo_a_gogo Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I don't follow the diet because there are very few vegetarian recipes. I do the calorie estimate for no workout and workout days, and I have my fitbit, and manage my macros. To be honest I focus mostly on calories and protein, particularly on workout days.
  • lobo_a_gogo
    lobo_a_gogo Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I follow the book as far as workouts and as to the "how much" I should be eating, but I eat a Paleo/Primal diet and my macros consist of 25% protein/ 20% carbs/ 55% fat. It is working VERY well for me!

55% fat? really. I mean I know its not the early 90s and we're not terrified of fat anymore, but I guess how to you get "enough" food without spending all your calories very quickly?
  • athenalove46
    athenalove46 Posts: 182 Member
    Options

55% fat? really. I mean I know its not the early 90s and we're not terrified of fat anymore, but I guess how to you get "enough" food without spending all your calories very quickly?

Yes, really. I'm eating upwards of 2000 calories a day and the ONLY way I can fit in all my calories is through fat. If you do some research you will learn that fat is extremely good for your body, as is meat. Coconut oil, REAL butter, lard, tallow, ghee, avocados, eggs....all are great sources of good, healthy fats. My diet consists of nothing processed. Just veggies, meat, some fruits, nuts and seeds, and lots of fat. :) It's working extremely well for me!
  • emmycaitlin0304
    emmycaitlin0304 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    New here and vegan so I won't be able to follow the diet. I'm a little nervous because while I get plenty of protein for what I normally do, I'm going to have to really pay close attention. I'm going to use it as a guide and just sub in my non-meat protein.