just joined group

Options
JeffS435
JeffS435 Posts: 133 Member
Hi, my name is Jeff. I have been type 2 diabetic since September 2001. My son is also type 1 diabetic since he was 5. I am taking Lantus and Humalog along with metformin 1,000 mg twice a day. I am working to monitor my food intact with this site so that I can get my blood sugars down. I am happy with my weight. I am around 195 and 6 feet tall. My last A1C was too high, 8.6 and I am striving to hit 6.5 next time in June.

Replies

• alsoagood1
    alsoagood1 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Hi Jeff -- welcome! I was diagnosed Type 2 about 4 years ago and have been working to keep everything in control since. I got off track around Thanksgiving last year and stayed off course until January ... my last A1c was back up over 8 (from 6) so after a nice "talk" (tongue lashing) from my Endocrinologist I'm back on track and hoping for a much better A1c.

You'll find lots of good people here - all willing to help out. Take care - glad you made the decision to join the group.

Carole
  • robert65ferguson
    robert65ferguson Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Hi Jeff and welcome to the group. The really good news is that the MFP programme, if properly executed, really does work and has proved to be a potent weapon for many people on this site in our battle to achieve control of our blood sugars. With your background you are most probably aware of the implications of having a condition like Diabetes and the need to ttreat it with the utmost seriousness. Hopefully you will already have been on a Diabetes education course but if not then you should follow this up as a matter of urgency. Take your time to read over the various threads in the group and get a feel for the site. When you're ready to ask questions, you will find lots of genuine people on here who will not only be willing to share their own experience but will provide you with lots of help and encouragement. I wish you and your son well and will do anything I can to support you in your journey to a healthy and active life.
  • bdubya55
    bdubya55 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Hey there Jeff~

My name is Bob, I was diagnosed T2 in 1984. I too am treating my diabetes with basal/bolus insulin therapies along with the Met, and have made significant progress in gaining tighter my blood sugar controls since my start date.

The My Fitness Pal Program has been an excellent tool for me. By logging the foods I eat and working this program as intended I've managed to cut my Lantus dose in half at bedtime, in addition to cutting my bolus needs at mealtimes by 2/3rd.

You'll quickly find a wonderful group of people here eager to share our knowledge and experiences in helping you succeed in reaching your goals.

Welcome!
  • retiree2006
    retiree2006 Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Hello Jeff. Welcome to the group and I hope you'll find it as helpful as I have. Working on eating healthy and exercise has helped me and I'm sure it will be of benefit to you as well. There are a lot of people here that can discuss a myriad of topics, very knowledgeable, and more than willing to help with ideas when needed. So best of luck on bringing down your numbers.
  • nczuczu
    nczuczu Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP and the Type 2 Diabetes Support Group. You will find that people here have a lot of good information and helpful knowledge. I have had type 2 for 7 years now. I am starting to get things under control. Weight loss and exercise is what is helping me. My last 3 A1C were 8.3 (June, 2012), 8.1 (January, 2013) and 6.0 (March, 2013). I have seriously been tracking my food and have incorporated exercise since the first of the year and it has helped. I wish you much success.

Feel free to add me as a friend.