Do shoes matter?

Options
J_Dragonfly
J_Dragonfly Posts: 15 Member
I saw a post somewhere (goodness knows I can't remember where!) about cross training/ walking/ running shoes not being good for lifting. I'm having some balance issues in the gym (damn single-leg romanian deadlift!) and thought my shoes may be to blame. Do shoes matter? If so, what should I be using for lifting? Thanks!!

Replies

• 89nunu
    89nunu Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I've got separate shower for lifting and running. I need super special ones for running cause get shin splints. But in the gym I prefer the ones that are a bid wider than the super tight supportive running ones and also like when the got a pretty wide sole for some grounding, if that makes sense? But I think it's all down to preference....
  • GoGoGadgetMum
    GoGoGadgetMum Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Since I've been doing this at home I'm using no shoes and I have noticed much better balance with lunges, squats and deadlifts. At my gym you couldn't have bare feet and I couldn't stretch to the five toe minimal shoe things.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I use an old pair of running minimalist shoes, a pair that have hit there 300 mile mark. I would prefer bare foot as well but my gym also doesn't allow it.
  • athenalove46
    athenalove46 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Shoes DO matter!!! For lifting, I prefer a minimalist type of shoe. If you are wearing running shoes or other types of shoe, there are arches and there is a higher heel which will throw off your balance and cause the wrong muscles to be worked. You want your feet flat on the earth with as little "support" as you can. I absolutely LOVE my Inov8 F-lite 230's. They are flat, minimalist, and also good for running. I actually LOVE hiking in these too. :)
  • evedroid
    evedroid Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    flat shoes for lifting like converse or skater brands like dc or etnies. im working out at home tho so im bare feet too.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,978 Member
    Options
    I did invest in a pair of nike shoes (that look a lot like a converse shoe) for weight-lifting. I *love* them.

Mind you, because they are canvas, they now have a rip near one of my big toes and now I can't FIND the nike shoes that I've come to love sooooo much!

I guess I'll go invest in a pair of converse sneakers.