Bench press - how to avoid facial injury?? lol

Options
jo_marnes
jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
Ok, so upped my weights to 10kg (22lbs) for a combined weight of 20 kg (44lbs). How in heck do I get the weights 'up' without a spotter? Thankfully people were about to help me today, but I couldn't get them in position without fear of dropping them on my face! Any tips? xx

Replies

• Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 12,005 Member
    Options
    I think it's perfectly fine to go and ask the gym STAFF to help you out with a spot, when necessary. Smart!
  • becca2911
    becca2911 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    At my gym they told me that if you ever need a spotter you can ask for a member of staff to spot you at reception. no charge
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    My opinion is that if you can't get the dumbbells up on your own without risking injury, your weights are probably a bit too heavy. You need to be able to maintain good form, which includes raising your dumbbells up. I would go to the next weight down and do a few more reps if you feel like you need to do more.
  • Nefetete
    Nefetete Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Not sure what stage ur on since there is no bench press in 1 or 2. However when I used to follow SL5x5 I used the bench rack at the gym and did just fine without a spotter. Of course I had to be a bit more careful upping weights.

If u don't have a bench press rack available ( the women's only gym i go now does not :noway: ) then asking the staff to spot is totally acceptable.