Introduce Yourself

Options
melkadee
melkadee Posts: 5,598 Member
Hello I'm Mel. I became a mom for the first time at 38 years of age. My husband and I always wanted children. Initially, we wanted to spend a few years enjoying the glow of just being a married couple and we love to travel. Nearly a decade after being married and well established in our careers, we decided we were ready to become parents. Getting pregnant was not so easy for us! After years of trying to conceive, we welcomed twins into the world, a boy and a girl! I believe that becoming a mom later in life has allowed me to be more relaxed and accepting of the challenges of parenthood.

Replies

• imabanta
    imabanta Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm Becky. Although I didn't become a first time mom after 35....there is a 12 year difference between my 4th child, and my 5th child, who was born when I was 39. I also have twin boys, born when I was 41. I am now 46 and finding parenting in my 40's much better than when I was in my 20's. Although there are a few different challenges, I am much more patient, and more loving. I know from experience how quickly they grow up, so I cherish every moment with them. I volunteer in my daughter's Kindergarten class, and I am the same age as many of her classmates' grandparents! But, I love being a mom at this age =)
  • kathneal67
    kathneal67 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm Kath and had my daughter when I was aged 34. It was the best thing we ever did. I was pregnant twice and had two miscarrages (early on in the pregnancy, but still hard. Still to this day I wonder what they would of been. My daughter is beautiful and loving and is the best child in the world (very biast mum!) Sometimes she does bad things and then when we go to friends places and we see there kids, it reminds us how wonderful and caring our daughter is. I met my husband when I was 20 yeras old, (through an advert in the paper), wrote to each other for about 4 years and then I moved over to NZ and we got to know each other better and now he can't get rid of me at all. He always makes me laugh and is the best thing that ever happened to me. He wasn't supportive at the start of my journey as I had lost 35kg's before but then have put it all back on again slowly over 2-3 years! But suddenly the other week he said if you don't want that takeaways for tea we can have something else as I don't want to harm you eating. He also said the other day it looks like you have lost at least 10kgs. It is a hard journey, but I know I have done it before and that I can do it again and this time I am taking each day as it comes. If you wish to add me as a friend that is ok. Good luck to you all and I have adopted bob the builders saying CAN I LOSE IT - YES I CAN!
  • asouza369
    asouza369 Posts: 10
    Options
    Hi, I'm Angelina. I have a 22 year old and a 2 year old. I had my little one when I was 42. Complete surprise...but he best kind! I am such a different parent now. Definately more patient. I don't have alot of support with babysitting so If I am not working I am with my daughter. Probably why it's taken me until now to find the time to try and lose the weight and get in shape. Better late than never so I started Jillian Michaels Body Revolution about 8 weeks ago. Lost 20lbs so far. More to go but I'm determined. Nice to meet you all!
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    HI ! I am Jenna, I am 38 and have no kids yet, but plan on having some....glad to join this group !! thanks for the invite :flowerforyou:
  • melkadee
    Options
    Hi! I'm Becky. Although I didn't become a first time mom after 35....there is a 12 year difference between my 4th child, and my 5th child, who was born when I was 39. I also have twin boys, born when I was 41. I am now 46 and finding parenting in my 40's much better than when I was in my 20's. Although there are a few different challenges, I am much more patient, and more loving. I know from experience how quickly they grow up, so I cherish every moment with them. I volunteer in my daughter's Kindergarten class, and I am the same age as many of her classmates' grandparents! But, I love being a mom at this age =)

Hi Becky! Welcome to the group! Twins are exciting! I have a boy and girl. It must be nice to have twin boys. We can start a thread to discuss some of the challenges that we face.
  • Brie4me
    Brie4me Posts: 238
    Options
    Hello ladies!

It's nice to meet you all!

My name Brenda, but most people call me Bren or just B =) I have two sons, ages 9 and (almost) 7. My oldest was born when I was 38 and my youngest when I was 40. I am trying to get in the best shape I can so I can remain active and healthy for my kiddos! I volunteer at the school often, and it is so rewarding ~ and fun! :heart:

A bit about me ~ I like to exercise. I also like to cook. And then I really like to eat what I cook :wink: I enjoy peeping diaries to get new ideas. My diary is open to friends.

Thank you for the invite :flowerforyou:
  • melkadee
    Options
    Hi I'm Kath and had my daughter when I was aged 34. It was the best thing we ever did. I was pregnant twice and had two miscarrages (early on in the pregnancy, but still hard. Still to this day I wonder what they would of been. My daughter is beautiful and loving and is the best child in the world (very biast mum!) Sometimes she does bad things and then when we go to friends places and we see there kids, it reminds us how wonderful and caring our daughter is. I met my husband when I was 20 yeras old, (through an advert in the paper), wrote to each other for about 4 years and then I moved over to NZ and we got to know each other better and now he can't get rid of me at all. He always makes me laugh and is the best thing that ever happened to me. He wasn't supportive at the start of my journey as I had lost 35kg's before but then have put it all back on again slowly over 2-3 years! But suddenly the other week he said if you don't want that takeaways for tea we can have something else as I don't want to harm you eating. He also said the other day it looks like you have lost at least 10kgs. It is a hard journey, but I know I have done it before and that I can do it again and this time I am taking each day as it comes. If you wish to add me as a friend that is ok. Good luck to you all and I have adopted bob the builders saying CAN I LOSE IT - YES I CAN!

Hi Kath! Welcome to the group! I love your quote! It sounds like you have a very loving relationship.
  • dchienku
    dchienku Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Hi there Ladies
    Thank u so much for inviting me to join ur group. My name is Denise and I have two kids. I had my first when I was 36 and my last at 39. I would love to have another. .....I will just have to c what God blesses us with. I could not imagine being a parent in my20's. I would think that would b very stressful.
    Thanks again, Denise
    Feel free to send a friend request.
  • sherylhs
    sherylhs Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Sheryl. I married my soul-mate when I was 40 and we had our son when I was 42. I wouldn't do a thing differently. But, wow, has life changed. Trying to get and stay healthy for me, my husband and my now, 6 (soon to be 7) year old son.

Thanks Mel for creating this group.

~S
  • melkadee
    Options
    Hi, I'm Angelina. I have a 22 year old and a 2 year old. I had my little one when I was 42. Complete surprise...but he best kind! I am such a different parent now. Definately more patient. I don't have alot of support with babysitting so If I am not working I am with my daughter. Probably why it's taken me until now to find the time to try and lose the weight and get in shape. Better late than never so I started Jillian Michaels Body Revolution about 8 weeks ago. Lost 20lbs so far. More to go but I'm determined. Nice to meet you all!

Hi Angelina! Welcome to the group! What a nice surprise! Getting healthy and staying healthy for ourselves and our kids is so important!
  • melkadee
    Options
    HI ! I am Jenna, I am 38 and have no kids yet, but plan on having some....glad to join this group !! thanks for the invite :flowerforyou:

Hi Jenna! Welcome to the group! Sending wishes your way for kids to come into your life in the future.:flowerforyou:
  • d_Mode
    d_Mode Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    Hello, I'm Emilio, but you can call me E. I became a father at 42! I'm a type 2 diabetic and have a wonderful Son. He's 2-years-old.

I have taken control of my diabetes and am no longer on insulin. I dropped 42lbs last year mostly through changing my diet (1700 calories per day) and through mild exercise. I cant wait for my Son to get older so we can play soccer. I also wouldn't mind having another child so that he may have a sibling.
  • melkadee
    Options
    Hello ladies!

My name Brenda, but most people call me Bren or just B =) I have two sons, ages 9 and (almost) 7. My oldest was born when I was 38 and my youngest when I was 40. I am trying to get in the best shape I can so I can remain active and healthy for my kiddos! I volunteer at the school often, and it is so rewarding ~ and fun! :heart:

A bit about me ~ I like to exercise. I also like to cook. And then I really like to eat what I cook :wink: I enjoy peeping diaries to get new ideas. My diary is open to friends.

Hi Brenda! Welcome to the group! Volunteering at the school is a great way to give back. It really shows how much you care.
  • MRSHHJONES
    MRSHHJONES Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Hello, my husband and I were blessed with a son when I was 39. When he was born I left my profession of oncology nursing to become a SAHM. My baby is now 14 years old ! We do Christian home schooling with Abeka Academy.
  • melkadee
    Options
    Hello, my husband and I were blessed with a son when I was 39. When he was born I left my profession of oncology nursing to become a SAHM. My baby is now 14 years old ! We do Christian home schooling with Abeka Academy.

Hi MRSHHJONES! Welcome to the group! I have not heard of the Abeka Academy, but I know of parents that home school. It seems like it takes lots of dedication and organization.
  • rocky503
    rocky503 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies!

[/quote

Took some time and read people's responses, I totally agree with you last statement!
  • rocky503
    rocky503 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Hello, I'm Emilio, but you can call me E. I became a father at 42! I'm a type 2 diabetic and have a wonderful Son. He's 2-years-old.

I have taken control of my diabetes and am no longer on insulin. I dropped 42lbs last year mostly through changing my diet (1700 calories per day) and through mild exercise. I cant wait for my Son to get older so we can play soccer. I also wouldn't mind having another child so that he may have a sibling.

Congrats on making such a change and kicking insulin.
  • melkadee
    Options

Hello Emilio! Welcome to the group! Congrats on taking control of your diabetes!
  • melkadee
    Options
    Please feel free to introduce yourself to the group! :smile:
  • Leigh_b
    Leigh_b Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone!

I'm Leigh. I had my first baby at 37 (5 days after turning 37) and my second baby at 39 (2 months before turning 40). I am 43 now. Since having baby #2 I have lost 30 lbs. I am at a healthy weight for my height but would like to still be 10lbs less than I am right now.

The weight is coming off SLOWLY now so I am keeping my focus on being healthy and fit.

It is extremely important to me to stay healthy and fit late into life because, like all of you, starting late means you need to be around longer to give your kids help and support when they go through college, get married and start families of their own. My own mother was very careless with her health and even though only in her 60's has been unable to help with my children. She could barely hold them when they were babies. She never changed a diaper, she has never fed them, she cannot watch/babysit them. My husband's mother, on the other hand, is healthy and strong in her 70's and has been a huge help with the girls. They spend the night with her, go on adventures with her, and build great memories with her. The only memory they will have of my mother is that she sits on the couch and watches TV all day. This makes me very sad. I feel cheated and I feel like they are being cheated as well.

Because of this, I am DETERMINED to be here for my kids and help them with their babies and make lasting memories with my grandchildren. If my youngest waits as long as I did before having children, I will be 80 when she is having her little ones. I think about that number a lot and when I am working out and feel like quitting I just repeat to myself... 80...80...80... and keep powering through.

Yes, I want to look good and feel good now - but I owe it to my kids to make sure that I stick around for a long time. Being healthy is the key to that and I am DEDICATED to the cause.

Of course, life gets in the way of my good intentions from time to time - but I bounce back and keep going.

I started running almost 2 years ago. When I started I couldn't even run a complete mile without stopping to walk. Since then I have built my strength and endurance. I ran my fifth half marathon in May. I am now working on adding strength training into my regular routine.

I'm so glad to be here with other "older" moms and dads that understand the struggles of getting and staying healthy while managing life and young kids :flowerforyou: