Introduce Yourself

Options

Replies

• paintlisapurple
    paintlisapurple Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone! Thank you for the invitation, mel. I'm a 43 year old mother of 4, 25 year old girl, 20 year old boy, 13 year old girl, and finally... a 2 year old boy. :wink: I usually work out six times a week, but have been experiencing difficulties health wise recently so don't be surprized to see a slow down in my calories burned for the next little while. I'll be here though and will be as supportive as possible to everyone who shows interest in having support and supporting others. I truly think that mfp has been an excellent tool in my weight loss journey, I love it here! :smooched: :heart: :drinker:
  • TAMayorga
    TAMayorga Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Thank you SO much melkadee for starting this group and for inviting me (although to be honest, I'm kinda curious as to how you found me :wink: ) I am the proud mother of one daughter who will be five in September; I am 48.

My husband and I took our time in trying for a baby and when it didn't happen, we just kind of assumed it wouldn't happen. I was shocked when I had a positive home pregnancy test at 42. I had never given up hope, but never really thought it would happen if that makes sense.

I have enjoyed reading everyone else's posts; MANY of them mirror my feelings about being a late-in-life mom, my feelings about being healthy for my daughter, my "plans" for being a healthy and helpful grandmother - someday! I look forward to getting to know all of you. And thanks again for the invite! :flowerforyou:
  • melkadee
    melkadee Posts: 5,598 Member
    Options
    Hello, thank you for the invite, I am 34 and my husband and I are getting ready to start a family. I am here to get healthier so I can be around for the kids.

This is a great idea for a group and I am excited to be a part of it!

Welcome to the group! I am so happy that you are getting ready to start a family. What an exciting time!!!! :smile:
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, I'm Mary. I'm 39 and have a 15 month old and my second due in January. I love being an older mum in that I have a whole lot more patience, however, I'm not looking forward to menopause and puberty colliding!
  • melkadee
    Options
    Hi, just joined this group. My friends call me Wolf or Wolfman. I'm a 38 year old father of 2 boys (3 and my youngest just turned 1). They are a primary motivational factor for me getting my crap together and starting to live right. I had a bunch of bad blood work come in last Sept/Oct 2012 and I knew I had to get it together if I wanted to be around long enough to watch my boys grow up and become men. I have since reversed all of that bad blood work and lost about 40 Lbs at the same time (gravy).

I'm big into fitness these days...I am a former athlete and ran track most of my life growing up, as well as played football, wrestled, swim team, and gymnastics. I'm also a former Marine and just really let myself go these last 15 years after I was discharged. Now I'm back at it and have spent the majority of this year lifting weights and training for and participating in 5Ks, 10Ks, and a few obstacle course fun runs. I also cycle and swim which is why next year I'll be trying my hand at triathlon...training starts in February 2014 for my first sprint triathlon in May of 2014 and have 2 others on tap as well next summer. My current goal is to Ironman when I'm 45, so I have a few years here to participate in sprints, Olympic triathlons, and 1/2 ironman triathlons.

Hello Wolf! Welcome to the group! Congrats on reversing the blood work and losing 40 lbs. Good luck on your upcoming training ... sounds intense! :smile:
  • pamt1999
    pamt1999 Posts: 19
    Options
    Hi -

I'm Pam. I'm 44 years old and a mother to four - 15 DD, 12 DS, 9 DD, and 3 DD (she'll be 4 in August). I've been overweight most of my life and have lost weight a number of times . . . but am starting again. It's been 3 months now and I've lost 30 lbs. I still have a LONG way to go (somewhere in the range of 140 - 160 lbs more).

Being fat has always been hard but this time there were real consequences. Two years ago, I was diagnosed with mild arthritis of the knees. Last summer, I ended up with plantar fasciitis. I was wearing sandals all the time and we were going to Six Flags once a week. All the walking did me in. I went to PT and things improved. I was supposed to go back to the doctor in March but cancelled my appt because there was going to be snow and I never went back until about a week ago.

In April of this year, I started working on weight loss and began walking for exercise. I worked my way up to walking 3 miles at 3 mph. Unfortunately, my foot was extremely painful by the time I would get home and would just ache most of the day. This last trip to the doctor, I was diagnosed with posterior tibial tendinitis. I have a boot to wear now and am back in physical therapy. I had to give up walking for the time being. I am doing an exercise bike (and lifting weights) at the gym instead.

The good news is that the 30 lb loss has improved my knees significantly (they only hurt when it's damp out) and my fitness level is improving (from couch potato, it had nowhere to go but up).

Sorry for the saga . . . and nice to meet you all.
  • melkadee
    Options
    Hi all, thanks for the invite. I'm Marty and am 52. My wife and I had our children in our mid 30's. The phrase, "Your friends are the parents of your children's friends" rang so true for us. The children were in a gifted program in school and nearly all of the parents were our age - I don't think it was a coincidence. We were all ready and committed to have children. My children are almost 13 and almost 16 which means that my daughter will get her driver's license in 6 weeks.:explode:

Since I was 12, I've been the same size, 5'8", 175-190 pounds. The last time I hit 190, I said "Enough!" A friend turned me on to this site and I'm now at 175. I hope to enter a territory that I haven't been in over 40 years! Also, since I've lost my weight, I've noticed that the rest of the family has slowly modified their habits and they are making gradual improvements in their weight. Logging my food has been the biggest help because it has helped to identify all of the calorie traps. My biggest challenge will come in the fall when I'll have weird work hours but I know that my MFP friends will help me through!

Welcome to the group! I am slowly coming to find that I am becoming friends with my children's friends. :laugh: That is really neat that nearly all of the parents were around the same age (Parenting Later = Gifted Children) :wink: I like it! :bigsmile:
  • mycrazy8splus1
    mycrazy8splus1 Posts: 1,558 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Tanya. I have 8 kids. My girls are 19 and 8. My boys are 14, 13, 11, 10, 5, and almost 2. We homeschool and run a small farm. I have been a parent most of my life. My first was born a month after my 20th birthday. I definitely have more patience as a more mature mommy. It doesn't hurt to have a couple of older kids capable of helping out around the farm as well.
  • melkadee
    Options
    Thank you for the invite!

I am Jennifer, a 40 year old mom to 4. My oldest is 8 and the baby is 2. I like to stay active but find that my diet is where I need to focus. I work full time so I have gotten creative on getting in my workouts. I want to enjoy the active time with my kids.

Welcome to the group, Jennifer! I completely understand about focusing on the diet. That is where I need to get more control. Please share how you have gotten creative with your workouts!
  • melkadee
    Options
    Hello everyone! Thank you for the invitation, mel. I'm a 43 year old mother of 4, 25 year old girl, 20 year old boy, 13 year old girl, and finally... a 2 year old boy. :wink: I usually work out six times a week, but have been experiencing difficulties health wise recently so don't be surprized to see a slow down in my calories burned for the next little while. I'll be here though and will be as supportive as possible to everyone who shows interest in having support and supporting others. I truly think that mfp has been an excellent tool in my weight loss journey, I love it here! :smooched: :heart: :drinker:

Hello! Welcome to the group! I'm sorry to hear that you have been experiencing difficulties. :flowerforyou: Take care of yourself and just do what you can with the challenges. Hang in there!
  • melkadee
    Options
    Thank you SO much melkadee for starting this group and for inviting me (although to be honest, I'm kinda curious as to how you found me :wink: ) I am the proud mother of one daughter who will be five in September; I am 48.

My husband and I took our time in trying for a baby and when it didn't happen, we just kind of assumed it wouldn't happen. I was shocked when I had a positive home pregnancy test at 42. I had never given up hope, but never really thought it would happen if that makes sense.

I have enjoyed reading everyone else's posts; MANY of them mirror my feelings about being a late-in-life mom, my feelings about being healthy for my daughter, my "plans" for being a healthy and helpful grandmother - someday! I look forward to getting to know all of you. And thanks again for the invite! :flowerforyou:

Hello! Welcome to the group! I found you on a thread about "Starting a Family in the Mid 30's" This group began from a similar thread that started in April of this year. I realized that there are so many parents that have come to parenting later on MFP so this group was started just for us. Since then, I have come to find similar threads. Each time I find a similar thread, I invite others. I believe our group is truly unique. I'm so glad you are here!:wink:
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    Hello, my name is Sue.
    I have two sons from my first marriage 21 & 17, a step-daughter 18 and our daughter together who is nine.
    I had my daughter when I was 37 and that is when I became much more intentional about eating healthier and exercise.
    I am currently at goal weight.
    I would like to maintain and be consistent about healthy eating and exercise.
    I go to BodyStep and BodyPump at the Y.
    My goal is 3/week but we travel/camp a lot over the summer, so I try to incorporate more walking, biking, swimming etc. while trying not to over eat on camping goodies :tongue:.
    Hubby is a firefighter/paramedic and I'm a nurse so we have crazy lives :bigsmile:
    Thanks for the invite to the group :smile:
  • melkadee
    Options
    Hi everyone, I'm Mary. I'm 39 and have a 15 month old and my second due in January. I love being an older mum in that I have a whole lot more patience, however, I'm not looking forward to menopause and puberty colliding!

Hi Mary! Welcome to the group! Congrats on your second bundle of joy! I've thought about menopause and puberty colliding until now :noway: !
  • melkadee
    Options
    Hi -

I'm Pam. I'm 44 years old and a mother to four - 15 DD, 12 DS, 9 DD, and 3 DD (she'll be 4 in August). I've been overweight most of my life and have lost weight a number of times . . . but am starting again. It's been 3 months now and I've lost 30 lbs. I still have a LONG way to go (somewhere in the range of 140 - 160 lbs more).

Being fat has always been hard but this time there were real consequences. Two years ago, I was diagnosed with mild arthritis of the knees. Last summer, I ended up with plantar fasciitis. I was wearing sandals all the time and we were going to Six Flags once a week. All the walking did me in. I went to PT and things improved. I was supposed to go back to the doctor in March but cancelled my appt because there was going to be snow and I never went back until about a week ago.

In April of this year, I started working on weight loss and began walking for exercise. I worked my way up to walking 3 miles at 3 mph. Unfortunately, my foot was extremely painful by the time I would get home and would just ache most of the day. This last trip to the doctor, I was diagnosed with posterior tibial tendinitis. I have a boot to wear now and am back in physical therapy. I had to give up walking for the time being. I am doing an exercise bike (and lifting weights) at the gym instead.

The good news is that the 30 lb loss has improved my knees significantly (they only hurt when it's damp out) and my fitness level is improving (from couch potato, it had nowhere to go but up).

Sorry for the saga . . . and nice to meet you all.

Hi Pam! Welcome to the group! Congrats on the 30 lbs.:drinker: !
  • melkadee
    Options
    Hi, I'm Tanya. I have 8 kids. My girls are 19 and 8. My boys are 14, 13, 11, 10, 5, and almost 2. We homeschool and run a small farm. I have been a parent most of my life. My first was born a month after my 20th birthday. I definitely have more patience as a more mature mommy. It doesn't hurt to have a couple of older kids capable of helping out around the farm as well.

Hi Tanya! Welcome to the group! Eight Kids ... Wow! Do you have animals and crops on your farm? I just took the twins to an animal farm. They really enjoyed the horses and cows.
  • melkadee
    Options
    Hello, my name is Sue.
    I have two sons from my first marriage 21 & 17, a step-daughter 18 and our daughter together who is nine.
    I had my daughter when I was 37 and that is when I became much more intentional about eating healthier and exercise.
    I am currently at goal weight.
    I would like to maintain and be consistent about healthy eating and exercise.
    I go to BodyStep and BodyPump at the Y.
    My goal is 3/week but we travel/camp a lot over the summer, so I try to incorporate more walking, biking, swimming etc. while trying not to over eat on camping goodies :tongue:.
    Hubby is a firefighter/paramedic and I'm a nurse so we have crazy lives :bigsmile:
    Thanks for the invite to the group :smile:

Hello Sue! Welcome to the group! I have enjoyed playing the Song Game with you from time to time! :happy: Camping can be fun! I want to take the twins soon.
  • rowanwood
    rowanwood Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I'm Kay...had my first and currently only child at 35. Best decision ever for me to wait...I'm a better mom than I would have been younger, though losing the weight from having my daughter was certainly harder and its still a work in progress. I've got a goal to be the same weight for my 10 year wedding anniversary and I was when I got married...39.5 down, 27.5 to go!
  • mycrazy8splus1
    mycrazy8splus1 Posts: 1,558 Member
    Options

Hi Tanya! Welcome to the group! Eight Kids ... Wow! Do you have animals and crops on your farm? I just took the twins to an animal farm. They really enjoyed the horses and cows.

We raise goats, geese, ducks, chickens, turkeys, rabbits, dogs and cats. We had horses but are taking a break from them right now. We have about 1 acre of our land planted this year, Hoping to get more done next year though.
  • melkadee
    Options
    I'm Kay...had my first and currently only child at 35. Best decision ever for me to wait...I'm a better mom than I would have been younger, though losing the weight from having my daughter was certainly harder and its still a work in progress. I've got a goal to be the same weight for my 10 year wedding anniversary and I was when I got married...39.5 down, 27.5 to go!

Hello Kay! Welcome to the group! Congrats on the 39.5 down!!! Keep it up! You can do this!
  • melkadee
    Options

We raise goats, geese, ducks, chickens, turkeys, rabbits, dogs and cats. We had horses but are taking a break from them right now. We have about 1 acre of our land planted this year, Hoping to get more done next year though.

So many animals !!!!:smile: I know living on a farm has to be so much fun for the kids. I lived on a farm for part of my childhood. I have fond memories.